don't click here

Sonic Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Jan 27, 2012.

1. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I have a question, I hope it is not too personal.

What will happen with the work of former team megamix members like Tweaker, StephenUK or Chimpo? Is it staying at the project, or is it being replaced with other's members work? I loved tails sprites, and they scream "chimpo" to me, so I'm worried they are being removed

2. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator

Some of it is staying, and some of it is being updated.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    The only reason anything will be removed is if we actually think it can be improved upon. Some work is going, but only for that specific reason; any content that we like and which was produced by former members was still made for Megamix and is staying

4. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    So I checked out the recent video, the everything, MY GOD THE EVERYTHING. I mean personally to me the game (not hack, I don't even think I can call that anymore) is turning out like it's own kind of original project almost, at least that's how I see it. New enemies, music, stages, and even bosses make it out into a whole new kind of game. Sorry I geeked out for a bit but that how I feel.

5. I personally think you guys should keep the current balloon-holding sprite mostly the same, maybe with a few more frames of animation.

He just looks so HAPPY and CUTE, how could you ever replace that with something else?

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, Sonic Team removed that altogether. =P

7. Tanks

Tanks

Quick question... You guys still have that Splash Woman concept music lying around in your files? Actually, do you still have any of the old conceptual songs left over? It would be cool if we could get a release of those, only because they're probably not going to be used and, to be frank, they sounded pretty sick.

8. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Hell they should just release a free downloadable soundtrack with the game!

9. Vangar

Vangar

Brilliant. Also I like that sprite with the balloons, Classic sonic is a happier mischievous character after all.

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I like the more varied expression but it does look a little off in terms of posing. Maybe he should dangle a bit more.

11. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    I really love the new City Outskirts. I can barely recognize it as Spring Yard Zone! There's just a few things that need to be changed so it can be completely unrecognizable.

12. Tanks

Tanks

I'm talking WIP stuff, which really isn't too connected since it was never released or even known by the public to exist. To be perfectly honest, I probably shouldn't have known about it... But just the same, it would be cool to get a release on it. Understandable that, given the current circumstances, a lot of that might just not be appropriate to release, but hey, its team megamix's call, not mine. :P

13. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    I'm just going to pop in to politely request that Megamix NOT use the Sonic CD jump sound. I mean, come on, it doesn't sound like Sonic is a blue super rodent jumping anymore.
    Rather it sounds like he is a big pink amoeba jettisoning gay wizard dust to propel him a few molecules closer to Ecco's bottom.

14. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Both of the sounds are official jump sounds of Sonic's classic era. The CD version is less ear rape because it is not a solid square tone. Not that this ruins how much I enjoy the original games, but Megamix demands a lot more jumping and has a richer soundscape, and the original jump sound floods a lot of that much more easily. Quite frankly while the first jump sound is more immediately recognizable, it is also extremely tacky and generic as a jump sound. I'm in favor of the CD version, its easier to listen to and just a bit more organic.

15. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    While my personal opinion on 'hacking' hacks (and that of Team Megamix, as far as I know) are 100% against the idea, it is NOT a discussion for this thread. Make a new topic about it if you want a serious discussion about it, but leave it out of this one, please.

I merely trashed the posts for this reason, and is also why I didn't feed anyone to the sharks. :v:

Some good points were brought up, and I'd personally like to see (and contribute) to such a discussion. Do note, however, that such a thread would be as heavily monitored and moderated as a general S4 Ep Whatever shark week thread, considering its volatile nature.

<hr>

Actually, the Splash Woman concept thing was something I did just using the FM/PCM engine used in Megamix, not for use in Megamix specifically. Call it a test of its capabilities, as it were.

Sonic's jump sound was on PSG for the Mega Drive so it didn't interfere with the music as much. In Sonic CD they didn't have this problem, so smoothed it over as a sine wave equivalent on the FM instead. We like it more on FM, as it isn't as grating, so it's sticking as that. The comparison to Ecco was unneeded, too. :v:

16. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Looking good so far guys. I don't mind what sprite is used for the balloon hanging as long as its animated. This new level art looks really well done, keep it up.

17. While it pains me to see one member of Team Megamix go, I am still excited and looking forward to future progress. You guys are truly an amazing part of this community.

I think the balloons and the holding sprite need a little work, but that isn't anything that hasn't already been said.

God speed.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I'm loving this, though I would like to suggest that Sonic's hanging sprite move the hand so it's a direct line...like <fishes out an old sprite>:
    [​IMG]
    This but better.

19. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

BlackHole makes a good point, granted I love the "Fist up with happy face" sprite but one makes a lot more sence concidering Sonic is holding something.

20. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    If you look carefully he is actually holding a sliver ring with the balloons attached to it. So they'd have to make him hold onto the balloons directly if they used an upward hand.