don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Wow. There's segments of the trailer I didn't notice before because they showed some part for like, only a second. The game looks really fun, but hopefully they'll change their minds on the no Tails in single player thing.

2. Lambda

Lambda

Anyone else catch the Sonic and Tails combo where they dig through the show? Reminds me of the drill wisp, and I don't mind that at all! :)

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    It is so slight that it's really hard to make judgement so unless there is a new trailer which can see obvious momentum, we are just going to have to wait until the game is released.

Also I think this is good video on some physics issues to test against so I would like to see these being fixed before I take any serious notice of Episode 2 again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nDRsjiXiMo

4. My point is, judging over some 30 seconds of random gameplay footage? Really? This shows nothing about the game's design, little about physics. The only thing it confirms is that they were too lazy to fix the spindash sound. Why all the complaining about everything else that we know nothing about?

5. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    You do know it doesn't even confirm that, right? We already know the sounds are dubbed in on top of the music, just like in the Generations trailer where Classic Sonic grunted like Modern Sonic. That is to say, take trailer sounds with a pinch of salt.

6. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    The level design with the overuse of springs and boosters that force automation, the alarming number of bottomless pit signs that you can see. The trailer may be 30 seconds but if that's all they have to show it's not very encouraging, especially given their recent past record.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This is the same community that dissected wallpaper in a hotel.

[​IMG]

45 seconds of spliced together footage is a gold mine.

8. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Yes, and we could dissect 3 (THREE!!!) fucking seconds of footage and KNOW an entire game would end up being shite... we were right on all counts.

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Considering the feedback like physics being "thee" major issue, if I was a programmer/project leader and I was really serious about fixing stuff, I would have a trailer showing all the fixes so the people who are so anal over them would feel confident that the game is on the right track and show them that care and attention is really being put into it just for them. Now I'm not saying that they ain't by them not emphasizing them, but if they did fix them it was a dumb move not showing them.

10. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    This is what I don't understand. We have barely any idea what the physics, level design, and sound will be like yet somehow a lot of people are arguing a lot over these things. Then to make matters worse, now a lot of members are using that large as hell sig bitching about nothing changing when we know barely anything about the game regarding the aspects we wanted to have changed the most compared to Sonic 4: Episode 1 (excluding the visual overhaul). It's understandable why there are arguments over things like the art direction, character selection, the trailers, etc, because it's stuff we actually have decent information about. It just seems absolutely pointless to me to argue about the game's state over aspects we know barely anything about. For all we know, the physics engine could be really good or might just be slightly better than Sonic 4's engine. We do not know at all and possibly won't know for a while. Speculation is one thing, but I'm concerned this thread might end up as bad as the Episode 1 thread. Unlikely to happen thanks to Shark Week, but who knows.

Damn. Sonic looks a lot better in that wallpaper than he does in the actual game.

There's no way in hell that three seconds was enough to realize the game was going to be very underwhelming except for the graphics department.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The Sonic 4 trailers have always been especially retarded. Rather then trying to show off how they're "classic," they take the "OMG EXCITING ACTION" route. That's why we see a ton of homing attack chains, spring bouncing, and SPEEEEEDDDD. Because Dimps likes to think of Sonic like a rollercoaster, and wants to get people excited as such. And someone mentioned this earlier, but if they showed off how they "fixed" the game that would imply that the first game was bad, and they don't want to say that. Notice how Sega has never said "yes, Sonic 06 was absolute crap." They'll stand behind their product, maybe be a bit ashamed on the inside, but they'll never admit it.

Nope, the only way we're going to tell how the physics truly are is either by playing the game or another PartnerNET leak.

12. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Well, W.A.C., if they go and hide the (apparently) improved physics then what the hell are we supposed to think? There are still springs, boosters and linear level design archetypes propelling you forward instead of encouraging you to explore and take another path. They added regular enemies (remember, there are at least two parts in a level from that footage that that asshole Snowy shows up in, not to mention that with Sealion appearing roughly the same size, he may also take the same tactics for Sonic to defeat) that take multiple hits to demolish. And not only that, now that they're warning us of bottomless pits, they're everywhere. Not to mention that once you've seen one Bubbles chain, it's only safe to be incredibly cautious that they will keep this inane design choice.

