don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Youtube comments are srs bsns

2. I'm starting to regret subscribing to this thread. My inbox has been flooded with this lately; something that could've been dealt with via primate (wow what a dumb typo) private messages (though, I'm one to talk). Would be really nice if this thread could be used for its intended purpose of discussion of techniques and progress, rather than a soap opera bubbling away in my emails.

And can we get a little perspective here? You're making mods for Sonic and promoting them on YouTube: the most vocal users of these things are kids who kneejerk at a missing polygon and call the whole project terrible as a result, whilst simultaneously sucking up horrible SFM animations and having debates over their accuracy...it's YouTube, don't get so flustered by it, and do your own thing.

I haven't posted anything in months years partly due to this; I'm making fantastic progress in the spare time I have to do so, but not enough (to me) to validate updates. I know what the feedback would be, which would just reinforce what I already know needs done or fixed, and likely make me feel a little demotivated rather than encouraged. YouTube comments are great when there's a finished product to be proud of, but if you're posting a WIP, an unpolished build, or even a similar project to someone else's, of course it's gonna receive criticism. Especially if there's a product to compare to. Just how these things go. It's not okay to pin the blame or the responsibility on that other creator, though. It's up to you to stick to your guns, then accept and carry on with your own vision. Make it for yourself and those who dig it will stick about. Those who don't, shouldn't matter to you, so don't give them the satisfaction of a rise.

My inbox thanks ya.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'd like to remind all the Trial Members posting here who are doing little more than attacking S0LV0 that this will look GREAT when your 20 posts are up. Just saiyan.

4. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    Well, there's nothing left to say about this, and I agree with everyone else.
    But there's something I'm wondering about.
    What's so wrong with this comment? He just stated his own opinion about Adventure Packs, it's not end of the world. Sure, he didn't realize how that's just his opinion and there are people who think differently, but don't act like he insulted Adventure Packs and called them terrible.

5. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    No. Please don't keep this going. Please.

6. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I think S0LV0's been put through quite enough of this. It's pointless to continue this. Just leave well enough alone now.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Which part of "stop" wasn't clear the first time? Don't make me have to start giving out holidays.

8. Retroman

Retroman

STOP MAKING DRAMA OUT OF NOTHING PEOPLE! GEEZ

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hey so you know what's a fun hack? That white world shading hack Dario made a while back. It was a really nice effect given the theme of the game.

10. I remember that. This is honestly how I thought the game was going to work when the first trailer was shown, but sadly no. Hope someone could take that up and apply it to the rest of the levels :v:

And for those who are wondering what the devil we're referring to...

11. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    It should work with all levels, AFAIK.

12. Crimson

Crimson

Sonic Generations 3ds Project
    It does work with all levels, although it looks rather odd on some stages... Like, for example, City Escape; when the truck is chasing you, you can see the color fade back to white behind you.

13. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    That's because it's just based on distance; it doesn't permanently color the level.

14. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    Sorry, I should've stopped there.

I almost forgot this actually existed. I think it had some potential, but I've never liked the distance of the effect. So, I decided take a look at it, but I turns out you can't edit the parameters of already compiled shaders (at least this is what I understand after I did some research).

A sequel to that mod would be great, but I'm pretty sure Dario doesn't have time for that.

15. Venom Snake

Venom Snake

USA
    So is Retro aware of the Sonic 06 Generations mod?
    I just got a PC that's decent enough to play these games, so I've been exploring some Sonic Generations mods.
    I played through the preview demo and while it has some flaws the way the levels were translated and how the physics were re-worked really impressed me.
    The Tropical Jungle level looks really cool, but it hasn't been released yet:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7GSAgyo75o
    Being that I'm new to the Sonic modding scene, are there any really cool level packs like the Unleashed Project and STH2006 Project?
    I tried to skim through this topic but I wasn't finding much beyond character swaps (I'm perfectly happy with that Unleashed Sonic model from Dario!).

16. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    You can disassemble and reassemble the shaders easily. LibXenoverse has a Disassembler/Assembler that could be easily re-used if the extensions are changed to wvu and wpu that should work perfectly fine for Generations AFAIK. Do keep in mind you'd be dealing with GPU assembly rather than something more readable.

I can't think of how I could possibly add to that mod without modifying how the game works though. Shaders don't really have a way to store information like how far along the path of the stage the player is (at least none that I can think of), and no shader parameter in the game gives you that information.

17. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I'm impressed on a technical level by the STH2006 Project, but I don't feel it works in execution. My biggest problem is that I can't tell what it's trying to accomplish; it's not trying to 1:1 port 06's levels because he likes inserting his own level design as often as possible, and I don't think either part of it works, because if you so much as touch the boost button you may as well accept the fate of dying and starting over. There's an optional physics mod you can get from him, but I think the fact that it's optional is to its detriment here. Anyway...

I dunno about level packs, but you may consider checking out the Hang Castle, GameCube Galaxy, and Melponterations mods.

18. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Seconding all of those, and adding Titanic Timber, Sonic Adventure Generations, Sky Rail, Paraxade's Wave Ocean, Frog Forest, Spiral Reef, and perhaps some of the ported Colors levels.

19. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    That would be too hard for me to do, but thanks anyways.
    @Venom Snake: Other than the ones Solvo mentioned, there are some other good level mods, like Wii Windmill Isle, Mystic Cave, unfair Seaside Hill, unfair Crisis City, Planet Wisp, Sweet Mountain, Asteroid Coaster, Paraxade's Wave Ocean and Spiral Reef.
    EDIT: Aw, got ninja'd.

20. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Pff, I forgot Sonic Adventure Generations when I even made music for it. Whoops.