don't click here

I made s documentary film about Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Phugolz, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    I don't know what I find more hilarious. This joke video or the complete dumbasses that actually agree with his points and take them seriously. I think the criers in the comments have more common sense. :v:

2. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Rather than some third party telling us that it wasn't serious, I think the video speaks for itself- a trollish and humerous take on partially credible opinions/facts. Thus, due to the nature of some statements the video made, we can at least gather that it is at least somewhat serious in content. Do I think that Phugz hates the 3D games? Fuck yeah I do. Hate is hate, even if it's sugar coated with one liners and funny clips.

3. The Government

The Government

la belle dame sans fucks Member
    but what kind of sane person wouldn't hate the 3D sonic titles with a burning pas—ahahahaha whooops forgot where I was posting for a second there.

4. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I'd have liked Generations more personally if it had no 2D gameplay for Modern Sonic. I think SEGA should make more 2D games, but leave it to Classic Sonic. It simply fits him better.

5. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Sonic Team and Dimps have proved that they have no fucking clue how to make a classic styled Sonic game. This is why we have shit like Sonic 4.

6. Volpino

Volpino

The thing that I like about your comment the most is that it sounds like something I would say, except replace "3D games" with "classic games and AoStH" and you have a statement I would make. :V

Every time I wanted to get mad at this guy for bashing something that I liked (and there was quite a lot of that given that literally everyone on Retro hates my opinion of everything) and one of those trollfaces photoshopped to look like Sonic popped up, I laughed so god damn hard. Because the truth is that, if the shit that he was saying came out of someone's mouth and they were actually serious, well, that's the kind of Sonic fan that I hate, so to me, it was like he was taking a big lumpy shit on all those crazy-ass nostalgia-obsessed classicfag elitists that need a good punch in the eye, in my opinion. It's like he pulled that video right off the shit that runs out of people's mouths on Sonic boards or something. He's an expert at being full of shit for shits and giggles, in my opinion.

7. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Funny thing about web communities. Sometimes they stick together past the relevance of the topic they met over originally in their lives.

8. Machenstein

Machenstein

I should've rephrased my question. Why continue to give Sonic anymore acknowledgement if you want to wash your hands of the series? Is it bitterness? Or is it because we remember how much promise the series had in the early 90's, just for it all to go to shit shortly after?

The documentary depresses me, but not simply because most of it is true. It's because it proves that it's too late for Sega to appease us Generation X-ers and Y-ers. We've seen too much, things that Generation Z-ers should never have to experience. We've become perpetually jaded after everything that's happened, between the shoddy spin-offs and ports, the cancellation of Sonic X-Treme, the direction the series took after Sonic Adventure, that embarrassing Sonic X anime, Shadow packing heat, Sonic 2006, the Storybook games, Sonic becoming a werewolf, Dimps butchering Sonic 4 and the countless shitstorms that followed. The Sonic fans of Generation Z have the fortune of not going through all the crap we went through and that's why there's still hope for them.

It's too late for us though. We only got to experience four or five years of classic Sonic bliss, just for that to be followed by several years of disappointment. Our honeymoon with the franchise ended a long time ago and we might never get another one again. But at least Generation Z has a chance with Sonic Colors, Generations and whatever might follow.

9. Impish

Impish

Quoted for truth. Check out the member's lounge, or even general gaming. I know 90% of my posts aren't about Sonic.

10. Volpino

Volpino

No, most of it is his opinion, some of it is factual, but not "most" of it.

11. Machenstein

Machenstein

I'm sorry, I really suck with words today. I only said most of it was true because I agree with most of his opinions on the Sonic franchise. It all really could've turned out much better than it did. That's not to say I'm nearly as cynical about the matter, I just wish it could've turned out much differently.

12. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    I enjoyed the whole documentary from beginning to end. I really ROFLMAO at the music that was played when Naka's head was pasted to a baby (29:22). What's that music called?

