don't click here

I made s documentary film about Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Phugolz, Mar 26, 2012.

1. I think I generally overall had this opinion, although when there was actual jokemaking (the long "NO" montage, and the stuff said about Yuji Naka and Berine Stolar that was dead-on), I chuckled a bit. I think more focus needed to be put on how the sucky games were usually the result of inner-business drama at SEGA, or how SEGA jumped the shark for years since the Sammy buyout, or, you know, generally feeling like the person talking shit about Sonic games has researched, well-thought-out trolling going on here that's difficult to brush aside because it's true and hard to defend against.

The most disappointing aspect for me was how the Dreamcast scene was set up like it was gonna really rip on the Dreamcast fans with inconvenient-yet-truthful cons about the Dreamcast... but then just said some BS about processor speeds (in a console era where RAM and GPU factored in more) and then went right back to trolling Sonic fans.
    As a Dreamcast fan, I was expecting to have the feeling that my soul was ripped apart by the truth, but all I got from that was "Jeez, were the Sonic games the ONLY ones you played on that platform?"
    You could have been able to cite all the -real- flaws of the Dreamcast - and all the sucky games the Dreamcast had - in less time than it took for you to build that scene up and then have it end anticlimatically.

2. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Could you turn your 'Sonic isn't a furry!!!' and 'Anyone who draws fanart (except my girlfriend) is an idiot!!!' articles into educational videos too?

Or do a Wetflame documentary.

There is no need to stop this burgeoning film career here.

3. Machenstein

Machenstein

If that's how you really feel about the Sonic series, why are you still here? I'm not just addressing Phugolz either. I know the Sonic series has had more bad games than good ones, but why let that affect your enjoyment of the series? To me, a shitty Sonic game is just a shitty Sonic game. It's not "another crushing blow for the Sonic series" (again, not quoting Phogolz here, just people who think this way) or something equally as hyperbolic. The Sonic Labyrinths, Shadow the Hedgehogs and the Sonic 2006's of the series are no more relevant to me than the Mario Early Years, Mario's FUNdamentals and Hotel Mario's of the Mario series. But if you want to go around marking every bad Sonic game ever made on a clipboard to justify your hatred of a video game character, that's not really any of my business.

As least this mockumentary wasn't completely negative. In fact, Phugolz seems to have roughly the same evaluation of the games as I do. That being the 2D games are generally good (Sonic 1-3&K, CD, Advance 1) with almost everything else being crap. I even kinda like Sonic R, but his praise for that game could just be sarcasm, which is understandable.

4. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Best thing related to Sonic that I've seen in a while, because it was all true. It also made me seriously realise that as much as I love SEGA, that love isn't deserved. SEGA really is a company of assholes and has been for a long time.

5. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Just watched it. I agreed with a lot of stuff right up to when you started on about Sonic Adventure and everything since. The rest of it was a subpar load of shit regarding 3D stuff. You're a funny guy though, your voice doesn't sound dull and it kept my attention. You say funny stuff and it makes me smile. To even get me to watch 5 minutes to me is just damn impressive. I watched the whole 1 hour and 5 minutes! I barely watch films for that long.

You also called Sonic Genesis (GBA) a decent effort. Seriously, what the fuck? I know you said you were smoking/drinking, and this was an hour long so it may have been an oversight, but what the actual fuck?

