don't click here

(OLD - ARCHIVE PURPOSE) Items, Menus, Title Cards & Misc Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Hitaxas, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Oh, my old walls with the wip island...

Well, there is a problem with the aspect ratio as you can see, I was using random stock clouds and the original picture didnt help at all...

Also, I suppose someone can do better things with the new island like Compense did

2. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Here, made one using another stock off the interwebs, along with the original source in the new background. Also, are there too many clouds? lol

[​IMG]

Also, of course, it has "regular dimensions" at 1280x800. No stretching!

Edit: Sunset version :D

[​IMG]

3. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

Good job here Comps, It tickles me really cool ideas. ;)

However, isn't there a much more fit topic for this on Concept and Mockups?
    C'mon let's finish these monitors up! ^^

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I like the sunset idea, it could slowly switch from day to night? (comon, we cant just have sunset, it wouldnt fit in with emerald hill zone's theme, titles screens are meant to be day in sonic games, but we could include the sunset switching from day to night, methinks that might look good.)

5. It would look better if it was a painted cloud rather than a photo. ;) It would be good if we could see a mock-up of that too.

6. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Although the sunset one looks stunning, the water doesn't really match the sky colour; It seems/looks like an inverted sunset sky that's been whitened significantly outside the shadows.

7. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, this has been quiet for awhile, but I've done some massive fixes to it.

[​IMG]

8. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    You should put that in front of the Sonic<-->Miles background to make sure the colors don't camouflage themselves.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That's awesome! I can't think of a single reason that shouldn't be accepted—it's a work of absolute genius.

10. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

Hold your horses. We gotta make sure the blue outlines are visible against the blue background in the game, otherwise it might end up looking ugly.

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    There's a drop shadow, and areas where there isn't the blue is of a different shade.

It's fine.

12. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I've just notice. The square window is not central of the circle. You can tell by the distance of the corners.

13. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Bah, that'll be easy enough to fix.

14. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

As long as you're sure.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    It's pretty obvious just looking at it.

16. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    In response to the centering thing, I fixed that, though I think you were referring to actually having the box in the middle of the circle both horizontally and vertically. That would not look right, it would be too unbalanced. I did, however, fix the horizontal centering, so if you meant that, then great. That started bugging me when you mentioned that. I know I only moved it over a couple pixels, but I'm ocd like that, so whatever.

[​IMG]

And I'd say it's pretty much done now.

EDIT: And yes, Chimpo is correct, it will not blend in with the blue background.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It does look better than before with those colors, but isn't the whole thing a bit too dark?

This is more obvious when compared to Flare's take on it.

18. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    It was both. The square frame could do with a few notches up but I agree that it shouldn't be completely central. If it then looks out of place then perhaps moving the ribbon up a few notches would improve it.

19. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Eh, I think it's fine where it's at now. I based my placing for it off Flare's old icon and the original, and I think that's about where it's supposed to be.

@ICEknight
    I actually liked Flare's original stage icon more, and my ribbon is a bit like his. There were a couple places I drew inspiration from for the new ribbon, and his original was one of them. In fact, the only thing I feel really changed for the better when he edited his original was the yellow border around everything. I was fine with everything else, and seeing his old yellow borders is part of what made me decide I was going to try my hand at the thing in the first place. Hell, I made a mock up of what the stage picture could look like and used his thing originally. Vincent was going to have Scanline99 make something for it, but I decided I'd have a go at it simply because that does kinda fall into my category of work. Since, ya know, they display the stages.

As for the thing being too dark, I don't think so. The ribbon might have some pretty good contrast going, but it's noting excessive. It was a LOT darker earlier.

And here's his original just so you can see how awesome his ribbon was and to see how similar our ribbons are, at least shading-wise, that is.
    [​IMG]

In case you didn't notice, I like his old one even though it isn't quite up to snuff by today's standards. His new one just feels like it's trying to be something it isn't.

Something else that you should know is that everyone on the S2HD staff loves my work on this thing. There is no doubt in anyone's mind that it will work with the game. If there was any doubt about it working, they would've told me long ago, and you probably would've never seen it.

20. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    This is something I noticed a few weeks back when those wings were tested against the animated background. They are too bright at the top (blue going to white gradient edge of the top wings).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.