13. Volpino

Volpino

I got the feeling he was trolling when he didn't even mention Tails Adventures on the GameGear, which a lot of people consider a gem of the console and is probably the only Sonic game with a level setup remotely close to what I'd like to see, and when he basically threw "Sonic isn't in this game" out as a reason to bash Chaotix. Chaotix isn't great, and he had plenty of other reasons to not like it, but I guess hating on spinoffs that star other characters besides the main one is great trollbait. Either he just wanted to beat the "Sonic's shitty friends" horse again for shits and giggles or he's the kind of person that didn't like Luigi's Mansion or Yoshi's Island. In fact, a lot of his reasons for bitching are complete crack. I mean, even though I love Sonic Adventure, I can agree it's buggy and graphically inferior (Well it was originally being developed for the Saturn) but his hangup on the voice acting was just stupid. Of all the things wrong with SA1, the thing that sticks out is the voice acting, which isn't nearly as bad as the voice acting in Heroes or '06. And how does the partner gimmick in Advance 3 NOT effect gameplay? It's as if he'd never pressed the R button, let alone gotten all the emeralds considering you need certain abilities to pass through some areas, and even if he didn't, characters had different abilities based on who followed them. You cannot be stupid enough to not notice that. And 3D Blast? That was clearly meant o piss off anyone who knows its release date. I did not even see any descriptive reason for not liking it, which was amazing considering how many people bitch about having to find all the flickies in the levels (A mechanic that I actually like, go figure) so I'm pretty sure he was counting on anyone with some kind of thing about which console a game came out first on.

Also, being that it's me talking and everyone will probably cringe at this so heads up, what's his hangup with Tails again? That was only explained in Sonic 2, but not any of the 8-bit games, which he doesn't follow you in or steal your air bubbles. He reminds me of the people who bitch just because they don't like kids or something. Ironically, he had no problem playing as Knuckles, which kind of kills any assumption it's for game-related reasons. Did I mention the stuff with Amy? I think he just likes to piss off fans of individual characters, especially now when Tails will be in episode 2, something people were counting on when episode 1 was new, even though SEGA completely botched that as usual.

14. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    If only I had a dollar for every "Why the fuck am I still here?" comment in the Oldbie Lounge.

Overlord put it nicely:
    (And yes, Machenstien, I have read your rephrasing. Just re emphasizing.)

Tails first came off as a lame version of Sonic. Back when I was in second grade when Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was still relatively new, my friends and I used to joke that Tails was a curse placed on Sonic from which he could not escape, and that is why he is running all the time. I second the notion that the best part about having him around is simply seeing him die so often, as in that one he didn't even have the ability to fly when a player used him. It was just an excuse to keep the little pest coming back.

That said, while the little mistake has become so ingraned in Sonic lore that people whine when he isn't present, I have to equally echo that sentiment. Fuck Tails.

Also, I keep seeing people refer to this as a troll. While parts of it, like Sonic Genesis, were obvious sarcasm with visual aide to directly contradict the words being said, this is a definite humorous rant, and not a troll. This mostly echos the sentiments of people who have grown up with the little blue hedgie from the beginning. Being polite, the direction taken by the franchise has strongly deviated from what people originally fell in love with, and not just in gameplay. Style as well, and Tails is generally looked at as part of the problem when it comes to having too many worthless characters, because he is the first one. The tagalong kid who can't hack it is not an appealing character.

15. Volpino

Volpino

See, you're the type of person that I laughed at because of this video. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard, and the stupidest thing that I have been hearing from people for ages. (Also lol oldbie tag.)

Apparently you didn't play Sonic 3, didn't play the 8-bit games, didn't play Tails Adventures (Which is fantastic, by the way), and generally are hung up on ONE GAME. That is not any better than how people are still hung up on '06 (Especially now that we have Sonic 4 to be hung up on.) You don't acknowledge that now, he is generally a character that adds a different style of gameplay for some people (Like me, for example) and that he actually has abilities of his own.

Okay fine, some people don't like his abilities, I guess flying isn't fashionable or something, but that does not make him a bad character, he's contributed a lot of meaningful things to the games, and I'm tired of seeing a bunch of oldfags shit on his addition as if it fucking broke something. I'll echo the same sentiment I give to everyone that spews this bullshit seriously; Fuck you.

