don't click here

Sonic Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Jan 27, 2012.

1. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I hope the boss music is decent in length because the tension there gets ruined the most when music fades out.

2. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    I'm not sure what you mean. We had never intended act-specific mixes of the CD audio, for starters

It's got its on and its off times like any other hobby kind of project, we each have a lot of stuff going on :P
    But there has been a fair amount of work done even discluding the previously-publicized content

Our fancy new boss music currently runs 2:25

3. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Thank you for posting several times today, as in the past it seemed like you were angry any time this project came up.
    It's nice to see something at least once a year, like today.

4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    That's seems decent enough thankyou.

Also I've not heard anyone ask the team this but considering that the levels are completely original, are we going to get original decent bosses to battle? I've always enjoyed bosses like the final one from Crystal Egg Zone and the final boss in Launch Base Zone from Sonic 3 (not S3&K) because you have to study their patterns and attack them in the small window of opportunity you have. Kinda like a puzzle element added to them instead of quickly jumping on Robotnik eight times before he has chance to attack. I'm not asking for bosses that are mega tough but one's that are challenging enough to make you want to replay them again. They would certainly be excellent to face on a boss run if you have the intention to add a boss mode as well.

5. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    That is the main thing I'm interested in seeing. Basically a Sonic disassembly that is already programmed to boot on Sega CD. It would allow for more content rich hacks instead of people having to work with such a small data limit.

6. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    You forgot the part where the SEGA CD is even more limited to work with than the Genesis. All it really allows for is CD music, weird deformation effects and crappy FMVs

7. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Well, it limits you for a SINGLE LEVEL since you've only got 256 KB or so of space to work with, BUT you can have any number of levels. If you have very little code running on the CD CPU, then you have maybe another 700 KB of space to work with. It's not THAT limiting for a game like Sonic, and does give near infinite levels. If one level is too big, split it into two or three or 10000 acts. You have the room for that on the CD. ;) :D

8. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    I think the issue is less whether many people are concerned with having a thousand levels and more what they believe they can fit into a single one. It's my experience that there are plenty of people just from sheer lack of knowledge that assume you have instant access to a full 640MB of data (as if read from cartridge ROM) when using the SegaCD

It's also my experience that it can sometimes be a task to work a decently-featured single level with the available space, having actually performed this feat with a Sonic the Hedgehog game personally :P

9. Vangar

Vangar

Cool to see this hack (Can you even call it a hack anymore?) will continue. I've got a Sega CD and recently played the last release of Megamix and it's great fun. What were the development choices to put homing attack in though? I always thought classic fans didn't want that in their 2D sonic games.

10. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

Well, in this game, it does helps to get speed most of times, not like that is a problem. People who don't like homing can turn off that in preferences, anyway.

11. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    New title screen's rather nice. Unusual to see a Classic Sonic screen without any actual characters on it, but I guess this game does have a pretty massive cast and it's much better than just straight up using Sonic 1's.

12. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Or they can simply choose not to use it. LOL Personally I like the homing attack.

13. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Forgive my ignorance, but isn't there a way to 'fake' the transition of one level to another? Ie. make a map as usual that's one level long, but don't have an 'end' to it; perhaps have come sort of cut scene while the next level loads up, that way it'll make it appear to be one big level. I guess you could even do that as many times as you want!

14. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Getting the timing right with the load sequence, as well as making sure everything was sync'd correctly, would be the hardest part of this. While theoretically possible (as far as I know), it's a lot more work than it looks.

15. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I think homing attack works for Sonic if balanced properly and enough mechanics are implemented to exploit the move, he always felt too much like a dud character without it (Mighty has his original moves but also has a 'shield manager' to exploit them better). Though maybe I shouldn't start this arguement again.

Concerning level size limit, that was something that bugged me a bit about CD (though it did make a little sense considering the item searching involved as well). Megamix on the other hand has fairly large levels anyway.

16. Wait, using the Sega CD means you end up with shorter levels? Honestly, I never noticed. I always liked the idea of taking Sonic CD, removing the time travel gimmick, and turning each time zone for each level into it's own Act. A 60 level Sonic game would be pretty awesome as long as the levels stayed consistantly well-designed. Throw in S&K style cutscenes between levels and it would be just about perfect.

Then again, I'm getting off topic, here...

Anyways, I was kind of curious, how difficult was it to come up with the custom boss battles like in Dark Fortress Zone (Marble Zone replacement)? I've played a lot of SMW hacks, and noticed that nearly all custom bosses in them have either far too limited animation where you feel like you're fighting a photograph, or a dull and uninspired boss that's only there to be different. Honestly, the DFZ boss in MegaMix was far too difficult for where it was in the game, but it was my absolute favorite part, other than the beautiful graphics for Sunny Shore Zone (Green Hill Zone replacement -- I can never remember all the different level names, and internet trouble's keeping me from looking it up. I want to finish this post before the WiFi starts acting up again). By the way, who's the one who's been doing the custom artwork? It looks amazing.

By the way, I remember a couple bugs from the last release. One was the booster/loop combo after the Sunny Shore boss en route to the capsule. If you held right while on the loop, you'd get launched through the wall and die. In Dark Fortress Zone, there was a spot where you could build up too much speed and die too easily from the game not being able to keep up vertically. Did those get fixed?

17. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    It COULD be shorter. You can always make a level longer in less memory by using more repetition. The main limit for a level is the number of unique tiles needed for both the level and the characters in the level. Assuming you don't cut back on characters or character animation, you have to cut back on background tiles. Instead of three different palms, maybe just one - instead of six different flowers, maybe just two or three. Instead of 500 different ground tiles, maybe 250. That sort of thing. Remember that you can store the tiles in the CD memory compressed, just like the tiles are compressed in the cart roms for the cart versions.

So when we say running from CD "limits" each individual level, it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. Good level design can cover a multitude of "sins". ;)

18. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    To answer a question that was asked earlier in the thread, every single boss from the original game is being replaced, and most already have been. To respond to you, specifically, there's a big difference between what people do for Mario World (by my understanding) and what we're doing for Sonic. Jman (who is majorly responsible for the functionality of our new bosses) may be able to fill you in on specifics about modifying SNES games, since I don't really have any experience with it, but to begin with, I think there are some important differences. Also, if I'm correct, Mario World assembly mods are done as patches, in addition to having to obey certain other limiting rules. Some of it is probably pretty impressive technically, even if not visually. We, on the other hand, are modifying the game at a source level, and are free to do more with it. That certainly doesn't mean that what we do is never complex in function, though :P

Some of the previous stuff, like the "remixed" art, was done by StephenUK. The original stuff that's been cropping up more recently is being done by MarkeyJester

The previous version was released incomplete, without a lot of testing. A lot of bugs/errors have been fixed by intent and happenstance, and a lot more have turned up. Every one of them we can find and handle will be squashed before the final release

To respond to this, we're definitely attempting to use trickery to both circumvent and mask the "limitations". Hopefully the levels, for example, will appear fair or better in length and variation :P

19. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    So, let's generate some more positive energy here

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBLIUUodW8c[/youtube]​

20. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

Let's see. Full, rich looking level art, gimmicks that don't do all the work for you, one or two new, but nicely designed badniks that provide a change in obstacles, level flows nicely, appropriate length - yeah, this is checking out nicely. My only problem with the level is the colors used in the palette. If there's no way to get around that, okey dokey, but yeah.