don't click here

Mighty In Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Yeah, probably when the next project is released (likely Espio).

Maybe not just mine though, I'd like it to be a disscussion thread for all of them, including Feli's new projects and of course the wonderful Knux and Tails in Sonic 1 hacks. Maybe we can sway more into joining this craze. :D

2. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    You could make a thread/site/blog dedicated to these "can this character work in 2D/sonic 1" proof-of-concept hacks :P

3. You are officially my hero (especially in these dark times of 2-D Sola-Sonica)

I'm really intriged in how that mechanic is going to work since outside of Cream there isn't any other character who uses projectile attacks in 2-D Sonic games.

Considering Gamma is a mecha, a style I could see working would be basing his gameplay on the one from the SNES game Assault Suits Valken (Cybernator in the US)

4. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Will Espio's spinning animation change when he travels up hills and through loops? It looked pretty bad to have only the upright animation in the existing hack.

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

You need better idols SMS. :D

Good point really. I'll probably need to figure out how to add extra rotations for sprites like standing and rolling for his wall run move.

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Does he palette-rotate when on his waiting animation? Nobody seems to remember this.

7. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I do. It was awesome, and I'd love to see it implemented. Even if the enemies and things rotate too. :P

8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Crap forgot about that.

So there is a pattern to when he does it. I thought he just flashed it on random occasions.

Then again it will be hard enough to edit the pallettes according to Espio's color scheme as it is.

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Incidentally, about Mighty in Sonic 1:

Of all your character hacks, this one is possibly the weakest due to the lack of ways to genuinely play differently; most S1 hacks give Sonic the spin-dash anyway, and there aren't an awful lot of smashable walls -- and the wall-jump isn't really too usable with the current layouts. So, this plays a lot like Sonic with a spin-dash.

I know it's just a proof-of-concept, I'm just saying some layout tweaks at the very least would be nice.

10. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I think I've got just the thing for it =P
    And if I ever get my fireball stuff working I could always work on a Megaman in Sonic 1, with like a basic shoot attack.

11. shihe

shihe

Wrong, dude.

Mighty's wall jump is extremely useful, but you have to be really pro at the timing in places like Labyrinth Zone to get the best of it.
    And of course, his wall jump upwards >>>>> Knuckles climbing.

Mighty hack is actually one of my favorites.

---

PSI, here's an idea for projectile. Well... it's not really a projectile, but it's an automatic homing ranged attack... Yeah, I'm talking about Super Tails' flicky. It's the closest to a projectile the Classic trilogy has. And if you implement it on Gamma, except you change the flicky sprite for a rocket sprite, then you might have achieved it. I know it sounds easier said than done, after all I reckon it's extremely hard to get to these source codes from Sonic 3&K.

BTW, I'm really excited about that Espio hack you're working on. I guess you wanted to get the Chaotix done first. That's great!
    Hope you can get that ceiling/wall running code working soon.
    You say you need a spritesheet for Cream? What kind of spritesheet? There's the one it tries to mimic oldschool style Cream, I think that would fit just fine.

Speking of other characters in Sonic 1 hacks...
    I found a Ray the Squirrel hack the other day, but it has some issues. Maybe, giving due credit to the rightful owner of the hack, you could use it as a template to perfect it. The bugs I found were:

-After stage select code, if you die in Labyrinth Zone, you enter debug mode.
    -Final Zone freezes the game.
    -Sprite disappears for a split second when standing still.

That's pretty much it. Ray has a very weird glide mechanic. It doesn't slide to a stop like Knuckles. When you land, he can keep running without losing the speed. His glide is slow, and if you let go of the jump button, you drop like a brick while gliding till you press it again (but even though it feels broken, there's a certain uniqueness to his glide) Ray also can't kill enemies with his fists while gliding like Knuckles can. And he has no spindash. :O

Keep up the good stuff, PSI! I always talk with SMS how fun your hacks are. And Gamma will be a blast to play if you can get his projectiles to work.

12. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    That is the same Ray hack I was referring to. The one best thing about the hack is that the art is well done.

About projectiles and the possibility of Gamma... for a Nack/Fang hack I wonder if it would be a good idea to give him his pop gun or not. He never had it in his 2D appearance on Game Gear but they did originally have plans for it to appear. I would think Nack needs to come before Gamma because he is already 2D.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Even if his gun doesn't appear in Triple Trouble, it was later made part of his character, so it would make sense to make it usable.

You might want to look at his Sonic The Fighters animations for reference when making this hack, since he doesn't do much stuff in STT.

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The whole point is that it's the character playing Sonic 1 'as is'. Changing too much would derive from this. I do see your point, Mighty isn't the most innovative character but people asked for it so here he is.

A fair idea but I'd still need to figure out how to replicate something like that like you said.

A classic style one. Here's a sample I uploaded in a previous thread. I sadly haven't made much progress due to work on other projects (and the fact my laptop with some of work has broken) though intend to get there slowly but surely.

[​IMG]

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    E-122-Psi you're half way there with those Cream sprites so if you get cracking you will have another hack done with the best custom Cream sprites for the classics.

Also I really think you should consider looking at modifying the 32X port of Sonic 1 and combine all your characters into one monster hack with the correct colours for everything. I'm sure many would help you out with the 32X programming if you really need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.