don't click here

Sonic Construct Worlds

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by StreakThunderstorm, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Well, obviously, yes, but that's only if you actually want to look at the source file (and there's a couple of other reasons why free users wouldn't be able to modify it, such as families), but once you've actually exported the game into a playable format, anyone can play it.
    There are still obviously issues with the engine, and once I somehow manage to nip them in the bud, it should be much better.

Anyway, I've made another update to the playable demo with some visual stuff to make it look nicer, using open source tilesets I found on opengameart.org, and some basic parallax to go with it.

2. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Well, sorry for the humongous bump, but I've got a problem.

With the normal Construct Classic version, the controls are broken. In other words, I can't do custom controls. The inputs are there (it's in Application Properties in the Properties box) yet they won't be used. It's annoying as the default jump button is the right shift button.

Sorry if it's an incredibly stupid question (which it probably is), but is there a fix?

Thanks

3. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Is the Construct Classic version being supported/updated at all?

4. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Nope. Streak has pretty much given up on 2D game development so far, focusing on 3D - none of the tools out there meet his standards. And the events for the controls don't use the controls in the application properties, you gotta change the controls in the events.

Anyways, with the C2 version, I think I'm gonna have to continue working on additions to the engine (springs, enemies, etc.), since I still can't fix the physics issues yet.

5. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Streak has given up on porting the Worlds engine to Construct. I would work on it, but I'm stuck at moving platforms, one reason being that I can't match all the things Streak ported from the original Worlds engine, and also because there's some wonky MMF2 proprietary math functions that I can't recognize and there's no documentation on.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Eh. That's too bad.

7. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Which functions are these?

8. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    I can't remember. I'll have to get some pics of it all once I get back home.

9. Techokami

Techokami

HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    While I wait for you to pot those functions, let me try to answer your question... I did a quick scan of the code in Sonic World Delta and noted these math functions in use:
    min(A, B) returns the lowest value of the two inputs.
    max(A, B) returns the highest value of the two inputs.
    floor(A) returns A rounded down to the nearest whole number. Example: floor(7.65) = 7
    (Though not used in Worlds, there is a counterpart to floor, called ceil(A), which returns A rounded up to the nearest whole number. Example: ceil(3.14) = 4)

Why these aren't mentioned at all in the help files, I have no idea.

10. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Both versions of Construct have those functions.

I should probably make a new topic for this now, because it's becoming its own beast (in a way), but I've decided to leave a few issues behind, such as "snagging" on some curves, the inability to roll after landing on some curves, and stuff.

Playable Thingy! (Controlled with arrow keys and shift. Z+Down allows you to fall through platforms.)

Construct 2 .capx, release 95, requires Standard license (also requires the Function Plugin)

Additions:
    - Z+Down allows you to fall through platforms.
    - Springs
    - Sonic can now be hurt (With S3 animations rather than Advance, yes, I'm a bit lazy with that, but I'd rather be coding than doing animations)
    - Spikes
    - Rings and ring loss
    - A few sound effects
    - A "Inner_SubStepLimit" fix where the Player would stop moving at speeds higher than that value (seems to cause a couple of minor issues of its own, though, oddly enough)
    - Monitors, some of them working fully (the icon doesn't float up and disappear yet, and monitors aren't solid, see issues list)
    - Shields with special abilities (Bubble shield ability doesn't work yet for reasons listed below)
    - Bumpers, both from Spring Yard and Carnival Night Zones, working more or less perfectly
    - Balloons from Carnival Night Zone
    - Shoved all the Sonic-specific stuff into its own event sheet, for the sake of organization

New issues:
    - I need to figure out how to make solid monitors and the Bubble Shield bounce work without making Sonic automatically go into 'idle' mode upon landing.
    - Sonic's sprite lags behind the player object a tad now in some circumstances, for some reason.

11. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    No those are standard math functions used everywhere. What I saw was some word that didn't make sense, but somehow worked when used. Its something I've never seen anywhere else.

12. Techokami

Techokami

HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    You sure it isn't a named alterable value then? Check what object is in the functions' arguments, and then check that objects' Alterable Values.

13. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Alright, since we're in the run-up to SAGE, I figured I might as well try and continue working on the C2 engine and polish it up as much as I can first. DW said he might help out, who knows, we might be able to nip some of the more annoying problems in the bud. So, yeah, new release. Links are in my last post. Release 99 is required.

