don't click here

Sonic X-treme Textures and Defs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xeniczone

Xeniczone

Thats great! Can you upload those? I have a PowerMac G3 running Mac OS 9. Though it's the new world rom mac, B&W one. Don't think it should make a difference as long as it is running Mac OS Classic right. Also my PowerMac G5 has the Classic Emulator installed on it.

2. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    yeah I looked threw the SSSDK stuff awhile back, than again yesterday,
    the orbit SDK seems to be a great toolset!

DFX is an autocad format I believe, I can export that from 3D studio no problem.
    it makes since that we can use this format since it's actually just ASCII.
    I think its a pretty easy and strait forward format to convert.

A little random history of some 3d programs I use. lol
    Been a 3d studio user 11 years now, although I started in Lightwave back in 98.
    moved to Maya and max as my 2 main programs, never used blender b4 >__<
    currently learning Mudbox.
    Used various other 3d modeling programs threwout the years (Cinema 4D, Modo, ect)

hnmmm after a bit of experamentation...
    it seems that the DXF format exported from max isn't working in the model viewer after its converted to SG3.
    The version of max that I'm in, exports DXF R12 threw DFX 2010 versions.
    Guess an older version of the export plugin is required.

anyways thanks a-lot, its pretty fun stuff to play around with.

EDIT: installed blender, exported a few models to DXF than converted them to 3GS. could not get them to display in viewer.
    perhaps I'm missing something?

3. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    <a href="http://koti.kapsi.fi/~antime/sega/docs.html" target="_blank">http://koti.kapsi.fi/~antime/sega/docs.html</a>

Scroll down, it should say Macintosh tools.

Actually, try to look over that whole page, there is a loooot of good stuff there.

4. Energy

Energy

I'm away a few days and some awesome info has got posted. Great to see SANiK trying again and giving some technical info out. Big help :)

Andrew75 > your stuff is looking pretty awesome too :) Would love to play a recreation of the metal sonic boss :)
    Strangely all this talk of what's in the 718 demo has inspired me to actually explore burning rangers... there was the 2 player mode and other features that were dropped from that game. I wonder if anyone else has ripped that disc apart? Hmm... wonder what secrets lie within... lol :)

5. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Someone on ASSEMbler Games recently posted a little info about that Metal Sonic fight. Maybe this info will help you reconstruct it!

Enjoy!

6. Energy

Energy

Someone has already posted this a few pages back: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?sho...st&p=390280

It is an interesting read though! :)

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hey wow , lots and lots of tools,
    thanks alot for digging this up for us.
    I'm sure Xeniczone will be in heaven with the mac tools!

Hell yeah, if it weren't for Assembler, SANiK and a bit of HXC and people like them, we wouldn't have the PC version models,
    nor would we have extra mound of data that we have today over what initially Senn released.

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Sorry for the double post ,

What I'm about to share is just theory and speculation, not concrete evidence. needing confirmation from someone who's had there hands in the data. ( looks over to SANiK)

anyways..
    If I was working with the Saturn's limitations I'd try to cram as much as I could into a single recourse to make the data as small as possible.
    1 way to do this would be to UV map sections of the Floor texture to certion areas of the sky and wall which would be made up of separate sections of polygons.
    thus achieving more variation for the sky,

Also for the wall, notice in the gamefan screenshot below that the bottom seems to have a bit of a pattern to it.
    the only explanation other than a custom texture,,,is that top part of the floor's central circle's pixels are caught in the UV mapped area applied to the walls polygons.

(Note:the pic below was quickly thrown together I was not going for pixel layout accuracy)
    [​IMG]

I remember seeing a screen of the polygonal layout for the boss stage that SANiK ripped, posted awhile back on Senntient forums.
    was wondering if anyone has this screenshot saved somewhere so we could use it for reference. I've checked the forums. but sadly the picture is no longer viewable.

9. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    That, along with the eye thing is actually pretty cool. I like learning about these little tricks developers use to overcome technical limitations so the games look better.

10. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

O_O, I was wondering what all was hiding in that texture. Sega is a fucking genius when it comes to saving space. I hope your stuff goes together good Andrew.

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Its not perfect , but a good start,,,
    I feel that I got the FOV and camera angles almost right on the money here. ( maybe a tee bit off huh?)
    lets hope the texture tiling amount is correct.
    I think it should be since a camera matching technique was used to model.

Please Note: still a work in progress, textures and camera may be shifted for corrections.
    [​IMG]

(to show camera matching)
    [​IMG]

After looking at the comparison shot , some questions arise ,,
    like..... is the wall texture really the same texture as the floor?
    or is it just that the magazine pictures contrast is off.
    or or perhaps its a photograph taken from a TV screen which caused extra colors within the wall textures.
    if you look at the circle on the stage floor in the GF screen, there are a few bright spots there as well.

as for the other difference of texture alignment on the wall...
    I know its normal for textures to be stretched out funny on the Saturn hardware causing some pixels to look wrapped.

P.S. sorry that I derailed the topic,
    I know this has nothing to do with the PC version of the game.
    perhaps I should start a new topic?

12. Energy

Energy

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    hey Yeah I know Ollie! ^_^
    We are kind of working together on gathering study materials for the boss engine! lol
    he posted his game on the Sentient forums as well.

14. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Quick look at that Saturn model of Sonic- does he have SA-esque eyes... only blue?

15. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

It's not a "model" but rather a cleverly designed sprite, and AFAIK all the sprites have black eyes.

16. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
  17. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

Oh, I assumed you were referring to the Ross Harris sprites. Proceed. =P

18. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    It does look like it, but it might also simply be used to give depth to the eyes, kinda like in this picture:
    [​IMG]

19. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    True, but ti's still odd... they always did that using brown, not blue. As far as I know, (which isn't much), the color limitations of the Saturn weren't enough to force them not to add brown there, no?

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Different artists, different details maybe =P.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.