don't click here

Sonic Free Riders

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tiranno, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    The music was the best fucking part of Sonic R.

2. 3/4 of it was so awesomely irrelevant to the game or its story. I loved that they remembered it in All Stars Racing.

3. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Never really played Sonic R before, but looking at it, I'm...not too sure. I heard a bit of a soundtrack and kind of turned off. It wasn't bad, but, not my cup of coffee. Plus I heard ScrewAttack said it was the worst Sonic game ever made (yes, worse than 2006. Heck, 2006 wasn't even on their list, but was close).

I think I'll stick with All Stars Racing and Riders.

4. I would disagree with ScrewAttack then. Kind of an odd and uneducated choice for worst Sonic game ever, if you ask me.

5. Jay T.

Jay T.

Trust me, if you knew the list, you probably would be pissed, or someone else will be, or both. It isn't too bad though, but their decisions are kind of shocking. There should be a video it on their site and most likely youtube as well.

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Sonic R is one the best Sonic games ever. :colbert:

7. Jay T.

Jay T.

Well, even without ScrewAttack's declaring it the worst Sonic game ever, I still feel awfully skeptical about it. I mean, the controls kind of seem odd, but that's probably just me, and the music is just...weird and out of place, and there's that whole Tails Doll bullshit I kept hearing about...I dunno. I might skip out on it. 'Sides, I like racing with vehicles (yes, I know Amy and Eggman use vehicles, but you know what I mean).

8. Tails Doll is awesome. He needs to pop up as a nonanimate toy in a Sonic cutscene or something. That was one of the greatest things Sonic Team (or Traveller's Tales) ever came up with.

9. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Sonic R is love-it-or-hate-it, really. Personally, I love it. I mean, I hate the lyrics, but you can turn those off, leaving only the awesome techno backing music, so yay. The controls are a bit weird, but generally work for what you're doing (if this were a platformer, they'd suck, especially given the slow turning speeds when you're stopped, but fortunately it's a racer first and foremost, where this kind of control scheme is the norm).

The major issue is that you have to figure out how to collect all the doo-dads and STILL come up in 1st place. If you collect a Chaos Emerald but lose the race because of it, it doesn't count. The five tokens are a bit more forgiving, only requiring 3rd place, but REAL players collect everything in one run. ;P

Of course, as I mentioned earlier, despite having tons of alternate paths and such, there's usually only one "best" route through the stage, and once you learn it, the challenge level shoots through the floor.

Also, the Tails Doll curse is utter bullshit. I preferred it when his eyes went SCHLUUUUUUUUUUUURPY, and nothing more than that.

10. Sonic R? I like the gameplay, but the graphics and sound kinda kill it for me.

It does need a sequel, though.

11. I have the Sonic R soundtrack; without the racing game, the soundtrack is actually quite nice and T.J. Davis is a great singer. With the game and soundtrack combined, it's just awkward.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    There is an option to turn all lyrics off.

13. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Oh, so we turned a topic about Sonic Free Riders into a topic about Sonic R? Retro never ceases to amaze me!
    + - spoiler spoiler!: I love Sonic R!!   :shh:

Okay, so, today is November 18th (actually 19th, since it's over midnight here already). Kinect was finally officially released here in Brazil. As I said earlier in previous pages of this thread, I would risk myself and would buy it whenever it got released here.

Well, I went to buy it, but the sucker is out-of-stock everywhere!! There's not a single store with it in stock, not even Walmart (they only do for those who pre-ordered), and the ones which do, want only to sell it bundled with more three games, so it would be Kinect + Kinect Adventures + Kinect Joyride + Kinect Sports + Kinectimals. I don't want any of these games; I just want the freaking Kinect, dammit. Though Kinect Adventures comes for free in every Kinect bundle, so I'm not complaining =P, but the other games I simply don't want. Actually I intend to only get Sonic FR and Dance Central for now.

I'll try my luck online, though it's going to take ages for it to arive. :S

EDIT: Out-of-stock in most stores that ships overseas... any help, please?

14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I didn't see any stand alone Kinects when my family went out shopping Sunday.

15. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Well they come with Kinect Adventures, as I said in my post! :v:

The thing is, the closest I found were Xbox Slim + Kinect bundles, but, you know, I don't need yet another 360 (having already an untouched one and a jtagged one).

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Sonic R was a good racer let down by some glaring flaws:

1. The inbalanced racer stats. There actually is a division of good and bad racers. Super Sonic is naturally a game breaker that only a couple of characters even stand a chance against. Some are also just way to slow and clunky to work with.

2. It is over too quick. Only five tracks and a few item missions. Oddly Time Attack has a number of extra modes that could have lengthened the logivity of the game if implemented into Grand Prix or Versus (eg. reverse mode).

3. Minor porting critism; PS2 Gems doesn't have multitap support. Versus playing a large part in lasting appeal this takes off points.

A shame if these were fine tuned it would have been a really fun game. The on foot racing is unique and fun, the graphics (for it's day) are lush and the music is a guilty pleasure.

17. Since I don't feel much inclined to read 31 pages to get an explanation as to why a discussion intended for Sonic Free Riders is revolving around Sonic R, I'll just ask outright. Why?

As for the subject matter at hand, I never agreed with the Sonic Riders series in general, it just never had much of an appeal for me. Then again, I'm someone who takes plot into far too much consideration.

18. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Sonic R is awesome because Metal Knuckles.

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    While Metal Knuckles is cool Tails Doll is one of the best characters of all time...OF ALL TIME!

No, seriously, Tails Doll rapes.

20. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    You mean gets raped BY Metal Knuckles :colbert:

Metal Knuckles should have been in Free Riders. Plus why the FRAG did it take THREE Sonic Riders titles to get Metal Sonic?

If I had the tech skill, I'd hack all the new characters from Free Riders into Riders 1. They can replace the Sega characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.