Additions:
    - All monitors work properly now, work-around made so they can be solid
    - Bubble shield works now
    - Insta-shield implemented
    - Several sound effects added, as well as music
    - Water fully implemented (bubbles, drowning, etc.) It's not using the "water level" implementation like in Worlds, but it's a bit more flexible in some ways, as you're not limited to a body of water for your level design. I'll probably include the original water level implementation at a later date, though it's hardly necessary right now.
    - Speed shoes implemented
    - Invincibility implemented
    - Super Form implemented

To-Do List:
    - Moving platforms
    - Enemies
    - Tails
    - Knuckles
    - Other gimmicks
    - Probably changing Sonic's sprites to Sonic 3 sprites rather than Advance sprites, for consistency

And in other Construct 2 news, Release 100 is coming in August, which will feature:

- Full native iOS and Android export options (probably)
    - WebGL shaders and CSS filter effects
    - Windows destop export (using Awesomium, even faster than running games in Chrome), and possibly Mac and Lunix desktop application export as well.

Which will come with an increase in the license prices, mainly due to C2's increasing capabilities and, as of R100, release to a rather diverse range of platforms. All things considered, I think it's rather reasonable.

Oh, and the most recent releases now have actual image editor features. Sweet.

14. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    So it's going to more than MMF2 standard.

15. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Slightly less, actually. Though you're getting way more bang for your buck, considering to export MMF2 projects to anything other than a windows executable you gotta buy expensive add-on modules - Game Maker does the same thing. C2 standard license, as of R100, instead gives you HTML5 + WebGL, iOS, Android, and desktop executable (Windows at the very least, with Mac and Lunix coming at some point if not with r100) export options right off the bat, so you can provide games to a much wider audience for less money, and with more export options on the way, though at this point C2 has basically covered pretty much any base that isn't a console.

I think Scirra need the money, anyway - it's a two man team with only one doing the programming on C2 itself, and he's releasing updates on a mostly weekly basis, with each release having new feature(s) alongside a list of bug fixes (except for the occasional release devoted to fixing bugs), and the program is rapidly catching up to its predecessor and the competition in terms of feature lists, and you get a much better deal on export options as well. That's pretty damn commendable.

16. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    C2 has a exe export now?

17. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Not yet, but in Release 100? Yes, it will. Yes, it is technically a wrapper for a WebGL application, but it still counts, and it works well, much more than enough for a fan game's purposes, and it runs even better than WebGL in Chrome, according to Ashley. And cross-platform desktop games, too, meaning you can reach a wider audience just with the desktop exporter alone (though that was already achieved when C2 started out with just HTML5).

18. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Hmm. Well, I don't have 60 bucks, so I can't buy. Honestly, I don't I'd use it much.

19. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    It's been a couple of months, so... Hoo, boy. I haven't been working on this all that much, because of another disheartening setback (which I'll get to in a moment).

Web playable link, and now an EXE download.

Construct 2 .capx, C2 Release 106, requires Standard license (also requires the Function Plugin)

Not much has really been done, aside from moving platforms (surprisingly simple) and more a proper level framework.

Now, this project has been fraught with problems, but now that there's actually a level framework, it also came with a horrible realisation that even in WebGL, the framerate drops dramatically even with that bare bones of a level. Good grief, there should be no way that the engine should be THAT SLOW. It shouldn't even be a FACTOR in any kind of FPS drop.

I'm at my wit's end, here, honestly. I don't know what to do, it makes me want to scrap the entire thing and start over, but with Streak pretty much inundated with work, and Dami hasn't responded to my PM, I'm pretty much lost. Considering the sheer instability of the project, a total restart is probably for the best, but I wouldn't know where to START, nor how to do things better than the framework I'm already using.

Good grief.

20. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    I'll check this out tonight.
    I should mention that while Streak won't be doing any more work on it, he did leave off at moving platforms. I've taken over and added a few things, such as rings, hud, and monitors. Its still missing the important basic things like baddies, taking damage and ring loss, and various obstacles. When I can get that much implemented, I'll release another version and see if the community can pitch in. However I may not even bother because I'm hoping I can port the Worlds engine to Unity, and if I can, that'll be my focus.