don't click here

Hai guys. I Sonic Generationed.

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Polygon Jim, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Yes- but when mapping the crouch/look up actions to the respective directions, wouldn't an exception need to be made for play in the 3D mode? I'd think that, given his controlset, Classic would be unable to progress because of that.

Unless of course the stick doesn't duck/look up, since it just occurred to me that I never even TRIED to play Classic with the stick. In which case hurr.

2. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

2.5d and 3D sections use different sets of code. Classic Sonic has 3D data still from modern Sonic, so he brakes when you hold back, and runs when you hold forward, and he does so with his slower, heavier variables.

3. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Ah, all right. Thanks for clearing that up.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sega fixes the 3D Spindash before release so they can stick 3D Classic stages in as DLC...

4. Couldn't you just use the button-enabled Spindash for the 3D sections and the down-A Spindash in the 2.5D sections? Couldn't that work with a wee bit of modification?

And also doesn't Classic Sonic have a "trick" he does when bouncing off multiple enemies? Could this be used in the Trick section of Modern's code to complete it?

5. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Y'know, this shows quite nicely why the homing attack was invented, as I came to realize watchin' this.

Quite surprising that since '06, the games seem less prone to crashing in general after character swaps. : B Makes me wonder if Unleashed would at all work with swapping Werehog and Hedgehog around…

6. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Funny that the level actually plays better that way than with classic sonic. Clearly Sonic Team just no longer knows how to build classic type level designs anymore.

7. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Someone should totally recreate the Generations level layout in Emerald Hill or something to see how well it plays.

8. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Failed less at playing.

Tomorrow I'll try and change some more things to show the rest of the stage.

9. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    So, what was different that time? Did you change the ramp's coding or did spindashing into it change something?

And for something else, I noticed that when you put G.Sonic into Classic's level, at 1:34 the side-springs you hit caused G.Sonic to go into his spindash animation, which usually happens when you hit a boostpad as G.Sonic.

This is me jumping to conclusions but could those side-springs be disguised boostpads? :psyduck:

10. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
    Ha, the way you played it just then made it look like Classic Sonic can really work in 3D. And I finally got to see that chase. :eng101:

I also see how the whole spin-dash into 3D thing works now. I can't wait to see future developments onto this.

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I noticed this too. If it hadn't taken place in the circle tunnel, how does the 3D spin-dash operate? Does it just go in a straight line in normal conditions, or do you have control of it; and if the latter, to what degree?

12. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

It's broken as shit and always goes left/right according to the stage x/y/z axis.

13. Tanks

Tanks

I'm half expecting a fusion of physics tomorrow, only because it can be done. I bet Classic Sonic's gameplay mixed with portions of Modern Sonic's physics might actually make the game a lot more fun.

14. SaviourDCX

SaviourDCX

Oldbie
    If anyone can figure out how to compile an extracted demo off a Xbox 360 USB flash drive back on to it then we can mess with the Xbox 360 version without needing a jtagged console. I've figured how to extract everything but putting it back on there is something I can't figure out. Need to make the demo as one file when you put it back on there.

15. SmashX5000

SmashX5000

Simply Smashing Member
    Below Canada
    I'm working on a cartoon based on the Genesis games called Sonic Boom.
    Classic Sonic might want to invest in some Soap shoes. That roll to grind method he has isn't gonna help forever.

In all seriousness, though, it is certainly interesting to see how differently Classic Sonic controls in the Generic level. Especially how slow he is in it, even though he can just blaze through his own level.

16. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Actually, that's how Modern's gameplay could be perfected. Adding in more momentum based platforming and more emphasis on exploration and the level layout rather than 'OOOHHH LOOK HOW FAST HE IS KIDS'. Been saying this for a while now, I wonder if Generations will bring something like that about with people getting a taste of Classic's gameplay? Heh, probably not, but oh well. A man can dream.

17. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Watching this makes me completely ok if modern/generic sonic dies in the end of this game. Classic sonic is perfectly fine with taking on both roles of game play.

18. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Wow classic Sonic in modern Sonic's level looks amazing. That's the closest thing to an official Sonic game that I've wanted to play since SA2. All that's left to do is build a better level layout. Who knows maybe sometime we'll see level hacks like that. I really hope so.

19. Ravi Singh

Ravi Singh

Los Angeles, CA
    The Snake Soup
    Insert ability to spindash.
    Insert fisheye lens.
    Sonic Xtreme.

20. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Define "better." Because to me it looked like half the layout failed to work as planned because Modern's physics were off. And his jump was floatier, so it looks less fun in that regard, too. And he couldn't even jump up through the goddamn platform to reach the high road. In fact, it just looked like it played like it did with Classic, except with fewer options and jerkier flow.

EDIT: And what's so goddamn amazing about the way Classic looks in Modern's level? Because all I'm seeing is Unleashed gameplay with no boost, which looks empty as fuck and boring as shit. It's literally Classic Sonic running down a hallway. Someone please explain to me the attraction, because the ignorant white boy just isn't seeing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.