don't click here

Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Apr 25, 2013.

Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1. YES, count me in, I would love to play this game.

261 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. I may play the game, (not sure how I feel about it yet.)

43 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Nope! Game looks like shit. I love only modern HD games.

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Thats right, there are a lot of free alternatives out there like Gimp blender and other such programs !
    I wish that I was rich,,,,I just work hard, and budget a lot.

2. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Just to be clear: not only is there a free hobby/student version for Maya, there's also one for 3DS Max.
    I have 3DS Max on my computer, fully activated, downloaded from Autodesk's official website.

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    This. Autodesk always provides free student versions of its products. In the last 4 years, I legally haven't paid a dime for any of their software.

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hmm,,can't believe I missed that! sounds great. does it have any restricted features like adding plugins, or running max scripts?

5. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Not too sure about Max (I primarily use AutoCad), but the student version of CAD AFAIK only plots with a plot stamp (which are very easily removable via Photoshop/Illustrator or the like); I haven't come across any issues/restrictions in all these years. I'm sure there's not too many restrictions in Max, if any.

6. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    As far as I'm aware, there are no restrictions at all in the hobbyist version of Max. Maxscripts and plugins are definitely fully supported.

7. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    That April 30 demo looks fantastic! It looks a lot like the old PC version's unreleased beta videos. You are doing a great job at making this project look accurate to the original. The Fish-eye effect has always been something unique to this game out of the other Sonic games that makes it interesting. You are restoring a lost work of art from scratch.

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Update: project on hold for a little while ( 1 or 2 weeks)

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

okay,, now to color and add reflections than get it ready for animation...

Edit: Made some corrections to right side of mesh.
    [​IMG]

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I feel like that shouldn't be in the game since it wasn't made by them, rather it's made by you. Maybe you could use the same idea of the animation for a different logo?

11. Aberdorf

Aberdorf

Or he could include something like "Originally made by" or "Based on the game created by" before the logos.

Anyway, Andrew75 that's an incredible reconstruction of the logo; it's a shame you (or anybody) couldn't find a higher resolution version of it.

12. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hmm yeah I did think about this for awhile, and I feel that since STI did make a lot of the content that im using like the textures music and sonic sprites and so forth that they deserve some credit in the project somewhere.
    There will be a better explanation (as a bonus feature ) in the game as to why im using there logo.

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Just remove the crappy extrusion from the logo and you'll be good. And correct the sparkle directly above the G of SEGA, that's the only difference I could spot though, very good job on the vectorization!

14. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    It needs depth since Sonic will be smashing threw the text breaking it into debris.

Test simulation screenshot. (3ds Max Viewport)
    [​IMG]

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Which of the 3 do you like? Also do the sound FX match or feel out of place?
    http://youtu.be/pVrQAvoQeJA

16. synchronizer

synchronizer

That's a neat introduction screen but it contrasts with the low-quality graphics and polygons of the actual game. It would have made more sense if you kept your original idea of recreating X-treme as if it were built for modern machines.

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Saturn Had FMV did it not ? lol
    I'll be using videos in much the same way Sega Saturn did for many games back in the day.

18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    But they did not use very high quality reflections on the videos. 3D was very basic at the time, use this as a reference. And you can make the STI logo go 3D just before sonic was going to smash it, like this:

2D color logo on White BG:

Logo gains Depth and the BG turns black

*rest of the animation sequence*

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    http://youtu.be/kuuBZFYL9HA

There are a number of older games with FMV that contained reflections. ( btw I have been modeling since 1998 and as far back as I can remember we had raytraced reflections in quite a few 3D packages, even on older Amiga based systems)
    If you look closely in the clip above, you'll see reflections of the text on the floor, although they are very light because of the artists choice in how much reflection they wanted to show off.
    The project AXSX logo wont be changed to remove the reflections, since its how I'd like it to look, even if it does not match Sonic X-treme's look and feel 100%
    ( that goes for any other video made for the project) I really wish there were FMV sequences made for Xtreme so I wouldn't have to make them myself as they really eat up time.
    Im also not sure which story to pick for the project as X-treme just has so many... oh god anyone out there that wants to set up story animations ?!

Yeah man, I was actually kind of thinking about this sort of STI intro when you first mentioned something about it above. Don't want to work on this forever, I'd rather be doing gameplay stuff. (But The game does not feel complete without a proper intro and title screen)

20. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I love the third logo animation