don't click here

Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Feb 10, 2011.

1. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    No, that is not it; in my XP VM, it uses a maximum of about 25 MB of RAM (about 7 of which are for the actual program, the rest being the DLLs). Out of curiosity: can you share what is the path for the files in your system? I will also check the 2007 disassembly, just to make sure the program is actually compatible with it (I have been using the SVN disassembly, which is based on it, and assumed it was; it probably is, but it never hurts to check...).
    Edit: except that I can't seem to download the 2007 disassembly from the Wiki -- it can't find the file.

2. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
  3. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Thanks for testing; when I tried downloading it, I got a 'not found' error.

4. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Please forgive me for asking... I did a search, perhaps I didn't look well enough.
    Where can I find the Blue Sphere and Sonic 1 Special stage Editors?

5. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=23978 < Sonic 1 Special Stage Editor. *cough*

6. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Sweet. Just need to develop some special stage art editing tools now.

Last time I checked it was kosinski format (I think?), but the tiles were 1x8 pixels in size o_0

7. flamewing

flamewing

France
    It is Kosinski 1x8; after decompression, each line is written 8 times to VRAM, making an 8x8 tile. I already have a small utility that converts to/from the 1x8 to the normal tile format; but there is much more to special stage art editing than that. There is major use of horizontal scroll tables and VSRAM (which I still haven't quite figured out) to twist these tiles into the tracks as we see it in-game.

8. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I guess I'll try the original disassembly then and see if that works. Please let me know if you figure out something.

9. flamewing

flamewing

France
    A couple of questions: which OS are you trying on? And does everything work fine if you try using version 0.1 (available at the Wiki)?

10. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I'm using Windows XP. I'll try 0.1 then.

11. flamewing

flamewing

France
    FYI, I am working on quite a massive update which takes into account segment sizes as well (they aren't all equivalent), as well as adding a whole bunch of new tools for inserting rings or bombs, and allowing selection/deletion of multiple items, as well as cut/copy/paste. Here is a screenshot (minus the segment sizes, which I haven't coded yet, and undo/redo, which is being coded but not finished) to whet your appetites:
    [​IMG]

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Looks good, but that diamond of rings you show in that screenshot seems to be off-center. If the X position snaps to a grid, you should probably use an odd number of rings so it can be kept centered.

13. flamewing

flamewing

France
    It works by click and drag -- in that case, I clicked in the position of the topmost ring, dragged down to get the vertical size then dragged right to separate the rings in the array to the maximal separation. The separation also snaps to the grid, unless the grid is disabled by either holding control or toggling it off in the toolbar.

14. flamewing

flamewing

France
    So, I decided to stop being lazy and finish the last update I was working on. Here it is:

[​IMG]

Changes:
    • Fully functional undo/redo: you can now undo your mistakes -- whether it is the deletion of a ring group, a segment or even an entire special stage. The undo/redo are also smart, grouping many related actions.
    • WYSIWYG drag/drop of selections.
    • Rings and bombs can now be drawn in lines, loops, triangles and more in a click-and-drag manner, adding several rings and bombs in a WYSIWYG manner.
    • Added a counter showing total rings, bombs and ring/bomb shadows. This can be used to keep them within limits, which would prevent a segment from ever ending.
    • Grid-lock (toggled through toolbar button, defaults to on) constrains the possible angles for ring and bomb placement.
    You can grab the Windows binary or the source code.

Edit: I reuploaded with stripped DLLs, so the final download size is less than half.

15. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Because Google Code is going under, I have updated the links to point to the downloads in the wiki. I also updated said wiki downloads, because version 2.0 had never been posted there; I had uploaded the files before, but for some reason, they had never been linked to in the wiki page.

For convenience, here are the links: Windows binary or the source code.

Also, the project is now on GitHub.