don't click here

Naoto Ohshima@SAGE. Interview tonight at 8:45PMEST

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Shadix, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Tails was never Sonic's girlfriend and was designed during the development of Sonic 2 over in America. Ohshima had nothing to do with it.

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    For the record, I mock SAGE, but still have the utmost respect for the people behind the scenes that work hard to put it together. Lord knows I don't have the initiative/resources to concoct a cacophony of events.

Or, in a way that Sonic Retro can understand it better:

I-It's not like I LIKE you or anything, stupid baka gaijins.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's wrong in so many levels, but perhaps he can tell us something about each of the secret pictures that can be unlocked in the sound test, including Tails' "SEE YOU NEXT GAME".

Also, was Sonic CD started before Sonic 2? Was it actually supposed to be the Sonic 2, originally? And, dare I ask, did Sonic CD start development on the Mega Drive instead of the Mega-CD?

4. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Actually I believe Ohshima has stated in interviews that CD started as an updated/remade/enhanced/whatever version of Sonic 1 for Mega CD, and was developed parallel to Sonic 2.

5. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Actually this girlfriend talk reminded me about this girl. Is there any new information we should ask about her?

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    So... uhm, did anyone record the audio/saved the answers? ;p

Also long time no post!

7. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKNHQQivUZE[/youtube]

8. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

9. Both Vector and Charmy's designs appeared (Or in Vector's case didn't) almost 3 or 4 years prior to Chaotix, I'm pretty sure they just decided they were good enough for the games canon.

Also, pretty sure Vector wasn't in the manga.

10. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Okay, NOW I get why there hasn't been a transcript yet. That was amazingly awkward, I couldn't make it through the whole thing. I'll try again and see if I can translate anything he said better. It was nice of the translators to do what they did, but they don't seem quite ready for that kind of translating yet.

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    That was very painful to watch . I think setting up a live interview looks like a mistake and probibly should have been kept to an orgonised set of text questions in the first place.

12. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    We've got some questions here!

Not very many, and some of them have been asked, but it'd be nice if whoever's compiling this list could keep an eye on it. This is a good one, though:
    This is pretty important. Who the hell is O. Mato/D. Mwto? Any information we can get on him and any other works of his would be great. Even being able to correctly decipher his signature would be swell.

13. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Are we gonna get a transcript of this? I sure as hell don't wanna sit through this whole thing...

14. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

There is a lizard named Anton.

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I saw there was a video posted above, and I sat down with a pen to begin translating it, and good god I couldn't get more than 5 minutes in. I appreciate the work, but damn that was cringe worthy. I have a low threshold for that sort of thing - it's the same reason I can't watch virtually any "Let's play."

Vector predates Tails, Ray, and, to a degree, Mighty. He's among the earliest Sonic characters period. First known sighting of Vector was in this piece of concept art for Sonic 1:

[​IMG]

Vector was originally the drummer in Sonic's band (hence why he jams out to his headphones in Chaotix) and was going to appear in Sonic 1's soundtest before it was axed.

16. Retroman

Retroman

Gamester454 said for someone to ask Naoto Ohshima about Sonic CD's r2 level, so I'm his unofficial spokesman asking instead ^^
    So, question here: does he remember that scrapped level's name from Sonic CD? any details of what it looked like, the planned boss, good future, bad future and the development on there?

17. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Would Ohshima be the right person to ask about those SNCBNK.BIN files in one of the Sonic CD betas?

Granted, it's a very specific topic. But I'd like to ask him if this theory is actually the truth behind them omitting these files. The experimention behind these files is to me quite interesting in itself, and it shows how the devteam tried to go out of their way finding a creative workaround for looping music.

Questions to Ohshima are in bold.

EDIT: Another idea I have for a (rather dumb) question would be, why was Sonic CD once called CD Sonic?
    EDIT 2: Hell, while we're at it, Sonic CD featured PCM voice samples for Sonic. Do you remember who the actual voice artist was for Sonic?
    EDIT 3: According to old news sources, Sonic CD was to have been released sooner on the Mega CD in March 1993, what caused it's delay?
    I'm not much into the assumption that Sonic 2 caused it's delay, that didn't stop Sega later with releasing Sonic 3 a few months after Spinball & CD.

18. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    After giving up on wading through the whole interview (I am not as strong as I thought) I was going to translate some of the questions in this thread. Then, I realized my Japanese kind of sucks and gave up.

I did translate two of my questions. If whoever's translating these questions is better at it then whoever was translating in the interview (I know it's difficult to do on the spot and even harder to do verbally, but I noticed some questions and answers having their meaning lost in the process), then of course feel free to translate and word these in a better fashion. Otherwise, well, here you go.

"In America and Europe, Dr. Eggman's name was changed from Eggman to Robotnik. His character design was also changed. Did you know about those changes? What's your opinion?"

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

"In Japan, the first Sonic manga had a character called Charmy and a character called Amy. Were Sonic CD's Amy Rose and Chaotix's Charmy Bee based on those characters?"

????????????????????????????????????????????????????CD??????????????????????????????????????????

A simpler way to phrase the R2 questions, by the way, would probably be to just ask short things like "What kind of level was the scrapped level in Sonic CD? What was it called? Is it the ruined area shown in the game's ending animation?" rather than prefacing it with stuff about the R numbers and stuff.
    The R2 question was asked in a Gamasutra article, and he answered that each level had a team working on it, and that particular level just wasn't up to the quality of the rest of the game. I don't think he'll have much information about the more technical stuff.

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I also recommend possibly including the clip from the full ending animation of Sonic CD with Sonic in that ruined lab with the unused badnik. It might help jog some memories after nearly 20 years. Remember, in the past, some of our questions were met with memory recollection issues. Usually having something to show helps jog memories.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wouldn't it be better just to ask him without giving him a made up answer that he can reply to with "oh sure, whatever you just said"?