don't click here

Sonic Construct Worlds

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by StreakThunderstorm, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Porting to Unity, huh? Heh, that'll be a doozy. More power to you if you want to do it, though, I'd like to see more open-source Sonic engines. More variety is good, and giving people more choice is one of my big aims when it comes to making engines.

The idea I was going to work with Streak on would be an engine framework built from the ground-up that's compatible with Classic and C2 (avoiding third-party plugins wherever possible, etc, and making sure things work well enough on both sides), but then he became inundated with work, so, DANG. I'd like to be able to collaborate with someone else on such a project, partly because of the added expertise, and because I think it could be fun and quite an interesting learning experience. Not sure who would help with such a project, though.

2. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I tried out your C2 Worlds yesterday...
    It's hard finding any courteous way of explaining this.
    Its atrocious. I don't even know if I can list all the things wrong with the engine, let alone start.
    The game lags heavily when running along solid ground. But that's not even close to the worst of it. There's all kinds of snags in the momentum. Sometimes Sonic will land and retain a very slow running speed. Sometimes he doesn't reset his vertical speed when landing and falls at max speed after leaving a platform. The same happens when moving upwards, where Sonic will continue ascending after he has moved out of the way of a solid.

Really though detailing specifics won't do any good. The physics are broken all over the place in ways I can't even describe or measure, and from the little nuances I see, the structure is poor (ie you used pixel detection for the springs instead of bounding box or a hitbox, causing Sonic's angle to be affected if he hits the slanted part). The whole thing needs to be remade from the ground up.

3. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Believe me, I KNOW all those problems, they've been driving me absolutely NUTS! The structure is exactly the same as Streak's Classic engine, as well! How the hell did it all go so horribly wrong?! Hence why I wanted to redo it from the ground up to begin with.