don't click here

SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Aug 15, 2009.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Actually, I already had found some models and forgot momentarily:
    However, I have not been able to locate their heads, arms or legs. Their code is so different to the rest of the game it's hard to figure out what anything is doing.

2. I'm going to take a look soon through the Dreamcast Japanese SA1 discs to see if I can find that drum 'n' bass track that was purported to be found unused on YouTube. The ADX files will be an obvious place to look but if it really does exist it may be in the MLTs and that's why no one has found it. Or, more likely, it's a hoax.

I might have done something wrong, but every .mlt converted to dsf gave me the same ~38 sound effects, the same as COMMON_BANK00.dat on SADX PC.

I compared the results of the two, and it appears to me at least that the Dreamcast sound effects are of higher quality, and the ring loss sound is a higher pitch in the PC version than the original Dreamcast version! (That explained why it always sounded wrong to me on PC.)

3. Turbohog

Turbohog

I guess I forgot to mention that all of the mlt files that extract in Sonic Adventure are apparently the same. I think the only ones that won't extract are the sound effects from the cutscenes, but that seems rather useless to me.

On the other hand, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle has more mlt files besides the cutscenes and E_TEST. Hopefully we'll be able to extract those soon enough.

Thats interesting abou quality and the ring loss pitch though. I'll probably check that myself later today and if it's true, I'll go ahead and upload an SADX sound bank with the original dreamcast effects for giggles.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
  5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Does it matter if we also put them in the voice_jp folder as well?

6. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    If you want those sounds to work with the Japanese voices as well, then yes it does, and you should do it.

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
  8. Turbohog

Turbohog

Neat stuff! By the way, it seems like you may have accidentally broken SADXLVL2 with your latest update. When I try to open a lot of the levels, I get an unhandled ArgumentOutOfRangeException. The log file says this:
    I also went and put every SA2 level through the Level Extractor. They were all successful, except for stg07, stg11, stg13, stg17, stg18, and stg42. Maybe my rip of SA2 is bad, but I think the addresses for these might be wrong.

As usual, thanks for all the great work MainMemory!

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Having verified the addresses myself with SALVL, I can assure you they are correct. However I think there may be a bug where some SA2 models end up with some null vertex entries, which crashes the code that saves it to binary. No explanation on the D3D error though, could you tell me some specific levels, and I'll look into it as soon as I'm able?

10. Turbohog

Turbohog

Thanks for the explanation on the SA2 levels. Concerning the D3D error, some of the levels that won't load are Emerald Coast 2, Windy Valley 1, Windy Valley 3, Twinkle Park 1, and Twinkle Park 2. (Pretty much most of the levels)

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Extract this to the objdefs\Common folder.

12. Turbohog

Turbohog

That did the trick. One more thing...when I build sonic.exe, this happens:
    So, it seems like it ends up building the file fine though.

Sorry about all this. I'm pretty sure these errors aren't my fault though...I'm honestly just reporting errors for the benefit of all. If I knew how to fix the code myself, I would haha.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
  14. Can we somehow extract character models and animations from SA2? Having animated character models would be great. :)

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    If I can get full COLLADA support working, and figure out the rest of SA2's model format, then you will be able to extract models with animation at some point in the future.

16. darkspines35

darkspines35

It's Easy Actually. No, seriously. Tech Member
    .V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    That'll be great MM! Also, I hope to help you figure out the rest of the model's format. Just need to find the models with that lack one half of the full model structure, then see how they're linked up. Hopefully that's all it'll take... Did it ever mention anything on those in the DevKit? I forgot D:

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    New SADXPCTools:
    Now split.exe and build.exe have common code in SADXPCTools.dll, which will also be used in future versions of SADXLVL2.
    Includes SADXTweaker2, which provides editors for several data types:
    • Object List Editor
    • Texture List Editor
    • Level Texture List Editor
    • Trial Level List Editor
    • Boss Level List Editor
    • Sound Test List Editor
    • Music List Editor
    • Sound List Editor
    • String List Editor (SET file suffixes, unused Japanese level list)
    • Next Level List Editor
    • Cutscene Text Editor
    • Level Clear Flag List Editor
    To use SADXTweaker2, run split first, then open the exename_data.ini (eg sonic_data.ini) file in SADXTweaker2.

I wanted to have a preview image for SADXTweaker2's cutscene text editor... but it turns out I have no idea how to look up a specific character in the fontdata files.

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Update for SADXPCTools: fixed build.exe and postbuild.cs, and the Trial Level List Editor disables the Add button if there are ten levels in a list, since it turns out that's a hard limit.
    Update for SASave: fixed the character names in the Level Clear Count editor.

Also, related to both of these: if you add a level for a character in trial mode, the level will not show up unless the save file indicates it was cleared at least once.

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Nice, thank you for the update.

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Another SADXPCTools update: there was a bug with saving the animation header (only affects level geometry files) that has been fixed. Basically any level with moving parts had invalid pointers to the animations. You'll have to re-split everything.

Edit: forgot to update the objdefs folder.