don't click here

Naoto Ohshima@SAGE. Interview tonight at 8:45PMEST

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Shadix, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I think I can answer this one: IIRC, Keiko Utoku, the woman who sang the theme songs.

2. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Pretty sure this is an urban myth. The 510 prototype title screen has the cryptic line "Vocal: Utoku (Mi-Ke)" which some magazine ran with and misinterpreted it as being the voice for Sonic. Of course there's no proof as to what I'm saying, but then again there's also no proof of the contrary.

3. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Well, I'm utterly confused. It seems the interview was done (and done a bit awkwardly, but beggars, choosers, etc.), so why are questions still being asked here? Are we planning to mail him, now?

I'll throw in then the question I think I threw in last time there was going to be an interview with Mr. Ohshima-

What role did you have on the new art style for Sonic Adventure? Did you just define the superflat-esque art style, or also Sonic, Tails, Amy's etc. new designs?

4. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    He's agreed to field questions in text format, so we're asking our questions here to be compiled and sent off.

5. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Sorry, but Sonic sounded definitely male in Sonic CD. No way a woman could have recreated that voice.

Also I guess it may be a good idea if when asking about R2 we didn't mention the cactus in Little Planet or the ruins level in the video (anybody noticed there are two possible candidates for R2?). Not that it'd prevent him from just searching around and stumbling upon whatever theories exist out there.

Also, unrelated to Sonic, I wonder what he thinks about some people still trying to make games for a console on which he had worked 20 years ago. "What do you think about current efforts for making homebrew games for the Mega Drive?" (example if needed - yes, shameless plug =P You could link a video to Pier Solar too I guess)

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    What if they altered the pitch?

7. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    That works sometimes, but not always. Doubt that's the case though, really, for all we know it could have been some random developer (which isn't common in game development) =/

8. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    Well she is the one singing in the game over screen, so there is that. And isn't she credited in the credits anyway? It's on the wiki :D

Also, yes the Interview could have gone better. It could have gone worse, too. He could have not agreed to taking more questions. And...I mean, Skype with translators who haven't done this live before was bound to cause problems. Heck, I didn't know this was happening until an hour and a half beforehand. And the livestream did make certain things drop out. Either way...

I have many questions for the man.

9. Pengi

Pengi

QUESTION: Sonic 2 on Mega Drive, Sonic CD on Mega CD and Sonic 2 on Game Gear each had their own different robot versions of Sonic as the second to last boss. Was there any communication between the three development teams about the idea of a Sonic robot, or was it a coincidence?

QUESTION: Some of the music in the Game Gear version of Sonic 2 was based upon music from Sonic CD. How did this come about?

QUESTION: Whose idea was it to include Flicky in the Sonic series? And who designed Sonic's other animal friends such as Ricky, Pocky and Cucky?

10. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    This is also true for the later 8-bit games. Even Sonic Drift 2 o_o;

11. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    It didn't mean she voiced Sonic.

12. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    The point DTL is trying to make is that the Game Over jingle has the pitch lowered, and that the same could apply for Sonic's voice.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    For that matter, Utoku isn't exactly a soprano. Hell, it's not like Sonic was particularly deep-voiced either.

14. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    These are some good questions I'd like to hear answered. Hataya might be a better person to ask about the second one though.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    EDIT: Disregard, hadn't watched the video.

16. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I had a dream last night where I took Ohshima and Yasuhara out to dinner and then we went to a bar and afterwards I was like "shit, I forgot to ask them video game things"

I guess what I'm trying to get at is: is this thing still happening or did it just kinda fall through?

17. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Yeah, I still want to know about Sonic CD's March 1993 release date, and Sonic's CD VA.

Oh, and R2. =(

18. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Has this been yet? Sorry, I am bad at locating dates and times right now.

Oshima might be able to answer a couple of questions about Sonic 1 and Sonic CD that I have been dying to know:

Sonic 1 questions:
    Who drew all the Sonic sprites in Sonic 1? And how long time did it take? The game ending pose is very impressive art!
    Who drew the title screen Sonic in Sonic 1? The design and colors are different.
    The Eggman sprites in Sonic 1 were so unique they were used with all the original Sonic games with very little changes. Such design is timeless and powerful. You are our hero! (that was no question, lol)
    The backgrounds in Sonic 1 has incredible beautiful clouds, such as Green Hill and the Special Stage. Who was responsible for those?
    The Green Hill checkered pattern and the amazing 3D designs of Sonic 1 is unique in both colors and shading. Who was responsible for those?

Sonic CD questions:
    The intro and outro videos are very unique. Were you in any way responsible for the design of Sonic in the videos? If not, who was?
    The music that was in the Japanese version of the game had people singing in English, but the words are very hard to understand, especially the refrain/chorus. In the western world, people have made up words for it. Do you have the real lyrics, or do you remember what they were REALLY saying?

Yoshi's Island DS questions:
    How did you get involved with Nintendo to do Yoshi's Island DS?
    What was your job as Senior Producer in Yoshi's Island DS?
    How much of the original Yoshi's Island (Super Famicom) did you get access to? Did Nintendo give you the original source code???

Thanks for any answers.

19. Sploit

Sploit

Could someone please post a written transcription of the interview?

20. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It's kind of hard to transcribe. Lot's of misunderstandings and interruptions. It's also hard to transcribe Ohshima's facial expressions.