They may have sprayed a new can of paint over it, but in their rush job to fix the damned thing (and that's what- just the art style and the physics?) they kept and added new problems. Thanks a lot Dimps/Sega/Takashi Iizuka!

13. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand

Is it really just DMIPS though? I know it's pretty much their signature to do Sonic games like a rollercoaster but Sega can't be a complete push over when designing Sonic 4. I believe that current Sonic Team believes that this type of automation gameplay is good which is why I feel this release will not be up to standard. I know some people like to play those type of games but this is Sonic the Hedgehog not Sonic Rush.

Regarding Snowy taking multiple hits to destroy. I personally don't have any issue with it mainly because I would like to see how well it works. I'm also liking the fact that we are finally facing giant Badniks for once which is something I always wanted in the classics anyway.

14. Erm, Achievements:
    The Adventure Begins 5
    Clear SYLVANIA CASTLE ZONE, Act 1.

Rolling Combo! 5
    Activate the Rolling Combo with Sonic and Tails.

Metal Sonic Falls 5
    Defeat Metal Sonic in SKY FORTRESS ZONE, Act 1.

A Golden Wave 10
    Defeat all bosses as Super Sonic. (2)

All Stages Cleared! 10
    Defeat the final foe and watch the ending.

Tag Partner 10
    Upload a Multiplayer score or time.

I Love Tails 10
    Play as Tails 50 times.

Ring Collector 15
    Beat Special Stage 1 after collecting every Ring.

Endurance Race 25
    Clear all stages without returning to the World Map.

All Chaos Emeralds Found! 30
    Collect all seven Chaos Emeralds.

Proof of Speed 35
    Clear SYLVANIA CASTLE ZONE, Act 1 in one minute or less.

All Red Star Rings Found! 40
    Defeat the final foe after collecting every Red Star Ring.

edit: Nevermind, already saw they've been mentioned, ...at some point

15. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    A Golden Wave 10
    Defeat all bosses as Super Sonic. (2)

I wonder if they will have Tails just be in normal form while Sonic is super. It wasn't that weird in Sonic 2, but it seems like it'll be awkward this time for some reason...

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    EDIT: Never mind I read your post wrong. Ummm it seems from the trailer that there is someway you can call Tails back, so I imagine if you need him he'll be right by your side again.

Oh and as far as the whole Dimps/Sonic Team debate I will firmly stand by my belief that overall Dimps is to blame. Sonic Team made Unleashed, Colors, and Generations 360. Dimps made Rush, Unwiished, Colors DS, Generations 3DS, and Sonic 4. While the physics in Generations 3DS for classic Sonic were better then those of the 360 version, traditionally Dimps falls behind time and time again. Generations 360 had some pretty well designed classic style levels IMO, with many branching pathways and things to do. Generations 3DS had... radical highway. Some of this may boil down to what gets a bigger budget, but still, most of Dimps efforts have come off as rather lazy.

Iizuka of whatever his name is may have been behind Sonic 4, but he was also behind Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, and those are two games I support in full. My opinions may be different from the norm though for the fact that I actually enjoy the modern gameplay

17. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I meant that it wasn't that strange in Sonic 2 for Tails to stay normal while playing as Super Sonic. + - Well, there was that Debug mode teleport monitor thing lol  

I think its kind of odd for me now, because their gameplay is more cooperative than it was in Sonic 2.

18. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    In that slo-mo video, what was going on with Sonic at 4:49-4:50? He looks like he's spinning around for seemingly no reason there.

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

It looks like Dimps took this idea from Sonic 3 Advance. Since it was one of its earlier Sonic projects, I wouldn't be surprised.

20. Burnt Ash

Burnt Ash

Sonic + faceground = Member
    Yeah, it does give off a Sonic Advance 3 vibe. Which is fine by me, team based gameplay is a good concept, and can be fun if implemented correctly.