don't click here

Mighty In Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx for the vid and looking forward to the Charmy ones. :D

This, these are proof in concept hacks they are there to show how a character would work in alternate game series (Chaotix hacks) or to test out newly created gameplay styles (Sally, in time). Plus it's there if people want to play a game 'as is' with a new character (hense why the Mighty hack was made, since the previous one had layout and control changes).

I admit I could be making more out of these though, at the very least I should be trying a different game at times (might try Sonic 3 if the dissassemblies get more complete). Especially since other great character hackers like Felicia Val seem to be getting wary of using this concept because of my constant usage. I should be more diverse, it's just I'm more interested in working with the characters.

Thinking about making use of one of these for an actual level hack in the future. If I finish off the Cream sprites I might make a unique hack with the Amy in Sonic 2 coding (a 'Girl Power' hack perhaps ;D). Also thought about making a Sally game in the vien of Sonic and Knuckles where selecting her or Sonic gives alterate routes and strategies.

2. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
    E-122, you got some talent.

Your 'XX in Sonic 1' hacks got to be really interesting and fun, specially the Amy Rose hack and this one. You're really awesome at art designs (your spritesheets are really cool) and I see you don't have bigger problems with coding. If you keep progresing you will do even bigger things in a near future.

Keep up the good work and you will do great things!

Also I love how you didn't have to change the pallet at all to fit Mighty in.

3. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I suggest Psi to make a simple "Proof-of-concept: X in Sonic 1" thread for all these wonderful, but topic-filling, hacks, myself. Maybe make it a full-fledged personal project.

4. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I wanted to do this before, but had some problems getting started. It might not be too hard to actually do it now since half of the characters are accounted for.

5. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I'm enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would, so great job E-122-Psi.
    I don't know if you are aware, but Mighty can't wall jump from object 44 (The GHZ wall object) at all. I've tried all of them in GHZ1 and he won't grab.
    I'm also unaware if you are taking suggestions, but I'll put them out here anyway;
    1. Mighty doesn't seem to hold onto the wall long enough and falls quickly, sometimes without much time for me to jump from the wall. Maybe increase the ammount of time he stays on the wall?
    2. This is just a personal preference, but would it be possible for the wall jump to work like in Chaotix? Where as long as you are holding a jump button, you stay attached to the wall? I'm so used to the Chaotix method that this puts me off sometimes.
    I don't mean to sound so negative, but like I said, I am enjoying the hack, so kudos.

6. dsrb

dsrb

Just to let you know, the GHZ issue has been discussed in the topic for Mercury's wall jump code (used in this hack).

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx.

*Well as said the wall jump problem is being discussed in the source code's thread. And while I've managed to edit particular parts of the wall jump such as controls I still don't know where the actual timer is so can't edit it.

I also wanted to edit it so you can let go of the directional button while clinging to a wall like in Chaotix however without it is possible to 'float' off the wall due to the character not being fastened there. Anyone know how to get round this?

By the way here is the alternate version using Aquaslash's and Cinossu's sprite sheet:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xegal8

8. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I very much love the novelty of this hack, and all the other character hacks. Even if sometimes there aren't much differences it still gives a fresh new feel to the existing adventure. Will be interesting to see who comes next XP

9. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I added the alternate hack to the wiki, so what happened that you had to change the sprite color? I noticed motobugs have red heads now.

10. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I always thought Mighty could fit in Sonic's palette line hence why so many people used to use him as a additional character. Isn't Mighty's head using the same shades of red as his shoes?

11. REPO Man

REPO Man

I'm not. I just wish for a bit more variety.

Aside from adding new stuff to take advantage of each characters' abilties. For example, Vector can dash up, so why not add new hidden areas?

And when are we gonna get some really creative original characters? Like a character use can't jump but uses a grappling hook, a la Bionic Commando?

Yes.

Also, when Sonic 1 Megamix goes back into being worked on, maybe add all these characters?

