don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Episode Metal seems to have an even weaker spindash then Episode 2, but regardless, since Sonic actually has some momentum now, it's probably just a matter of there being too much friction or something in rolling, but they won't change that now.

2. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    There's no friction in Sonic 4's game engine, though. Because the entire engine isn't based around gravity acting on Sonic as an object. The very core of the first game in the series, the basis around which they designed the entire physics model that represented what we know as "classic Sonic gameplay" was the one thing they completely ignored when they decided to make another entry in the very series that that type of game mechanic defined.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yes. Metal Sonic has two models, two sets of textures and only one set of animations which is shared by EM and E2. I've just replaced all his EM stuff with E1 and it's exactly the same, except he's completely black with E2 style lighting.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^That's a damn shame. What happens if you replace Ep 2 Sonic with Ep 2 Metal?

I'm not really the person to talk to about physics. All I know is they're different, and that it feels better then Ep 1. They're not as good as the classics, and they're almost as good as Generations 3DS (but that game had much better rolling).

Oh, more fun facts. If you look at the in game instruction manual and look closely, you can tell that the signposts still used the Ep 1 designs for Sonic and Eggman at some point, only they used the gradients used in Ep 2, which honestly I find kind of weird (Eggman's being purple to black I kind of get, but why is Metal Sonic's light blue to yellow? Looks like a sunset). So at one point there was some sort of inbetween signpost art.

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

I'd help someone with this—I have many ideas for improving Sonic 4's musical tracks.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...I'm going to give the demo a shot just like I did with Episode 1, but I suspect that the impression I'll get will make me want to avoid it once more.

On a different note... I can't believe the music in this episode is seeing some actual praise. After seeing Generations' levels do it right, featuring the old catchy tunes with a good and wide set of instruments while "keeping it classic" at the same time, most of these tracks seem even more bland now.

For example, you might argue that E2's version of Stardust Speedway "grows on you" after you've listened to it a few times in a row, but then again, it will still sound "inferior" the moment you compare it with the original, something that should say something about its quality.

As somebody posted earlier in this forum, just compare what could have been:

With the incredibly generic tune they actually used:

I admit that I fell for it and was about to praise their music selection for the Special Stage, until I realized the sad truth. =(

tl;dr: Instrumentation failed again, somebody fix it plz.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    o_0 good lord it's beautiful this way.

8. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    I got the chance yesterday to compare the physics side by side with Generations 3DS (e.g. pressing the same buttons at the same time on both systems) and aside from the rolling they are nearly exactly the same from what I can tell. Acceleration to top speed takes the exact same amount of time and the animations even change at the exact same time. I have no idea why they didn't just keep the rolling from Generations 3DS though.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Is rolling actually any better in Gens 3DS? Cause it sucks in that too. I've notice that in this game, rolling is a fair bit better if you keep ahold of left/right. Not that you should have to though.

10. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

Rolling is way better. If you start a spindash, rev a single time, and just let it go, you roll more than twice as far in Generations 3DS.

11. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    Oh hai :D
    What the fuck am I listening to. It's not even just the instruments, this music is fucking AWFUL.
    [​IMG]
    Guess it's time for this again.

Also, where are you people playing the Episode 2 stuff? Was something leaked?

12. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

Well it's mainly people saying it's infinitely improved over the travesty that was episode 1's soundtrack. The Special Stage and Sylvania Castle Act 1 are also by far the weakest songs on the soundtrack (aside from the title screen/boss holdovers from E1). The rest of the music is at least inoffensive if not pretty good, with some legitimate standout tracks (examples: Sky Fortress Act 2, the aforementioned Metal Sonic boss music).

13. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    A practically complete beta of the PC version leaked Saturday via Steam. Just so we're clear:

There will be no discussion of how to pirate the game.

Thank you and have a nice day.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That's the spindash though, not rolling. The spindash in Gens3DS is more powerful.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Few days back the Sonic 4 Ep 2 page was put up on Steam, although instead of putting it up for pre-order, beta 8 was put on sale for about 6 hours. It has been taken down since, but basically the entire game is on it save for red ring functionality and a good ending (as in collecting all the chaos emeralds doesn't do anything after the credits). Also a few glitches here and there but nothing major.

EDIT: Ninja'd

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah dude like guess who said SEGA dun goofed and released a full complete game in beta form on steam. it was legit since people actually bought it

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So apparently someone found a "To be continued" graphic in the game over at SSMB, but due to the posting embargo they've put in place no one is showing it. Can anyone confirm/show this here?

18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator

I saw it. I believe Woun posted it. I figured it might be on his website but it doesn't seem to be loading at the moment.

19. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    As far as I know, that might be a troll post. The video of the End Credits with all Chaos Emeralds has been posted already on YT. This is the final result:

20. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

While I like the rofl help me version of the Sonic 2 stage theme I was kinda a disappointed when I thought it was real, only for the fact of it being basically Sonic 2's version. Then I heard the real one and changed my mind. If I have a PS3/360 I would hands down put this in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FG6HkoHGFI -----it at least gives the stage the proper "energy" that it deserves. It's time for a sig update!