don't click here

Hai guys. I Sonic Generationed.

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Polygon Jim, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    You don't have to move rails at all.

2. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Well, I can sort of see where they're coming from with M. Sonic being better in the classic levels, because Sonic got plenty of Side-Scrolling bits in Unleashed and Colors. However, C. Sonic in Modernland is pretty much as SP describes it - Final Fantasy 13 running down hallways.

Granted that's what Sonic Unleashed did but that was fun.

Don't get me wrong though, pretty good hacking here, but eh.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Because Sonic Adventure did third-person views without boosts too... and if you added the homing attack it would effectively be Sonic Adventure... or something. Nostaliga I guess. And I'd argue that it's less boring since you now have to think about motobugs rather than just running straight past them

But classic doesn't isn't designed to work in modern and modern isn't designed to work in classic. It's just fun that despite the game being broken into two, they're both play almost exactly the same and can pretty much complete each others' levels.

4. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Oh wow. I did this too! But Jimmy beat me to it. =P

I was only able to record the footage yesterday, because my ISP upload capabilities and speed sucks.

Just so my efforts on uploading the video don't go to waste, here it is:

Jimmy is doing a pretty good job discovering new stuff in the game, so I'll cease my research and focus on other projects (my fan game, for example).

5. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Of course there are problems because its a simple hack but I guess I'm looking at potential as well as what's in front of me. The boost for example makes a lot of sense to me given the current design of classic GHZ with those long press left runs boost gives you SOMETHING to do.

As for classic in Moderns level, he seems slower than Modern Sonic and his jump is better. Over all the handle of classic Sonic in 3D looks a lot closer to the way I think Sonic should handle. It looks as if these controls would work well for some slower placed 3D platforming. There's still huge level design problems as I said in my first post. But as I said in this post, potential.

6. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    You can't. And you never will. Forget it.

I mean, you can "repack" everything, but you can't play it on a retail console. The container is signed as Dev LIVE (or Dev PIRS), and can only work in a DevBox, a Review Unit or in a JTAGged 360. And no, you can't sign as Retail LIVE or PIRS, becuase no one knows the Private Keys other than Microsoft.

I though this information has been made clear as water back in the beginning 2010, with all the stuff about Sonic 4.

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Implement Super Sonic *runs*

8. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Oh, don't give me that. This new Green Hill is no more guilty of that than the old one, and if you really need "something to do" so badly because you're just too impatient to wait the few seconds it'd take you to get to the next jump or badnik, this one has the freaking Spin Dash for that.

But seriously, the high route involves jumping around on collapsing platforms, and the low route involves a lot of slow platforming. What are you smoking, sir? The only level segment that's guilty of the sort of hold-right-to-do-nothing gameplay you refer to is the double-loop-plus-corkscrew at the very end, and I'd like to remind you that Emerald Hill pulled very similar shit.

9. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I have to say, SP is quite right on this matter. I don't see anything wrong with the level design in classic's GHZ.

10. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Let a tannish-white Cuban explain:

It's nice to see Sonic move in a 3D environment in such a way where he isn't going so fast that he can only move forward. He's slower, sure, but that's nothing a pop-off or raising of the speed cap can't fix. Also speed shoes and a functional spindash. The point is Sonic doesn't need to move at Unleashed speeds in 3D to be fun or playable. He also doesn't need to be running down a handful of corridors all the time either. It's the Adventure 1 control with more refinement, which is nice. It's the start to a different kind of 3D Sonic game that incorporates a more comprehensive physics system in 3D that you can tap into with smooth, flawless control, and that's something I find interesting if not exciting. It opens up more of the 3D environment than the 3D gameplay of a game like Unleashed.

Going at 300 miles an hour is thrilling and fun, don't get me wrong. But being able to move at more than two speeds between a slow jog and a 300-mph sprint sounds much more satisfying for its freedom and larger range of variance in velocity. All it needs is some good 3D level design.

11. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    The level design is extremely simplistic, its just dressed up with nice graphics and a lot of background geometry. Can someone get a level map of GHZ from Generations? I'd very much like to do a side by side comparison with the original GHZ Acts.

12. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    So, uh, at what point in that video did we see "a different kind of 3D Sonic game that incorporates a more comprehensive physics system in 3D that you can tap into with smooth, flawless control?" All I saw was Classic Sonic running down a hallway. With a less floaty jump. There wasn't even a chance for the game to demonstrate any physics.

@ Overbound

That's fitting, because Green Hill is supposed to be a simplistic level. As it's the first.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'd be happy to have a few platforms up in the air that you can spin into if you jump correctly from a hill. Think Stardust Speedway 3.

Some say that Sonic Adventure's spindash was broken. It was overpowered, sure, but you definitely could do THAT in the game (in fact, I think Twinkle Park was designed around doing so -- as are a couple parts of Final Egg).

14. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    The first few seconds where Sonic isn't running in a straight line at 300 miles an hour. Not 200 or even 100 going up to 300. Just 300. I saw Sonic moving around freely in 3D without being preset to go at one or two given speeds with little variation in between.

It was a nice first impression. Like I said, all it needs is good level design.

15. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    It wasn't really so much overpowered as it was the fact it charged near instantly. It really didn't take you much faster than it did in the MD games =/

16. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Yes it is, but as I said it would be interesting to do a side by side comparison of the level maps because this feels extremely or too simplistic.

17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    The only part of the entire layout that I can say is truly stretched out a bit too long is probably the one area where the uphill incline wraps around near the beginning, followed by the diagonal spring. That's about it, though.

However can we really say this is the place for this argument? I thought this topic was for derping around with the Generations demo code.

18. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Awesome videos Jim! Classic Sonic in Modern level gave me chills and it was so adorable to see chubby Sonic in this way + the feet noise is just cute. My face was all the time with a biiiig smile. First video you showed got some Sega copyright crap on so I had to find other vids and gladly they still work. Keep up the cool work. Can't wait to see what other surprises you give us.

19. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Look again. Although it's already been superseded, but just sayin'.

Yeah, Modern looks like he actually plays really well in a Genesis-style 2D game. The handling looked good and the only problem I noticed was his sliding, which should just be a spin attack/dash anyways. If they develop future 2D Sonic games like that and get rid of the sliding, I don't think I'd have any objections as long as they don't derp on designing the stages with a homing attack and boost in mind a la DIMPs. That's part of the reason why I got sick of Modern Sonic's games and wanted a return of the Classic's overall design philosophy. More classic Genesis style levels, less Rush. The cuter Ohshima art-style Sonic is an unnecessary but welcome treat.

20. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Oshima-Sonic is there so people can play stages in the style of classic and Colors/Unleashed, a style some people actually seem to like, without having the same character automatically swap gameplay physics and go "wtf" at. :P

And this is very true. Sonic just needs inventive levels and him using the moveset he currently has, of course replacing slide with spindash, would make him have quite the games, to be honest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.