don't click here

Sonic 3 Complete

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tiddles, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Pepperidge

Pepperidge

He has an extra shield to block Tails! Looks kind of tacky, really.

2. MastaSys

MastaSys

You say redesign like it was something that different. :)
    Those shields for example are just to tell the player "you can't hit him the normal way" and having an extra one doesn't affect the boss gameplay in any sort of way.
    We already had this discussion, and I think Tiddles did make Tails disappear in some instances, but only if no one touched the 2P controller, others instances not at all, I just don't remember which ones.

3. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    this can be disregarded

4. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Answering a several-months old post, but...
    Yes.

5. dsrb

dsrb

F'sho, and Pink Knuckles ftw. + - because we all know it is a girl  

6. AstroPenguin

AstroPenguin

Hey, any progress on the FBZ reorder?

I had a couple ideas if you were still thinking of doing the level swap, aside from the plans you already posted.

1. Obviously move FBZ to go right after Carnival Night and before Ice Cap, but only for Sonic/Tails quest. Since Knuckles warps right to Ice Cap from Carnival night zone you could leave FBZ where they put it in the official release to avoid skipping FBZ all together. Is it possible to have a different level order for different characters?

2. For the revised cutscene at the end of Carnival Night you could have Sonic watch the ship fly by after you defeat the CNZ boss. Then have him run over to the canon to launch himself onto the ship.

3. For the cutscene at the end of Mushroom Valley, you could have Sonic/Tails catch up to Knuckles as he jumps onto the Flying Battery ship. Sonic could jump after him and grab onto either the ship or Knuckles legs (lol) then have Knuckles knock him off! sending him to Sandopolis. I don't know if it really makes sense to have knuckles fly with the ship and jump off to the same part of Sandopolis as Sonic did, but thought it would be a cool idea. Any suggestions to add to this?

4. Lengthen Knuckles path at the end of Carnival Night to have a boss, same for LRZ.

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    1. Well, certainly. Knuckles doesn't go to the same Sky Sanctuary act that Sonic does, after all! This is, barring some VRAM space issues, quite possible, though not the easiest change to code (see above). It also messes a bit with the super emerald count that Sonic and Tails can get.

3. Yeah, I honestly can't tell why it would be that Knuckles would go to the Flying Battery at that point in the game in Sonic's story. Knuckles' game is not concurrent with Sonic's. I wonder if even the devs had an idea for a transition between MHZ and SZ before they decided to change level order/split up the game.

4. Although I can see this being potentially possible for CNZ, I wouldn't want to fight that boss as much playing as Knuckles, since he doesn't have a lot of opportunities to take hits, given Knuckles' jump height. If you REALLY want to, though, you can actually fight him, but you have to take the upper route beforehand to get to that area. Knuckles can climb the inside of that tall tube. I can't see LRZ's boss working as Knuckles, though, from a storyline standpoint (no Death Egg around any more); it's also not a very compelling boss either (just gotta stand here and wait for 14 mines to hit that guy).

=======

I made a mockup of the music transition I suggested earlier. Doubt it's actually feasible though, since I don't think there's any way to specify a resume point like this.

8. MastaSys

MastaSys

In a way Mecha Sonic is the boss for Knuckles' LR, I mean you don't have any proper game-play until there.

From what Tiddles posted, he already have the night version of the FBZ made but it's not in place, I suppose moving it around it's the difficult part of the process, and it's not ready for the next release.

And as pointed out, it's very clear that Knuckles playthrough is not at the same time as Sonic, there are several hints in the levels that show this, and The Sonic's Eggrobo ending and Knuckles' ending of "yay we're friends" support the idea that's after Sonic's one.
    You got more about it info here from Sonic Retro wiki.

9. AstroPenguin

AstroPenguin

You're right, I never thought of that. I always thought it was close to the same time as Sonic's story. In that case, the transition after Mushroom Valley could just be them simply jumping off the cliff, or looking off the cliff and a gust of wind blows them off.

10. dsrb

dsrb

Sorry for the bump, but I'm wondering how this is going and when the next release might be? Especially if it has some of the cool stuff you've previewed recently! Also (since the forum search for your previous posts puts them in some stupid order and I don't feel like hunting), is the latest release still 110706?

Also, I just saw it on YouTube and got wondering: if things like original level transitions are on the cards to be options in some mythical future release, what about the snowboarding intro?

11. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    I had wanted to have something out by now, but I didn't really count on Skyrim being a glorious, life-sucking return to form. :)

I've been back on the case this week, tidying up the loose ends in new features. Gameplay-wise, Jam difficulties and Sonic 3A mode are complete, I think, barring any strangeness I might pick up later. But the presence of that stuff means I really need to put some work into a satisfactory menu setup to select it, because going away to patch options for difficulty settings seems excessively irritating, and while I'm in menu mode, I really want it to be able to handle some music stuff, and possible future additions without masses of work. So I think I'm going to have to put a bit of time into that before another release to save myself time later.