Your view is also extremely bias from an outsiders point of view. Your whole documentary is written as though it was faithfully viewing the Sonic franchise from the very beginning all the way to the end like some closed end tale, yet the perspective is obviously from someone who only seems to like 2D Sonic games, and who has the ability of obvious hindsight. What was bad at the time seemed to be good then, like many things, and you can't simply deem it shit just because it's no longer relevant. You tapped in to issues of quality by deeming games like Sonic Spinball shit, and saying that the cartoons were horrible (SatAM was, I agree) and generally damaged the franchise, but really without them who knows where Sonic would have gotten to in the 90's over in the west?
    As a franchise, having simply Sonic 1, CD, 2, 3 & K would not have been enough to generate interest as much as it did. Of course it would have helped continuity both in game and in the public eye by omitting the many 'origin' stories, exra lame characters, voice acting, and shitty dark locations not fit for Sonic, but both of those issues have already been rectified with Sonic Adventure, entirely cutting off the western dramatization and linking the new with the old. Sonic Adventure is as 'Sonic' as it gets- we'd only really seen 5 main games previously, so we didn't have much to judge on. The games that haven't been very Sonic-like were Riders and Sonic 2006, and both of those never really took off the ground at all. Sonic isn't the only series confined to having shit games marring its reputation, with even Mario having some crap. I can't really say I like Super Mario Bros 2 (US), or the party games, or the SuperStar games, or the many sports games and spin offs outside of the main franchise (excluding Mario Kart).

Also, surely I'm not the only one who woulda given Colours an 8.5 and Generations a 9? Those games were great and expanded and refined the 3D gameplay whislt giving us the old awesome 2D stuff back, with shit tonnes of extras and replay value.
    All in all it was a good effort, but I can't say I really agreed hands down that the 3D is all shit and that we shouldn't or can't have spin off stuff. It's just that the spin off stuff NEEDS to be fun or good. Barring the fishing, I really enjoyed the rest of it during what Generations calls the Dreamcast era. If anything, it was the difficulty which pissed me to fuck. 180 emblems with a shit load of crap to do it? Bullcrap.

Edit: you also missed Chronicles, and I would have gladly had you rip that to pieces. That game was an attempt at something. I'm not sure what, but it definitely was. And it failed.

6. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Yikes. O_O Frankly, I wouldn't worry about fans like these. Give them a few years and they'll grow out of it. I know I grew out of my stupid Sonic/X-Files crossover fanfiction ideas with my own fan character, so hopefully they'll wise up a bit too. Unless they're like that Chris-chan guy...

Like I said in the other topic, not a bad movie at all. Only complaint I have is that I could've done without the MJ joke you sneaked in there, but knowing you I guess I should've seen it coming. >.> The rest of it was funny and quite informative, like I didn't know about the thing with Yuji Naka pretty much killing Sonic X-Treme. Or maybe I did know that already and forgot. :P

7. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I enjoyed the video for the most part but like a lot of people said, the later half felt a lot more half assed, lack of explanation for certain games,and some of the trolling about the quality of certain games might not have been a great idea for accuracy sake. I also wonder why Tails Adventure wasn't mentioned at all and I was shocked you liked Sonic R. On the plus side, I did learn some interesting facts, some moments were pretty funny, and it put some things into perspective I never really thought of before.

8. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I won't let the sun go down on me
    I won't let the sun go down

Watching now...

9. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    Aside from the Chaotix and Sonic 06 parts, I didn't find it funny. I could have done without the the immature humor.

Good job trolling though.

10. As I said to you already man, the documentary is fantastic. And the comments / views of Gov remind me of the golden days of Sonic CulT. It seems that if the website was to return to a "modern" fan-base that's about today, this would be the introduction page instead of Sonic Wars.

11. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    This obviously wasn't meant to be taken completely seriously. And I get that. However, I do feel like you intended at least SOME of it to be taken as such. Like the way you talked about legit things with Sega and their absurd business practices and how much of a douche nozzle Naka was/is. And I really enjoyed that segment. But... after the 90s you basically just devolved into 'Durrr Sonic sucks because it does' and baiting fanboys into rage. Half way through the video I already knew exactly what you were going to say for each game and how you would joke about it. Overall the writing wasn't very good and I only really laughed at a few things.

Your "assessments" of some games left me scratching my head. For example: What was the hate with Chaotix? It's not a great game mind, but it didn't deserve the NOOOO montage. You didn't even bother including actual gameplay or explaining why it's so horrible, even in passing. You then later turned around and did that for Sonic 06, a decidedly much WORSE game. :psyduck: Which was also the SA3 joke you should have made, too. Heroes was nothing like Adventure when 06 clearly was trying it's damnest to be one. Would have fit much better.