Also, in the next Mighty in Sonic 1 revision, maybe add the ability to switch between the two different Mighty sprites, in lieu of two different versions?

Other than that, I liked what I saw.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I honestly like the Chaotix set much better than the custom one, not because the latter is bad, but because the former makes him look like something more than just a sprite edit of Sonic.

13. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

As said I made these hacks for the novelty of playing the original games 'as is' with a different character. I'll try a level edit one day but it won't be labelled 'in Sonic 1/2/whatever'. If I remember correctly the only big layout modification Knuckles in Sonic 2 had was an extra life in Chemical Plant, otherwise normal Sonic 2 with a new character, so I follow suit.

Try Charmy for a really different experience with Sonic 1 (can't jump only dash). I might try some really different game styles when I have the proper programming knowledge.

If I remember correctly wasn't Bunnie's gameplay in Sonic Mars meant to be Bionic Commando style grappling? Something to try if I ever figure out how to I guess.

14. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Regardless of what the haters say, I've always liked Mighty a lot so I find this pretty cool.

The title screen is adorable (I wasn't expecting him to wiggle his ears, but when he did, I laughed out loud. Somehow it works).

I'm not sure I really like the way the wall jump works, though - I guess I might get used to it. It's pretty weird to have him jump away when the button is released... it's not that intuitive but then I haven't played Chaotix in a while so I was basing my wall jump more on the way it works in other games, like Metroid or Mario.

Actually, he did fiddle with the reds a bit, and it makes some things look a little more pinkish than usual.

15. dsrb

dsrb

Sonic Megamix is still in development. And I can't speak for its team, but I doubt anything like that will happen.

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I was trying to replicate the Chaotix wall jump which was release jump button. I had to change the D Pad to release the jump as well however, since not editing it causes Mighty to float off the wall when pressing in the opposite direction (any idea how to kept him held on the wall until he lets go of jump?).

I thought it worked slightly better since being able to cling just by holding forward can cause you to wall jump inadvertantly whenever you clash into a wall.

That might work, especially since a lot of my topics for older (but still running) projects have been deactivated. Let's keep the current active individual threads for discussion and I'll activate the thread the next time a new one is made (or an older one is updated).

Might be nice for talking about previous finished projects as well (eg. Knuckles or Tails in Sonic 1).

17. *Downloads & adds to collection of hacks done by E-122*

Another great job, keep up the

I'm in for the idea of an all girl team, espeically if applied in Sonic 3&K (I'm still eager to find out how Amy can work in that game, considering how much different it felt using her in the two previous hacks, more if Cream uses the same abilities as Tails like carrying her to place she can't reach as well as seeing both fighting eggman in Marble Garden Zone)

18. Clutchy

Clutchy

That One Insane Guy Member

Doin' a Let's Play of yet another great hack by you.

19. infinity

infinity

Could I suggest that E-102-Gamma to be put into the game? (judging by your name I bet it's been considered). Now that would be an interesting challenge, to implement his targeting and shooting (could be used for a more SA style sky chase modification too). Not sure if there's any half decent sprites for him too that would be appropriate for Sonic 1. Also Big the Cat with some rudimentary fishing method? And the levels end when you find froggy somewhere. Just interested to see some more usual artwork have to be done a bit of a coding skill test with the abilities.

Also I saw in someones MMF fangame they enabled 2 player multiplayer mode with the bars at the bottom to see who is furthest, would it be possible to recreate a tails style SA style level into the game. Sonic runs alongside a preset fast route and you gotta beat him with the bars at the bottom. Another sonicy little thing that could be coded for use in games.

Just some random thoughts and ideas anyways. Any new code for things like shooting could be useful for other fangames for sure as well. You'd have the tools to use the sonic engine to make a target based shooter or something, who knows. Just interesting possibilities with that code.

20. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say that's way beyond Psi's league. Hell, that's way beyond MY league!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.