don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Quick question because a friend asked: what are the legitimate gripes people are having with Generations? I'm under the impression there aren't many.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Most of the reviews I've read are complaining about the lack of classic levels and too many modern levels.

3. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    No updates on that Steam demo? I'm itching to play this game, but the demos going to determine if my PC can handle it or not. :colbert:

4. Scripten

Scripten

Good. Hopefully this will steer SEGA to, if anything, start a spinoff series to cater to the classic design philosophy. Though, from what I've seen, even the modern levels in the game have pretty good design to them.

5. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    That has nothing to do with it, the reviewers literally complained that there were too many levels from post S3&K, despite that all of those levels have classic interpretations available to them that are, arguably, completely new levels instead of reimaginations of classic levels as far as Classic Sonic is concerned, those reviewers wanted Sonic 1, 2 and 3&K HDified.

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Well, since you asked.

Some of the missions are...just not fun, at all (Rooftop Run's balloon and Vector missions immediately come to mind), and the longer you play the game the more it feels like they spent more time and energy polishing Modern's gameplay than replicating the classics' for Classic Sonic. There are so many jumps you're going to miss because you'll swear you'll have enough hang time, and even when you come back for another try it may take longer than you think to get it down. Eventually you're going get used to jumping at the very edge of platforms a la NES Mega Man in order to reach anything. One of the first shortcuts in Sky Sanctuary falls victim to this, as does much of Crisis City and Planet Wisp.

Speaking of Planet Wisp, the Wisp powers feel rather inferior to their appearance in Colors. The Spike Wisp feels sluggish and just not right with Classic's mechanics (I also found myself losing rings while plowing through enemies so go figure), and while the Rocket tries to incorporate more player input, you'll lose your power before take-off if you hold down Y/Triangle for longer than it wants you to. I'd just press it once, because it doesn't appear to make a lick of difference. The Wisp complaints may just be me though, considering I've put at least 70 hours into Sonic Colors. There's also a few places where you'll use the Homing Attack and trip on a raised platform just in front of your target, and take damage. Most likely you'll notice it here.

The underwater physics are super floaty for Classic Sonic and the fact you can't do a short hop becomes both obvious and a pain in the neck as he takes forever to sink and you'll be in spots where you have to jump up to a platform that's about Sonic's standing height off the floor. There's a skill that reduces this floatyness underwater, so the game has a bit of that "play longer to make it control better" inspiration from Secret Rings.

Other than these though, I've had a pretty fantastic time with the game as a whole. I'd go into how much I'm enjoying myself, but most of you have already spoken of the game's bright and shining glory.

Also, on a sort of related note:
    During my first playthrough of Modern Planet Wisp, right near the end, I activated the Rocket as I was touching up against the horizontal beam that moves up and down. Sonic didn't transform, but still broke through the Rocket-able barrier and shot up into the air stuck about halfway through his transform animation. I wasn't shot up high enough to break the next barrier, and when I finally landed I was in an area I couldn't get out of. I've also accidentally gotten stuck in spots during Missions too. Seems pretty easy to get stuck in places in this game.

7. This. It's so close, I can practically feel my computer overheating.

8. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Just saw this on Tumblr and thought I'd share.

[​IMG]

Didn't know the game had a 3 player mode though. :P

Ended up changing my order with Amazon from super saver to first class so the estimate dropped from 6th-9th to the 5th. Cannot bloody wait.

9. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    The instruction book for this game is very disappointing.

That is my only complaint so far. Everything else seems perfect.

10. Blivsey

Blivsey

"Hi. I'm Omochao. And you're a colossal faggot."

Needs to be voiceacted NOW. Oddly enough, the two Sonics end up unfazed, while the human loses a bit of excitement. Maybe he's a Retro guy.

11. MastaSys

MastaSys

I hope it have all controls for modern, I really don't want to turn on Omochao (not because Omochao itself, I just don't want tutorials.)

12. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    My Super Saver was 7th-9th and First Class made it say Delivery estimate is now 4th...hope it dispatches soon.

13. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    It does, but the manual itself is literally two pieces of paper stapled together. I was wondering why the box was so light compared to Unleashed's, then I looked at the manual.

14. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    My complaints with the game are pretty much how modern super sonic's boost literally auto plays levels for you (which I believe is stupid) at the cost of 2x ring consumption (again, believe this is stupid), classic super sonic is nothing more than regular classic with invincibility.

Half of the reason I love Sonic is because of Super Sonic himself. I love blowing through levels with invincibility, super speed, and super jumping, at the trade off of making precision platforming much harder and killing yourself much, MUCH easier. (I'm looking at you Super Sonic Colors)

And on top of that, adding the new challenge of trying to keep your ring count up.

Another complaint is how Classic Sonic does not gain speed/loses speed when short jumping. (cost me too many missed platforms, many rings, many s ranks, and even some lives.)
    I believe he doesnt gain speed when he jumps normally too, but im not sure on that.

Sonic in 1-3 gains speed when jumping, so classic not being able to do that really bothered me.

15. Blivsey

Blivsey

"It's incredibly overpowered, that's stupid. There's an incredible limit on the incredibly overpowered mode, that's stupid." Am I following you correctly?

16. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member

Same here. Not sure are those estimated times truth or not? As it was said mine should be coming on the 3rd at Estonia and nothing yet. I just hope I DID reserve a copy and not a "empty place" for 104 eur.

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I ordered it from a Dutch site called all4games.nl. I don't have a credit card so I couldn't order it from Amazon.

18. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    Pretty much. I dislike both aspects of that. I like high speed. You get high speed with boost. Boost is overpowered to the point where I am no longer enjoying it. The cost of boost is so high that it doesnt make sense either.

Super Sonic from Colors is pretty much the best rendition of modern super sonic to date.

It gave you the insane jump, unlimited boost, with a normal ring countdown. That was perfect. There was no need to make one aspect of the character even more overpowered and then hike up the cost of said aspect.

Too many extremes. It's almost like taking a well balanced character in a fighting game, and then suddenly breaking him offensively with high damaging normals, super fast and super low recovery specials, and frame 0 start up and fully invincible supers, but giving him 1HP and remove his ability to block, making him an insane glass canon.

Why do something like that when he was perfectly fine in the first place? If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I can't enjoy super sonic as a whole because of such. If I want to play modern super sonic, I have to withhold using boost, but then that damages the modern sonic side of the game because his side is designed with boost in mind. So then because of that, I can't play Super Sonic, which was something I was really looking forward to as he's been one of the biggest motivators for 100% completing sonic games with a playable non-final level exclusive super sonic. It's been like that since Sonic 2 for me.

Modern Sonic in boost mode is more of a "true" Super Sonic than the actual Modern Super Sonic is himself.

19. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    I just played the PS3 demo with my USB Saturn gamepad (one of the cheap Hong-Kong imports), and the controls are laggy as fuck. Does anyone know if this has been tightened up for the retail release?

For some reason, I'm replaying Sonic 4 :argh: to see if the problem is indeed with Generations.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I really hope they deem Super Sonic as a patch worthy fix. As of right now it's really lame.

Also I have had more collision issues in this game then any other Sonic game and I have no idea why, especially in Seaside Hill Classic. I've fallen through the floor, had some loop bugs where I fall and the camera locks as I go down the water tunnel so I pretty much just run into my death, and I had a float on top of a loop problem as Modern Sonic in City Escape.