Now, obviously, there seemed to be some troll bait in there but honestly- I've seen you post here on Retro before and I know for a fact at least SOME of that video was you being serious. Which, again, would be fine if you bothered to explain WHY more of the games were bad. Just something more than 'This is shit' and moving on to the next title would have been nicer, I believe. Especially if you're going to glaze over a game like Generations and call it anything less than a good game. I like Generations as much as the next guy but it is by no means perfect and I could rip it to shreds if I wanted to get critical. Which is what you should have done instead of hand waving it entirely like most games you mentioned.

Overall it seemed like you were trying to emulate the Harry S. Plinkett reviews from Red Letter Media in the way the video is put together and the way you read the commentary in a dry and somewhat disgruntled manner. Not a bad thing, but I feel like that only carried you so far. The great thing about Plinkett reviews is that they're usually a well balanced mix of serious reviewing and silly bathroom humor. Which is what you tried, but you went too heavy on the humor and not enough actual review. I can find and watch any old youtube video with a nerd ranting on and on about how a game sucks without stating his reasons why he thinks so. They're just not very funny. More substance with your name calling makes for a more entertaining and interesting video.

Now don't get me misunderstood here: I'm not upset at anything you said (I think we've all become desensitized to hating on Sonic games by now right?) and hell, I even agreed with some things you ranted about. But for the most part you just droned on and on about how bad Sonic sucks without really...saying anything. If you're going to tear a series a new asshole, you can't do it half way, you need to expand upon 'Hurr Sonic is shit'. Basically what you need to take from this (if you are at all, that is) is take more time on your writing. Work on your humor, your delivery, and most importantly fine tune your editing and timing. If this was meant to be taken at least somewhat seriously, you should treat it as such.

12. Nova

Nova

Well, I'm sure there wasn't any sarcasm involved at all. :v:

13. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

To be fair, I did really review that bit a few times, and there literally wasn't any sarcasm involved at all. :v: If you're going to be sarcastic, then you have to put emphasis on that you're being sarcastic. Otherwise it's not so much sarcasm as opinion or fact. Sarcasm in itself is meant to be obvious, even funny, whereas the video just said "Sonic GBA was a good effort, but these other two fucks weren't". I assumed that he was either looking at the wrong game, he forgot that it was shit and just based it on the original, or he was drunk/stoned.

Regardless, everyone knows Sonic GBA was crap. Even as a Sonic game I've never seen anyone defend it. It's undefendable, which is why I raised that point. It couldn't have seemed less sarcastic, more of a mistake.

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    The documentary itself was funny and informational, but I'm more loving the crying in the comments.

Holy crap, Sonic fans, you're only validating what you're hating by being such... babies. Learn to laugh at yourselves and, hell, being a fan doesn't mean you have to LIKE everything. Now you're just being irrational.

15. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    I love this. Thank you.

16. Nova

Nova

Sarcasm doesn't neccessarily have to involve said emphasis, particularly when the target audience for the video knows how terrible that game is already and is probably familiar with Phugolz' sense of humour.
    Besides which, I don't think anyone could find Sonic Genesis fun even if they were intoxicated. :v:

17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    This.

I find it absolutely comical at how serious people are taking this video! You HAVE to equate this to a feature length "Meow Mix Zone." It's implied from the beginning that it's supposed to be one big joke!

18. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Who's taking it majorly seriously other than that spaz from Youtube? :psyduck:

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    You should see the fans defending Sonic 2006 in the comments of the Sonic is a bad game video. :P

Anyway, I liked the documentary even though I didn't agree with everything you said, though at times it was hard to know if you were sarcastic or not.

20. Yeah, there's so few people actually being trolled now that it's kinda sad. It's almost like being degraded from hipsters who pride themselves in being anti-mainstream and pissing everyone off to being mere schoolyard bullies who pick on the retarded kids because no one else gives a shit.

You can literally get more trolling done just by posting a video of the Japanese Dragon Ball Z with Bruce Faulconer's English Dub music plastered over it and titling it "SUPERIOR MUSIC ON JAPANESE DBZ rofls".