don't click here

Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Apr 25, 2013.

Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1. YES, count me in, I would love to play this game.

261 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. I may play the game, (not sure how I feel about it yet.)

43 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Nope! Game looks like shit. I love only modern HD games.

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    It sure looks cool but I'm not sure if it's visible enough for regular gameplay.

2. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Its pretty visible when playing, But yeah it does need some tweaks. I really wanted to do something a little more creative with the shields, so right now its just an idea that I wanted to try out.

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Also an experiment mixing the official leaked Magnetic shield with the custom shader here.. it looks very nice when seen in motion. ( I may just make some new electric shield textures from scratch as seeing the leaked stuff is just enlarged Sonic 3 shields with added pixel detail here and there.)
    [​IMG]
    I'll make some videos when Im happy with it.

4. winterhell

winterhell

Looks great!

5. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Considering how Sonic already has a double jump ability in Sonic X-treme, what would his special ability be with the magnet shield outside of it attracting rings and being resistant against electricity?

6. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I'm not sold on the first shield. I don't think it is visible enough as LordofSquad said - but I guess it probably looks different in motion.

The lightning shield however, I do like. Looks great!

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I've disabled the double jump in AXSX since most of the levels that were leaked would be broken. ( being able to skip whole areas all together because of Poor layout planning.
    The Magnet shield will continue to have the same abilities as before, and its placement will be well thought out) personally I feel that disabling the double jump makes the game feel a little more refined and adds more challenge.
    All the shield abilities found in Sonic 3 will make a come back in AXSX along with the spinslash. ( there will not be a ring toss move sadly, as we do not have the sprites and making them will take way to much time)

Yeah I'm going to change it up for sure! Right now these are experimental.
    Hmm but im also not sure if I should even use the refraction effect. I feel it does add to the project, and there is evidence that the original team may have wanted to pull something like this off because of the addition of what looks like to me like a green blue refraction map found in the def files.
    However I must be imagining things since,I doubt Saturn or PC could render this sort of map effect back when.. ( sonic R used cube maps and had some kind of water distortion effect for the background water, so perhaps refractions were possible?!...any thoughts my refraction hypothesis?

screencap of each of the def pack shield textures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Mapped reflections I can see being possible (it's just a different kind of texture space anyway), but in Sonic R's case, it was just using an existing texture. If real time render to texture was possible, then using shaders for distortion is only a step away, but that's not the same thing as refraction. Refraction is a whole other can of worms. The distortion shaders themselves do seem like a stretch for the Saturn, but I couldn't say. Honestly I think it could be done, it just seems more unlikely that render to texture was possible.

9. winterhell

winterhell

I don't think the Saturn can even do environment mapping with prerendered textures, let alone from realtime ones. Even PS2 games rarely use realtime environment mapping.

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yeah I guess the ugly green shield is just a coincidence and not used for refractions....Ahh well at lest it gave me an interesting enough idea. Ahaha.

11. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I think you're getting refractions confused with distortions.
    The texture appears to be a displacement map, so you're right about using it for the distortion effect, but warping the pixels on the screen is not really the same thing as refraction, which is just something that can happen to look similar.

12. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yes yes I know that,, haha, I meant it as a visually simulated refraction threw distortion map of course ! I'm lazy when it comes to posting sometimes.

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Okay guys ! Title screen concept art contest for Sonic Xtreme! I'll be competing as well.

Oh yeah,,, rules you ask ? umm....
    1: Make something kick ass! (You can even use the original official logo and mix it up a bit if you like.)
    2:Try to keep it mid 90s. ( modern style is ok too! )

The winner's concept art (may-be re-created in 3D with animation by myself.
    OR....
    If the art is done well enough it could also be used as is.
    ( Story boards showing title screen animation is a huge pluss.)

Good luck !- deadline is 8 - 22 - 2013

P.S.
    We will hold a vote on who's title screen fits the project best. ( or perhaps combine some components from multiple submissions)
    P.P.S. !!! >__<
    Hope we can get more than 1 submission here !
    p.p.p.S! ! !
    Prize = names in credits and title screen concept art shown in bonus features area.
    p.p.p.p.p.S
    Will need Press start, options menu, level select and bonus materials themed areas as well.
    Im not 100% sure what will be in options, most likely a sound test, screen res select, and graphics quality settings.
    (you'll probably only need to mock up backgrounds for these menus and perhaps font styles)
    Anyways its up to you guys !

14. shawnsmitherson

shawnsmitherson

RocketDogShawn Member
    I'm not very good at logos, but I was bored and thought I'd take a stab.

[​IMG]

I dunno, it's not very good, haha.

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Not just looking for a logo, but a whole title screen pitch. although components like logos are welcome !
    Also that's not half bad! I actually really like what you've done there.

BTW, here are some of the official logos from around 1996 just in case anyone cares to use them or mix em up for the contest.
    This is my favorite logo, ripped direct from the leaked beta. (however it just does not seem to cut it as a title screen alone)
    [​IMG]

2 more potential logos from back in the day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Here's my crappy concept:
    [​IMG]
    Basically Sonic would jump into the screen, and then the logo would flash onto the screen. The background would be a sort of demo, but not of gameplay, but instead of one of the levels just rotating around, showing off the fisheye effect.

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Thought you guys may like to take a look at some progress for shield and water distortion shader.
    *getting them to work with one another was a bit of a challenge.
    *Shield refraction effect has also been improved since last screen, (its a round refraction effect now) it still retains the same bubble overlay texture though.
    *Level is just a test areas for the water, It wont be used in the final game.
    *I wanted to keep the water effect simple like the Genisis games, when seen in motion its really not so bad looking.
    [​IMG]

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Not to complicate things but check out the contest entries over on my froums.. http://www.sonic-xtreme.com/forums//viewtopic.php?pid=5023#p5023

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsilK-So0oM&feature=youtu.be
    Should have used darker textures when making the video,,, crap .. ahh well I don't have time to make another one today.
    Anyways what do you guys think of the under-water concept?
    ( It may be hard to see but the water effects also uses a fisheye like effect)
    (also looks like water physics will need to be redone for AXSX, not really liking the Sonic GDK water physics )

20. MachOneSonic

MachOneSonic

↑ & ↓ & ↻ in Aquarium Park Act 2
    Youtube. Conquering the world comes 2nd.
    Lookin good Andrew75. Keep it up!
    The underwater concept looks ok. Of course, you're just showing the effects of the ripples (lovin that by the way) in a test stage. It would be nice to see in anotherupdate how this effect looks like with whatever textures you will be using for that stage. Bring Xtreme back to life!