don't click here

Sonic X-treme Textures and Defs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Then I will pay one dollar.

I think that's a fair price for tools for a shitty game.

2. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    1.54 on the Z axis being the axis going in/out the screen.

No I do not. If you were thinking to use it with the Sonic X-treme Saturn iso, by tweaking the source a bit, one was able to find a model of Metal Sonic's city stage (no buildings though... just a floor with four polys around it for the walls, and two polys for the TV monitors). But that's about it.
    The Metal Sonic model is in the Saturn SDK though.

Great, take the dollar and burn it and then put it on YouTube. This will be your proof of payment.
    Remember to timestamp the dollar for anti-fraud purposes. Etc. Etc.

3. Xeniczone

Xeniczone

I looked up the build date on those screenshots, and that was from 5/01/2007. So this build is really old and doesn't reflect the work that we are doing now. As far as concern 4, on our new build actually has shader that makes every thing pixelette and stuff. So it purposely makes the game look like shit so it resembles the saturn :D.

Me and Andrew75, haven't really discussed the storyline too much. We will cross that point when we get their I guess. The hard part will be choosing a storyline that will not only fit sonic xtreme, but will also please the fans who been wanting this game for 14 years come tomorrow.

That makes sense for the Taxman's formula for the fisheye, but I always assumed that the formula used was the one that stretched the Z axis anyway. As Andrew showed in the overlaying screenshot of the game and our game, Taxman's formula is close and very good, but it's no cigar. That engine allowed the person to change the fisheye strength, the Z scale, and the Field of View. All of this assuming that the Z is forward and back.

[ignore this] EDIT: Another thing that doesn't help is we based our engine on the Sega Saturn version which has an odd ball resolution. Making it kind of wide screen, while the PC version of the game used the standard 4:3 resolution. [/ignore this]

EDIT: Fixing my stupid. Andrew actual made it so that the pictures were the correct resolution. I don't know how he did it, but for now he just used magic.

4. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    Well the first thing to do is not use the Taxman formula.
    The next thing to do is to enter Ortho mode (no more perspective since perspective screws up the calculations).

[​IMG]

The third part is, for verteces off the screen. The thing to do for them is to keep drawing them behind the emitter, so in the end, the fish eye will make a U whose pokes stretch to infinity. The part on the screen lies on the circular region, whilst the parts offscreen are on the || pokes.

5. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Actually, I wanted to rip something from NiGHTS (The Sonic into Dreams model). You don't even have an executable?

6. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    I noticed something

Could these whatsits:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

be what is seen here?

[​IMG]

Also, this is weird:

[​IMG]

Does it normally do that, or is that wine messing with me.

7. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    Err .. the top is Sonic's body reflected on the floor... I am not seeing it.

[​IMG]

The model is weird like that too for others but it's cause whoever last saved it tinkered with the settings...

It's a Saturn trick that abuses the quad draw routine of the Saturn to get a perfect smooth curve, using only 1 polygon:
    [​IMG]

How it works is, or the theory behind it is:
    [​IMG]

... wow... I keep deleting this shit and you guys keep referencing it years later. Save As... it's useful sometimes.

8. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

OH man, I see it now, its the dead animation. I couldn't tell what was going on there. As for the second one, I have seen that little curve explanation, but I was referring to the weird highlighting, probably wine screwing with the viewer though, I haven't tested it on XP yet.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I wonder, if they could pull off the curved eye, why didn't they try to do the same with the muzzle?

Anyways that definitely looks like one of the better Saturn era 3D Sonic models. Shame it was never used (Sonic Jams and Sonic R's sucked due to those triangle spikes)

10. Xeniczone

Xeniczone

It may have something to do with texture distortion. The texture near the edge of the eye is solid white, while the texture near the edge of the muzzle is a mouth. In order to avoid a texture distortion they would have had to make the mouse on a separate plane which would have pushed another four vertexes. So after that it wouldn't have saved any vertexes from being drawn, in fact it would have added more just to fix any texture problem.

I'm trying to think of an exact reason, but for now thats the best I could come up with.

Now why would you want to do that. Draw something that the camera can't see. Seems very inefficient to me. Plus by looking at the Sonic Xtreme PC version it is very clear that the draw distance is something small. Though it would make sense back then for running the game on Voodoo 2 Graphics cards, but a replica is a replica.

11. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

Andrew, you said you were making a replica of the boss engine right, the metal sonic fight. I recently installed the Sega Saturn SDK and I am getting a feel for the tools, etc... If you plan to do a open source release of this, graphics and all, I can try to make a Saturn version. =P

12. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Hey that would be cool. although me and Xeniczone doing a Saturn version of the stage ourselves ^__^
    What sort of tools you have over there anyhow? is it a full Saturn SDK or just that one with a few of the sonic recourses?
    anyways the more the merrier !

13. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

brilliant!

14. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Seriously? :(

Though I've gotta agree, it's quite a brilliant solution. It reminds me of the way NES devs changed palettes in the middle of sprites.

15. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    That Model is beautiful, considering the Saturn's graphical capabilities. Why didn't they use it for other games instead of that ugly-ass Sonic Jam and Sonic R one?

16. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

This http://www.rockin-b.de/windows-saturnorbit.html comes with all the official stuff (SSSDK, SGL Library, BGCON, etc...) plus a ton of great third party things.

And I have a huuuuuge archive full of tooooooons of documents. The pertain to the saturn sdk, but the version Sega shipped for Mac OS.

17. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

I liked the sonic r one :(

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    hey thats great,
    any tools in there for viewing textures from Saturn games? ( yeah stupid question)
    I took a look around in the orbit SDK tools to no avail.

Would like to get ahold of the cloud textures from the leaked 718 Saturn game disk,
    I've ripped just about every other texture I could find on the leaked 718 demo threw Saturn release 2 beta 3's VDP1 and VDP2 viewer.
    found the floor texture in RBG0.
    I know there is a totally different texture for the clouds lurking in there, but with my lack of programing skills...I just cant get to it.

also If memory serves correct, I think SANiC ripped and released the actual metal sonic Boss arena model from that 718 leak awhile back,
    anyone have these files?

the clouds, screen taken in emulator,
    perhaps there is no second cloud texture, maybe the engine is cropping a section of the floor texture for the sky?
    Actually I don't think cropping is the case, if it were we wouldn't have the huge variation in the sky , and a corner of the floor would probably be floating up there as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Granville

Granville

US
    I myself thought that they might have done the clouds by cropping it off the floor. At any rate, the clouds in the Metal Sonic stage are at least in existence. They are clearly in the 718 demo, so that's a good thing. They're definitely in the data, so no need to reproduce them. :P

20. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

The only graphical tools I know of in the Orbit SDK are from the old SSSDK stuff. It includes all the official stuff I know of except maybe the HSI tools, which I dunno the significance of and if they would really be useful. I will look into it whenever I can.

Edit: I *do* have a lot of graphic tools that aren't out there, but they are classic Mac OS tools, so unless you have a classic Mac, they really won't be useful to you. Btw, what are you using to build your models. If it is Blender, just export dxf and use dxf2sg3 and then you can apply Saturn compatible textures in 3DEditor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.