don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hate to be the one to say it but I presume you'll be able to switch between the remix and the original track for that stage and that's it.

2. In the 28 minute german preview it looked like you could change to music from other similar levels from other games though, as was the case when they selected Emerald Hill Zone for Green Hill. My guess is each stage will get a few tracks you can switch to, probably not remixes though. Though if Gene is to be believed, we'll probably get one more remix per level. I.E. Modern remix, Classic Remix, Extra Remix, and a few similar level themes non-remixed.

3. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    If I have to split about another page and a half of begging, impatience, and other general idiocy, there's gonna be warns and worse handed across the board.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Besides losing to a wrestling game, I'd say that looks just about right. It's basically right up there with the other big name games like Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, and Batman, although just a little bit below. Still a B+ is a damn fine grade.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

So, reception towards the game has been really great so far. It looks fantastic to fans, while the wider gaming community and the general public seem very keen too. And on top of that it's been marketed really well, from events like Sonic Boom, the Six Flags parks, advertising with The Simpsons and the Collectors Edition. What does all this lead to? Highest pre-order numbers for any Sonic game, ever.
    Tthanks to Neon at SSMB for the heads up on this.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Now that's just fucking awesome. Good work Sonic Team. Good work. Haven't been this proud of you since Sonic Colors and before that since you decided to keep the modern Sonic model from here on out. First one that worked IMO.

7. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Because mass sales instantly means quality. Carnival Games is the best game ever made.

Brb, I need to play Madden 2004.

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    This pleases me. Sega has all the momentum behind Sonic once again. You can kinda feel it - this is going to be a special game in the series. I hope it turns into a turning point, like MK did.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yes, because that's what we said. The game has been getting very positive reception AND has been marketed really well. That's what's pertaining to good pre-sale figures.

10. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Well, it doesn't really so much matter. SEGA is one of the two-and-a-half companies that always makes both HD versions compatible with Custom Soundtracks, so no matter what console you're on, anything in your mp3 collection is fair game for anything.

Since there are oodles of unlockable tracks, though, I'll be very much surprised if they don't include the ability to change the music to whatever you want out of the available tracks in the game.

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

You're replying to Kogen.

12. Dr. Ed

Dr. Ed

If anyone cares IGN just published an article paying respect to sonic as a wind up to the release of generations http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1210048p1.html

13. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    From one of the comments in that article:
    This comment has filled me with profound sadness

14. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    They want Shadow The Hedgehog then?

I might as well chip in. I played the demo last Wednesday and I was quiet impressed with it. The classic sections feel fairly classic and nice and the modern sections feel like a completely different experience but familiar, it was nice.

I am very excited for Generations and I'm fairly sure it will be a first day purchase from Game when it comes out.

15. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    That comment be trollin'.

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

It's actually a stupid comment. They're out of date? Tell that to Mario galaxy and NSMBWii which have sold like gangbusters.

17. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    WARNING: WALL OF TEXT BELOW!

Well I've been playing the shit out of the demo recently, (got it whenever it came out on the European PSN), and something surprised me. I actually prefer the Modern sections to the classic gameplay. I haven't played as modern before really, save for a short period in the PS2 Unleashed, which I gave up on as the combination of the Werehog and the constant saving/loading/saving (dat "beep beep beep") proved to be insufferable, but I found the modern GHZ to be an exciting, fresh experience.

I think my main issue is that the classic stage, while fun, seems slightly off some how. I keep trying to play the game like 1-3K and failing miserably. As has been mentioned before the rolling needs work, but my main gripe is that bouncing between badniks is nigh-on impossible. It's a minor grievance, and it's probably a case of me just having to adjust to "this game is different, deal with it. You want classic, plug in the Mega Drive", as I had similar issues with MGS4 feeling completely different to the first three, but got into the feel after a while and then fully enjoyed it.

Also overborked Spin Dash, scripts scripts scripts scripts scripts, mild input lag, no pit death animation, no badnik animals, and the fact that Omochao is both annoying and a liar, why can't I lose all my rings goddamnit! (Spoilered as I don't really care... well the ring thing is silly...)

The main issue I have with the modern stage, is what's the point of all the dash panels? I jumped over them for every loop and still managed it fine, even without the boost. Since Sonic is supposed to be "the fastest thing alive" why does he need to be needlessly propelled all the time. It doesn't add to the experience, it breaks the illusion. Rather than saying "You are the fastest thing alive", it says "You're only the fastest thing alive because we're making you go this fast." I hope they realise this for future titles, along with the fact that anyone with half a braincell doesn't need the homing attack reticule. It's just annoying. It might have been necessary in a realistic grimdark environment, yet when you're wondering around a green stage where you home-in on giant pastel-coloured robots and massive red springs, it's fairly obvious what to do. Hopefully I've missed something, and someone will tell me that, like Omochao, you can turn it off.

Also it might just be because it's the first stage, but the badniks offer no threat at all. The Crabmeat in Classic can only shoot a certain distance, so they can't hit you if you stand right next to them. And in the Modern level this is even worse. Most of the enemies just stand there as boost-fodder, as I found out when going through the level without boosting, and discovered that you can merely walk directly past them, and they won't even notice you. Motorbug is particularly laughable, as it only moves in a linear path, why not make it like the Rhinotank in Sonic Adventure?

Having said all that, I played both stages in as little and as much time as possible (seriously, I spent nearly two hours just playing each level once), finding out little nuances in the design of both physics and aesthetics, and found the engine in both levels to be pretty stable, and a lot of fun. I don't really have issues with Classic per-sae, it just seems to me, to feel a bit strange. It's definitely a step in the right direction though, I got Sonic 4 the other day in a "Aww this can't possibly be THAT bad" sort of way. My God, my eyes, ears, brain and soul felt like they'd been melted with a red-hot turd.

I'm honestly excited about this game, it would be great to own more than just 4 PS3 games. I might actually make this the first new game I have ever bought and stretch my overdraft even further to buy it first hand. I haven't spoiled anything since the video of Aaron playing through a few levels, and I really hope this game blows me away as much as I want it to. I know I've picked a lot of holes in the demo, but what's SEGA to expect if they only hand me two levels!

TL:DR = The game is good, could be very good, but there are still a few issues that could have been ironed out, I can see why it just falls short of the scores that Batman and Zelda have got.

18. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Just a quick comment on your stuff about losing rings - the theory is that it's a skill you can equip, and what omachao describes is the default.

19. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    They added dash pads so you cannot go back and explore the levels. That might result in having a fun time outside of boost spamming.

20. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    I hope that's the case. It makes the game crazy easy as it is in the demo currently. Plus as the rings don't fly off as much as they used to, it's pretty much impossible to die from getting hit as you'll collect lost rings just by staying where you got hit.

The problem is that Sonic Team seem to think that because they want someone to play the game in a certain way, they'll do it like that. I remember spending hours playing games as a child trying to break things on purpose, or trying to get to an area that's outside the level boundaries or whatever, because that's what people do. You give people rules and they'll want to break them. It's nice that they seem to be allowing some back tracking as the builds go on in Classic, at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.