don't click here

SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Can SADXPCTools work for the GC version as well? Like using SALvl?

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    For GameCube, only SA2B's standalone model files are currently supported. SADXGC is not supported at all currently.
    This is because the level files in both GameCube games are .rel files, analogous to Windows .dll files, which strip all pointers and put information for restoring them in a relocation table in a format that I cannot currently decode, let alone modify.
    It should be possible to extract levels from a memory dump generated by the Dolphin emulator, although you would have to locate the LandTable yourself. It appears that the tools already support SA2B format levels, so I may make an option for LevelExtractor to rip an SA2B level from a memory dump if I can locate the necessary pointer(s).
    But really, there will be little if any difference between SADXGC and SADXPC as far as level models go. They're the same game.

3. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Hmm. Well it's just that I don't have the PC version. well, I might, on a backup, but otherwise I'd have to buy it again... :colbert:

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I'm not ruling it out for the future, but for right now, you're out of luck. I won't be able to add SADXGC support until I figure out exactly how I'm going to properly support SA2's chunk model format (I really need to stop calling them "SA1" and "SA2").

5. pablodrago

pablodrago

BS AS
    hi, and sorry for the bump, but I just tried the new SADXpctools, and I think I have a problem, at least in SADXlvl2, the problem is simple, all dashpads are spikes in SADXlvl2, maybe is just a mistake in the list, but in a vanilla game Speed Highway, look like this:
    [​IMG]

6. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    This may be a longshot... but does anyone here have the latest build of Sonic Adventure RDX? The only place the team uploaded it to was Megaupload, which of course doesn't work anymore. xD;

There are also some really awesome Amy skins I saw on Youtube (like Cream and Rarity retextures), but of course they were uploaded to Megaupload as well. -_-;

7. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    How would I go about ripping SADX levels?

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Grab SADXLVL, copy the file "sonic.exe.ini" into a US install of SADXPC (not Steam version), run SADXLVL and open the ini file, choose a level, then go File -> Export -> .obj -> All

9. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Ah, said I'm missing advmodels.dll.

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    There is no "advmodels.dll", but if it says a dll is missing, you should make sure that the folder with sonic.exe has a "system" subfolder and it has all the necessary PVM and DLL files within it.

11. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Ah. Well, I reinstalled it, but now it's saying "Group with Name "503C0" does not exist.
    Got it work.

[​IMG]

Get this when exporting as obj. Same error when I try to open Twinkle Circuit.

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I have no idea what's causing that error and I'm not even going to try fixing it. Apparently SADXLVL2 has obj export, so you could try setting up SADXPCTools after making sure you have a US EXE.

13. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I figured out what's causing it. When mess with the view options, that happens when I load a level, or mess with views, like show object,s etc.

Code (Text):
    2. System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'F:\Backups\Emulation\Ripping\GameContent\Sonic Adventure DX\&H1E39ADC'.
    3. File name: 'F:\Backups\Emulation\Ripping\GameContent\Sonic Adventure DX\&H1E39ADC'
    4.    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    5.    at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
    6.    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
    7.    at System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes(String path)
    8.    at SonicRetro.SAModel.LandTable.LoadFromFile(String filename) in C:\RetroSVN\Programs\SAModel\SAModel\LandTable.cs:line 118
    9.    at SonicRetro.SAModel.SADXLVL2.MainForm.backgroundWorker1_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) in C:\RetroSVN\Programs\SAModel\SADXLVL2\MainForm.cs:line 138
    That's from SADXLVL2's log. This happened when I tried to open a level. I used the exe you linked.

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Azu I believe that error is what you get when you try opening SADXLVL's INI in SADXLVL2. It's not backwards compatible.

Anyway, I've finished a new build of SADXPCTools, with greatly improved SA2 support, including the ability to save levels and models in sa2lvl format. SA2 -> SA1 converters for levels and models are planned, any kind of actual editing support for SA2 is unclear at this point.

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I'd wait on anything SA2 related until the PC port release coming soon. after all, why muck around with the console versions any longer when a PC port is within our grasp?

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    For the same reason the tools support the Dreamcast version of SA1 and SA2B. They take little effort to add support for, and people may want to import models from them, even if editing them is not easily doable. Furthermore, we have no idea how much they may have changed internally for the new port or how difficult modifying it will be.

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I doubt that much will be changed tbh, this is SEGA here were talking about who did a portception on both the 2011 ver. Sonic CD and SADX ports. Doubt were going to see any real effort on their parts.

But if you want to add support for the DC and GC versions I say go for it. be good prep for the PC port. :)

18. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    I think the latest build is the one from the 2010 hacking contest; if I'm correct, then I still have the original zip archive. I'll upload it.

EDIT: Here you go.

19. I'm certain that this has already been asked before, and I apologize for repeating the question yet again, but this is a 128-page-long topic, and I really don't want to spend hours digging through all the posts to find the answer.

What version of SA:DX does this all work for? I found a version of the game from 2008, and want to know if it's worth getting. If it's not something I can mess with and try hacking, I'm not going to bother with it because I already own a legit version on the GameCube that I can play any time I want.

20. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    It works with most versions of SADX PC (if not all, save for the Japanese version that we know little about), as long as it's not from the Dreamcast Collection.