don't click here

Nostalgia Critic reviews Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    He just won't stop!

Nostalgia Critic: "Unlike the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, though, all the creatures and visuals have structure [in the Paraphenelia Wagon section of Halloween is Grinch Night]."

Top 11 Nostalgic Mindfucks - skip to 6:52.

On top of that little comment bordering on plain mean-spirited, it's just untrue.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It's just an opinion.

3. Ben Laserlove

Ben Laserlove

He doesn't like AOSTH, you do, get over it.

Must everyone have their opinions confirmed by popular figures? [/rant]

4. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The Paraphernalia Wagon is amazing. I've got that movie on VHS.

I'm more annoyed that he snatched all that surreal footage from Youtube and called it a day. It's hilarious how obvious it is what he made when compared to the visual mindscrew he lifted all that footage from.

5. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    He always makes callback references to other shows he's reviewed. This isn't new.

6. ...What're you talking about? There are plenty of real-life reviewers who do this sort of thing on TV. But they don't get quite as extreme about it because, well, it gets censored. And besides why do you care that it's "lazy" comedy. I've never really seen a reason to be pissed off because someone found an easier way to make people laugh then clever comedy that's observational-based. And even beyond that, there are some sketch comedy shows that are just as "guilty" of the same things you mention. But people on the internet have lower budgets and much smaller scopes to deal with so naturally it doesn't quite feel the same as the stuff that's on TV. But mostly it's the regulations of TV (swearing etc) that would prevent something like this from getting aired. I'm pretty sure if they weren't there, we'd see more material like this on cable.

In other news I got a great kick out of this review and it did a nice job of explaining why Adventures was a pretty dumb show and why SatAM should've been given a better chance. I almost started to cry when he did :( the love was...just so powerful.

7. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    When I first saw that part I almost fell out of my chair.

8. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    I remember seeing AoSTH back when I was, like 6. It was great back then, because it was a mindfuck, when very few were available that parents would consent to.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    What about Ren and Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life? This show just had a lot of robotnik ass.

10. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    For some reason, my parents disliked me watching Ren & Stimpy after certain hours. Probably out of fear of nightmares. It's my favorite cartoon of all time though.

11. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    My parents were against Ren and stimpy, as well. I watched Rocko as often as I could, but it wasn't on as often as I'd've liked.

12. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Oh, my parents weren't against Ren & Stimpy, they just thought it might scare me at my tender age (three years old). =P

13. El Gran Gordo

El Gran Gordo

Yosh Member
    Eh, I enjoyed AoStH for what it was. It was bad, but I think its fans knew that. Its cheap production values and nonsensical nature added to the show's charm.

SatAM, I feel, is incredibly overrated. I suppose it's not a bad show, but I think the fairly mediocre story is overhyped throughout the community with reckless abandon. NC even ignores some of the same faults it had that he complained about AoStH for having- Sonic's chilidog obsession for example, which is no less prevalent there than it is in AoStH.

I'm a fan his reviews, mind you, but I found his turning a blind eye to SatAM's faults was a bit disappointing.

14. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    How is Sonic liking Chili Dogs a fault in either case, anyway?

15. El Gran Gordo

El Gran Gordo

Yosh Member
    It's not that he liked them so much as they over-referenced them.

Similar to Mario's constant pasta jokes in his cartoons.

16. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I almost forgot, here's the video he got all the trippy stuff from.

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    So THAT'S where some of those images are from. That was freaking amazing and I love it so much. Bloody brilliant.

18. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Sorry if this may seem like a bump, but the Nostalgia Critic has continued on with his usual mentions of Sonic the Hedgehog (not that I'm complaining :v: ). In this week's segment, he mentions about the infamous sexual harassment Sonic Says scene, and even shows it. I won't wreck the scene in which it is used (it's hilarious), but it is well executed.

19. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Bumping this topic because Doug and Rob just posted a commentary video on this review. I think it's worth a listen.

Link to video.

EDIT: Link fixed.

20. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

He pretty much admits he doesn't hate AOSTH, at least not as much as the video makes it out. He also says he would probably love it if watching it drunk, and did find some of it hilarious ("I'm over there"). That was a good watch, he puts a lot of context into it. He still loves the shit out of SATAM though, stating it's the only good adaptation of a video game to TV or film he has ever seen.

Still, I think DiC and Sega putting out two completely different cartoons of the same character at the same time was a stroke of genius. It's the perfect way to get a huge audience to flock to the video games as some kids would like one cartoon over the other and vice versa, unlike the Mario cartoons which were all pretty similar in tone and if you didn't like one, you most likely wouldn't like the others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.