don't click here

Sonic Adventure DX (Preview) Discussion

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by Sazpaimon, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I take it this means the functional boss is still even in the DC version...

2. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    I can't believe this actually exists in SADX Beta, perhaps it might be in the actual SA. Perhaps this same debug mode is also in SA, just no one ever found an AR/GS code to access it.

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Holy fuck.
    Seriously, this is a great discovery, thanks again. :worship:

4. Zycor

Zycor

Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle. Member
    Beats me.
    Wow, Golah... any better pics? The magazines did a terrible job of getting good quality pictures.

5. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    More:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also managed to get a clearer shot in Dolphin before it crashed:
    [​IMG]

6. Neoblast

Neoblast

nice quality, it looks like a miniature dragon version of the egg carrier

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Holy fucking shit, that's like possibly the biggest SA1 find EVER

Is the old Windy Valley on this disc as well?!

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The goddamn dragon in the fucking GameCube version, now that was unexpected.

I guess they only delete the unused items when compiling their final versions, just like they sometimes remove the debug modes alltogether.

9. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Best find ever.

Saz, do you think you can take a video of it please?

10. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    HOLY SHIT FUCK, I NEED TO RUN THIS ON MY GAMECUBE

Before I potentially kill it, however, is there anything fun in the list of stages you can select?

11. Dekips

Dekips

Good Lord...that's an awesome and certainly surprising find, the fact that it's functionally also intrigues me. Keep up the good work guys.

12. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    If they only deleted unused items for final builds, that would mean all ports are based on old code for previous builds which I'd find somewhat odd. If it's in this version, I'd bet it's in all versions out there as theyre all likely based on the same base material(the DC build).

13. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    amazing! I never would have thought the dragon was still in there. Can you beat him or anything?

Man... never would have thought...

14. Blackbird

Blackbird

Boston (Venezuelan Transplant)
    https://rabbitears.rip
    Considering how much stuff we've found here, especially the dragon, SEGA must have very efficient space use on these things. Hell, any DC version with debug mode could have untold amounts of cool stuff, taking up space.

I'm guessing their production method is "whatever the hell we don't use, we'll leave in there, because, y'know, 5-10 years later, no one'll notice."

15. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    On hardware, placing him freezes the game. I've yet to look into it more on emulators. Dolphin crashes when you stay in debug for more than like, 10 seconds

16. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    DISREGARD THAT, I GOT HIM IN.
    I have the game paused now, I'm gonna go buy an s-video cable for my cube and record this posthaste

17. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Alright, it looks like a lot of people are shocked and surprised about this dragon being in this debug build, so I will give my take on the situtation:

Given the fact that Sega was going to port a game they had already created onto a new console, they would need to use a non-finalized version of Sonic Adventure to model onto the Gamecube. Remember guys, SADX was not re-built from the ground up, as obviously shown by the VMU and Internet Options, and various other bits and pieces found in the final SADX build.

Let's take, for example, the Zelda: Ocarina of Time debug ROM that floats about the internet. It has full debugging features, and loads and loads of unused content. However, the ROM was obviously changed (the colors of the HUD were changed from the N64's A + B controller buttons to the GameCube's controller buttons) in some fashions to accommodate the console it was being ported to. In this particular build of SADX, we can see that the splash and title screens were prepared for the GameCube, but the interface and textures hadn't really been touched yet.

Another point I would like to bring up, is that this dragon, while completely badass, is only object placement. Implementation to shift Sky Chase Act 1's game play to accommodate the interactions seen with the dragon in the beta footage we've seen would be a truly marvelous feat, however, I don't see that coming easily anytime soon. For yet another comparison to Zelda, it's much like when the Arwing was found (Albeit that that was found also in the Final build of OoT) in that yes, we have the object, but we don't know how it was implemented in gameplay. We do, however, know how the dragon is supposed to function, but as far as I can tell without further experimentation, will only be a placeable object seen from afar as it animates as Sky Chase continues to move forward. A first step to figuring out why the game crashes is to find out what's going wrong? My speculation is that once the dragon is loaded, the level may try to initiate gameplay based on what we've seen in the beta videos. However, because the gameplay is already loaded as this other type of Sky Chase, the game crashes.
    Now this is pure speculation, and I will be attempting to analyze this Sky Chase loading sequence and see if I can come up with something.

DAMNIT SAZ... anyway, I'd still like to analyze how Sky Chase loads, and see if I can find anything.

18. Shade

Shade

HOLY FUCKBALLS.

FUCK

Dragon...SA DX...asidfsjgithtrshdty

This must mean it's buried in the dreamcast final as well. And if not, then maybe DX was supposed to implement more features than we though.

This is incredible.

19. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    It's interesting to bring up that while SADX was in development, a screenshot (fourth image down) of a level that never made it into Sonic Adventure was released:

Perhaps we might find something about this.

20. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters