don't click here

Sega Pico/Beena Thread.

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Kiddo Cabbusses, May 9, 2010.

1. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Bump me do

Knowing that nobody else would do this, I sourced 240MB+ of Pico ROM dumps so I could record all the ROM headers. It was mostly a success, but apparently Sega Retro is missing about a dozen Korean-exclusive games.

The problem is the names have been romanised (poorly?) - I don't know what the original Korean titles were, or what to call their pages on the wiki. Help solve the mystery:

Allowa Pongka (Korea) (Samsung Pico).md
    Bioneun Nal (Korea) (Samsung Pico).md
    Ddoddo-rang Koko-rang (Korea) (Samsung Pico).md
    Dreamland Tour (Korea) (Samsung Pico).md
    Geumdokki Eundokki (Korea) (Samsung Pico).md
    Jeulgeo-oon Pati-leul Yeolja! (Korea) (Samsung Pico).md
    Kibodeu Piko (Korea) (Samsung Pico).md
    Muat Tago Galka (Korea) (Samsung Pico).md
    The Cloud is Wizard (Korea) (Samsung Pico).md
    Tinga-wa Haenggo-eui Toongtang Toongtang Doshi (Korea) (Samsung Pico).md

As there are ROM dumps (that can be emulated), we really ought to care.

Also if any other dumps have turned up in the last few years, chances are Sega Retro doesn't know about them. That's something else that can be fixed.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
  3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    me again, here to bust a myth

[​IMG]
    This is the Pri Fun, a printer Sega released in the mid-90s (October 1995 I discovered, after some digging).

From time immemorial the internet has said this is compatible with the Pico and Sega Saturn. Almost certainly thanks to the box:
    [​IMG]

What if I told you this was a load of old balls? That it no more supports the Saturn than it does the other devices printed here; televisions, camcorders, VCRs and... yes that's "レーザーディスク" for LaserDisc.

The way the Pri Fun seems to fundamentally work is that it takes a snapshot of a video signal, then prints the results on paper. What might generate a video signal? All of the above, thus the device is compatible with all of the above, but not specifically made for them. It also has other printing options, letting you make greetings cards or invitations or whatever with special paper - it's a multi-function device, and as far as games consoles go, a rudimentary capture card that works with still frames.

It is not, therefore, a Saturn peripheral - it doesn't talk to the Saturn, no games explicitly support the Pri Fun, and even the manual refers to more generic "game consoles" than the Saturn in particular. It's just that Sega made consoles, so you might as well use the latest one as the example.

It is, however, sort-of compatible with the Pico:

[​IMG]
    Petapeta Chokkin Asoberu Zukan: Doubutsu and Sanrio Festival Tanoshii Card-dzukuri (both released in 1995) explicitly claim to have Pri Fun support. Right now I'm not sure if there were any others, and it's not looking like there was a direct connection between Pico and Pri Fun - the Pico just draws something useful on the screen for you to print. Given the Pri Fun both works and was marketed as a stand-alone device, I'm tempted not to class it as strictly a Pico accessory either, in the same way a "television" isn't a Pico accessory. Literally any games console or computer that draws something to the screen could be considered "compatible" (in fact, a lot of older computer printers worked on the same principle - press a button, and it prints the screen).

I also discovered that technically this device was sold in the US:

https://archive.org/details/Gamers_...ublications_US/page/n113/mode/1up?q="pri+fun"

It doesn't really count if your business is just importing Japanese produce as-is, but as Tommo bothered to advertise the Pri Fun in a few US gaming magazines in around 1998, it'll be more common in North America than the Pico software designed to make use of it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List