There's also some fantastic (I think anyway!) surprise patch option stuff I need to work on, because half of that is still not integrated from months ago on account of getting into all that work with modes and difficulties. (I was really losing the will to live extracting Jam layouts for a while!) And in a similar vein, I still need to get Neo's splendid act icons in there.

If I had to put my finger in the air for a date, I'd guess maybe sometime in February for a new release - maybe sooner, maybe later. Last time I guessed myself at a new release in February, it ended up in April, so frankly it's anybody's guess, but that's my best one for now. :) On the plus side, all that stuff I've been talking about makes it probably the biggest release in terms of new features I've actually done, so I hope that makes the wait a little more worthwhile, although it is relatively lacking in bugfixes for the original game at the moment - that's something else I hope to put a little time into soon.

110706 is indeed still the latest public release, and I'm not aware of any major issues with it (apart from things that were already wrong with S3K).

12. dsrb

dsrb

Thanks for the update! I'm pretty excited for this. :)

Also: Did you ever specifically say we could select pink Knuckles? I saw the discussion about palettes and the technical changes required, and I think I saw the bit about PC and NPC colours being made uniform, but I thought that was to make everything red, and it was only when I happened to check out the Customiser that I saw that we can choose which palette to use. It's not as exciting as I thought, but y'know, still pretty cool. :v:

I wish Jam had a hard mode, then we'd get that here too. I'd love an actually challenging version of S3&K. I've tried NovaWizard's Master Edition (and someone else's unauthorised-hack-of-an-unauthorised-hack entitled ME2), but I guess I'm just not that masochistic.

13. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    I think there was some discussion of the pink Knuckles stuff when that patch came out with 110623 - including some debate on whether it should be the default since it's more Sonic 3-ish. I still might swap that around sometime...

14. AstroPenguin

AstroPenguin

any plans to add a patch for other characters from the mid 90's era? just for fun :specialed:

I.e. Espio or Mighty (with special moves from Chaotix)

or Bunnie Rabbot from the Archie Comic/SatAM series would be awesome (when I was a kid I remember how anxious I was to get Sonic 3, for some reason I thought she would be in it LOL)

http://t2ak.roblox.com/02b6688468354969ec580065212a2b56
    http://images.wikia.com/ultimatepopculture/images/3/30/Bunnie_vs_Mecha_Sonic.jpg

15. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Wow. This has gotta be the blurriest spritesheet I've ever seen. Kinda defeats the purpose of making sprites, if it's gonna be entirely unusable like this.

16. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Chances are, I doubt he will. It kinda defeats the purpose of this hack...
    BTW that Bunny Rabbot sprite sheet is too blurry...

17. dsrb

dsrb

I do not like this post.

KingofHarts put it too nicely. Ideas like this have nothing to do with the purpose of this hack, never mind that they're bad anyway.

The only character that should be added as playable is Mecha Sonic. This, in contrast to the above, is an objective fact. Really!

18. MastaSys

MastaSys

How about no new characters at all? If following the lines of the CD port if any new character at the max would be Classic Amy ala-Advance 1 following Tais' Path, and thats pushing for it.
    But that's too much work (Sonic 3 have a notable quantity of animations) for a project that as stated (at least until now) liming the edges of Sonic 3 & Knuckles in a mixture of "If Sonic 3 was released completed" and Tiddles preferences.

19. AstroPenguin

AstroPenguin

Yeah I am aware of the blurriness of those sprites, I just used the best one I could find when searching google images just for an example. I couldn't access the high quality image from "mysticalforestzone.com" because I forgot my login info.

I know these characters don't really fit in the true Sonic 3 game at all. I just thought it would be a fun bonus to have other familiar characters with unique special moves be unlock-able after finishing the game. I don't know about anyone else, but it would give more of a replay value for me being that I've beaten the game with Sonic, Knuckles, & Tails a billion times. I'm not saying this game has a bad replay value, it just would be an optional mode for a fresh feel. Kind of like how it felt bringing Knuckles into Sonic 2, he clearly was never meant to be there but it worked out perfectly.

P.S. Personally I'm not a fan of Amy Rose or anyone else that was new in Sonic Adventure onward, they just aren't fun to play as. Then again, Japan's sonic team didn't really create any fun characters aside for Sonic & Knuckles. USA made Tails didn't they?

20. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Sonic CD says "Hi".

Here's the thing: Sonic 3 Complete is about expanding on what's already there, making changes based on what the game might've been like had it been released on time, particularly using already existing material, and taking cues from the sonic 3C prototypes and other evidence found in the game and early promotional materials. Bunnie Rabbot does not fit that bill in the slightest. Rather, it feels like you had an idea for something you wanted, and are trying to shoehorn it into the most popular hack you could find. Playable Bunnie isn't necessarily a bad thing, but she belongs in a hack of her own.