don't click here

Let's Glitch Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Updated November 17th, 2009)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by GoldS, May 7, 2009.

1. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    I only knew about like.. two of those. You are a god among men, sir.

2. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    I think Carnival Night Zone might be the most glitch prone zone so far...

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. JDAdams

JDAdams

Awesome finds are awesome. Keep it coming. I'm sure I've fought the bosses with the wrong characters but that was probaby using debug :P

4. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    There's some great stuff in these.

Please tell me you're going to show how you can climb Knuckles all the way up the Icecap snowboard ramp (without debug) and then get the game 4 or 5 screens behind Knuckles when you run back down it? I've been meaning to do a video of this, actually, but my time is limited.

5. Insalubrious

Insalubrious

The Writing Writer Member
    I must say, these are spectacular. As a programmer, it's fun to try to figure out what might've happened to cause these, what subroutines (at least as far as I imagine them, not knowing the internals or even much about Genesis coding) were involved in all the glitches. I think the fact that this is fun probably makes me a terrible human being. But thank you even more! I'm no big fan of humanity anyway.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Nice stuff, though I use a different method of getting Sonic into Knuckles' area -- or perhaps more precisely do so from a different location.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Very nice work, keep at it! Awaiting more examples of Tails' treachery ;P

8. JDAdams

JDAdams

You can also break it by going super / hyper on the way down - why did they put 50 rings on there if it wasn't going to work?

9. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    Okay, it's become very obvious which zones were playtested well and which weren't. Carnival Night, Ice Cap, and Launch Base are probably all going to be two-part(!) videos.

Oh, and Marble Garden is up on viddler now.

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    You didn't include another way to get to Act 2's boss in Act 1, which I documented here. In fact, this was my first video ever, I created an account on Youtube just for this back in the day :]

Also, I don't know if you're going to cover also the 2P levels, but that same boss appears also in Endless Mine.

11. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    I did forget about that one, heh.

If you (or anyone else) finds glitches in zones I've already done that aren't in the video, just do a video response on youtube.

12. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
  13. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Awesome. So many things I didn't know were possible =D

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Hey, GoldS, back in the Marble Garden video, you went back to the top of the first hill. I noticed the background chunks were in the foreground plane, may I inquire as to why it's like that?

15. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Amazing. GoldS, you are awesome!

16. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Amazing. GoldS, you are awesome!

17. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    I don't have a technical explanation, but for whatever reason, when the level "loops", it starts putting odd blocks at the bottom of the level. This starts with the background blocks, then goes on to foreground stuff.

[​IMG]
    In this picture, the light blue line is where the level layout stops vertically, and the yellow line is where it starts looping back.

This isn't isolated to this zone. It happens in pretty much every level, which leads me to believe it's related to the way the level structures work in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

18. Interesting—the clammer gliding glitch---It happened in a build of S2R where knux would glide into a diagonally facing spring. I guess they forgot to fix that one side.

19. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    It'll be a while before I get to this video, but...

[​IMG]

20. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    One glitch that I found interesting is in Sonic 3 alone (fixed for Sonic 3 & Knuckles).

In Carnival Night 1, even if you're Sonic by himself (provable by how Tails acts when starting the stage), you can get him to join you for Act 2.