Edit: That sentiment goes for the whole Sonic cycle bullshit and everyone who believes the "Sonic's shitty friends" trope. Adding new characters is NOT in and of itself a bad thing, and quite frankly, a lot of them have potential, if you don't like them in your Sonic game about holding one direction to win and occasionally jumping, then I think they'd do equally well in their own spinoff games. As Tails proves. I actually think Silver's abilities were interesting, the problem with Silver wasn't his concept, it was that his power is based around manipulating physics in a game with incredibly broken physics. He doesn't suck just because, he was just added in a game that made EVERYONE suck. Rouge is the same way, she has a lot of potential to be more than a Knuckles clone but look at the way she was introduced to the series. The same goes for Blaze, a character who I think could have an interesting story if she were handled properly. Even the chao have potential if they were in their own game. It's just plain stupid to blame the terrible ideas on "Sonic's shitty friendsTM" without even paying any god damn attention to their potential.

But mos t of the people that agree with this video are oldbies so whatever.

16. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    If that is the stupidest thing you have ever heard, you clearly don't read your own posts.

17. Volpino

Volpino

Nice to see my time and effort is wasted on idiots that can't even come up with an intelligent reply.

You can hate playing as other characters all you want, but I like it, Sonic's been about variety in character selection since Sonic 3, or is that currently thrown into the "cancer that's killing Sonic" trope along with Heroes and Adventure? Is it no longer "proper" or "acceptable" to like Sonic 3, which did a great job of character variety, even for Sonic, or are you just ignoring it on purpose, along with an entire slew of other games outside the franchise that all have elements from it, and vice versa, for whatever reason?

The people that think Sonic 1 and CD are the best way to go; do you play anything besides Sonic? Have you watched the 2D and 3D platformers evolve (Assuming the 3D ones aren't too slow and confusing for you) over the period that was the 90s? I'm assuming a lot of you are older than I am, so surely you would remember the advent of the 5th generation a lot better? Do you ever even ask yourselves about Sonic in relation to everything else, or is your opinion always based on the old gameplay of Sonic 1/2/CD and nothing else, ever?

18. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Look, c'mon, fucking hell. Chill out. I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular, but please, less of the fucking vulgar language directed at other members and more getting along.

At the end of the day, if you hate Tails then fair enough, but I think he was a nice addition to the series, which wasn't even a series at the time of his entry. Tails has been around since forever and to say he damaged or devalued gameplay in any way is silly. No one moans that Luigi fucked Mario up- he's just another character, and I honestly do not believe that there is anyone who played Sonic 1, then set their mind to it that there could ONLY ever be Sonic as a character. Everything was gravy up until Sonic Riders, when even I felt that there were too many spotlight characters and not enough focus on primarily Sonic, then Tails and sometimes Knuckles.

Luckily though, it ended there- we got Sonic and the Secret Rings, Unleashed, Colours, Generations and Sonic 4 with JUST Sonic alone. The actual issue doesn't even seem to be the amount of characters anyway, it just seems to be that they all seem to know Sonic personally when he's had little interaction with a lot of them, and that they either go all out crazy with them or not at all, as they have done recently.

Anyway, I don't really know where I'm going with that again, but whatever.

19. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    You just insulted the time I took to reply, ignored all of my points, and told me to go fuck myself. Give me one good reason why anyone would even bother with a well thought out reply to that fangirlish nonsense you spouted.

20. Volpino

Volpino

Oh, I spout nonsense. Excuse me, Mr "I hate characters for redundant reasons" but anyway, I will oblige and address one point of yours directly. If adding Tails is a curse on the series, do you feel the same way about him in Sonic 3 when he had his own ability, an impact on co-op, and a super form when the carts were locked together? Do you feel that way about Chaos or Triple Trouble when he and Sonic both had unique points to their gameplay, and do you feel that his spinoff game for the GameGear does not merit at least a fair amount of credit for the thought that went into making a puzzle platformer that utilized his specific strengths?

I will also oblige the request to not use foul language against the general opinion, but I have heard this so many times and repeated the same thing to people and it does get old.

And by "redundant" I mean "Fixed in Sonic 3"