don't click here

PROSONIC IS NOW OPEN SOURCE

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by saxman, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Only issue is with renaming the engine. It'll most likely be named the Blast Engine. Anyone strongly opposed? There will be a "blast mode" also, which is in part why I am warming up to Blast Engine. Plus, it allows me to keep that "PS" logo (because it looks like a B too).

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I strongly believe ProSonic is the best name for the engine that you came up with—everything else sounds more or less tacky. If you have to rename the engine no matter what, then I guess that's what you have to do, but I don't think you'll get as strong a response as you would with the "ProSonic" moniker.

3. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Seconded. I can't think of any name that aren't tacky, PS is the best name for the engine IMO.

4. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    I would be strongly interrested, since Brunni and I are having some difficulties of restrictions and time with the gba engine we're making, so it would be a great solution for us.

5. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    "Ambitious" is the word you're looking for.

Anyway, this just might be the incentive I need to start working on my art again, though I'd only wind up running into a dead end sooner or later when it comes to actually developing a game. Glad to see this project still alive, though!

6. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Nothing wrong with being ambitious, but you have to crawl before you can walk. Want ProSonic to be the de facto standard? Then you better have some patience and hope because it's not going to happen any time soon. It took years for extensive ASM hacking to gain actual ground in the community after the first Sonic 1 disassembly was released. Some might argue we still aren't quite there. Even in this case, it's not like saxman has a monopoly on accurate Sonic engines made for personal computer platforms. The community will ultimately decide what succeeds in the end. Point is, I guess, I've learned from personal experience that you should only set certain goals and expectations when there are reasonable indications that said expectations can actually be met. Moreso when these expectations rely on the actions of others. For ProSonic, like everything else just starting out, it's way too early for that.

All being said, I'm cautiously optimistic regarding what you may have in store.

7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    The reason it took years for ASM to come into it's own, I'd think, is because of the especially steep learning curve- the learning curve of hacking in general isn't all that forgiving, in my experience. The difference here is that ProSonic is being built from the ground up with the intent of being the most accessible and accurate means of creating Sonic games available. It's hardly fair to claim that his expectations aren't reasonable when he's catering to two already established facets of the community; even if the hackers won't swallow their pride long enough to give it a shot, the fangamers will undoubtedly lap this shit up in the end so long as it's more functional than Gamemaker, and that's not exactly the loftiest goal to surpass!

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    ProSonic sounds eh.

Blast Engine sounds FUCK YEAH! BLAST PROCESSING!

9. jman2050

jman2050

But this is what happens with every sort of game making tool out there. It's gonna take time for the program's worth to manifest itself in the results, and until then it's mostly a crapshoot. Tracking the progress of several different game creation utilities (and working on one currently), both popular and otherwise, tells me this is true.

10. I like the title ProSonic, but damn if Blast Engine doesn't bring back some wonderful memories. Don't name it Xtreme Engine or it'll get canned.

Also, I could test it on wine, but I'm sure you'll wait until you've got a release candidate.

11. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to prove now, but I'm sure saxman finds it quite disheartening that you have so little faith in him, considering that he's had nearly a whole decade to perfect his craft.

12. jman2050

jman2050

Then that's his problem, not that you should be speaking for him anyway.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I do wish to make it known that I fully support this sentiment. I don't think it sounds especially corny or cheesy given the noted origin.

14. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Would XBox porting be a possibility?

Yes, it's a fairly selfish question, but it would make it really compete with (or flat-out DEFEAT) Retro Sonic for the title of 'best engine'. The latter saw a DC release for a demo, so I'm rather confident this is doable.

15. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    How about a PSP port if we're fantasizing about such things? The PSP has great controls, relatively easy homebrew access (remind me to mod mine once I get home) and can also output its signal to a TV.

16. Nibble

Nibble

Oldbie
    I think Saxman has said before that ProSonic will be open-source, so people can port it to whatever platform they want.

17. Power Hedgehog

Power Hedgehog

Chicago, IL (USA)
    Sonic GEDA
    All I know is, I can't wait until a release, because I will most definitely be porting my game into the ProSonic Engine. Saxman, keep up the good work. :(

18. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I'm still somewhat confused as I can't find any info in the project plans. If we're going to be able to code stuff within this engine and then port it back to roms, exactly how are things coded within this ProSonic? I assume it can't be 68k again as that's no distinct advantage over just using what we've got. Is it some sort of simpler pseudo language, like a basic 68k, or maybe even something similar to Multimedia Fusion? Also, are we on a restricted palette like with the genesis? As I'm sure not all projects are targeted for going back to a rom format.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere already and I overlooked it.

19. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
  20. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Actually, I would disregard the outline I wrote in 2007. It no longer reflects accurately the direction of the engine.

There aren't any 64 color limitations. The first public release will only use 256 colors, but future releases will be able to use 16-bit color. The engine supports high color modes, but they're broken at the moment and likely won't be fixed in time.

I'm still working out the nuts and bolts of the scripting language. I don't wanna get too optimistic about it just yet. I will be detailing it in the coming weeks though, so keep an eye out for that. I know that's not much clearer, but I can tell you it won't be anything like Multimedia Fusion (at least not in the first engine release). I will also say the engine won't be released without a working form of scripting support. The release date will ride heavily on this one feature. That puts a lot of pressure on me, but I'm making progress one step at a time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.