don't click here

Graphics

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Man, the idea of stage-themed monitors and springs is awesome. We should use at least one of those - maybe the blue spring for the City Zone, you stand on it and it charges up for a while and then sends you flying. The brown spring and the one that lights up are pretty neat-looking as well. The Sonic sprites are also interesting, even though they are just an obvious hybrid of the S2 and S3 sprites.<!--quoteo(post=245035:date=Nov 13 2008, 04:57 PM:name=Witch Chao)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Witch Chao @ Nov 13 2008, 04:57 PM) [​IMG]

Perhaps something like that could be used for a cutscene?[/quote]That's actually kind of cool. Reminds me of Robotnik doing Sonic's classic finger-wave thing as a taunt - we should totally use that near the final boss. :v:

EDIT: Had a crack at animating it, but it might be too fast or something :( :
    [​IMG]

2. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    No pics to show off, but I do have a pretty good concept for the game. What if, metaphorically speaking, the main level concepts were the "Good Future" for the level. I'm not incorporating time travel into this, but, comparable to the good future in Sonic CD levels. What if you merged the "Good Future" (main concept for Tropical Zone/Canadian Zone) and the "Bad Future" (my idea for the metallic platforms floating in the higher sections of Tropical Zone/Highway Elements of Canadian Zone)? I think it could really add something unique to the gameplay, you know?

3. Retrogamer

Retrogamer

1996: Sonic flips the birdie. Member
    One of the reasons I joined here was to contribute to Sonic Retro, so why not submit a boss I sprited?

Well one of the more popular badniks in the Sonic franchise is the Buzz Bomber, a blue, robotic bee found in Green Hill Zone. Since we're going retro for this game, I got the idea today in Study Hall to make a giant Buzz Bomber machine for Robotnik!

[​IMG]

Right now, I only have the idle and movement sprited, but if you guys like it, I'll continue. As a bonus, I used the Robotnik sprite Phoebius made. I made another version of it with the S3&K Robotnik sprite.

So, what do you think?

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I think it's a good base, but we're going to need someone with a bit more pixel expertise to shape it out into something a bit more true to the original style. Very cool concept, though! :(

5. Witch Chao

Witch Chao

Now with 200% more Bullshit Member
    Super Sonic Drift
    Again, for those whom cannot veiw PNG on teh internetz
    [​IMG]

Some more for cutscene stuffs. The third frame is kindof just for lolz, but you can use it for comical effect, too.

You don't know if you're going to use Amy yet, are you? I don't care regardless, but she might be an interesting one to sprite.

I've also got a Boss Machine Idea in my head. I'll have to see if I can sprite it later.

6. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Ok, srsly, everyone can see a png on the net. It's only APGN people can't see. You don't need a second link every time.

7. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
  8. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Explorer is known to have issues showing PNGs with transparencies. Though these ones don't seem to have transparency...

9. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
    [​IMG]

10. Secret Bonus

Secret Bonus

I'm walking in snake piiiits, oooooOOOOooooh Member
    Oh that is great! I actually had the idea that the face would look more like the Orbinaut but that's still great!

11. Witch Chao

Witch Chao

Now with 200% more Bullshit Member
    Super Sonic Drift
    Sometimes my browser gives me image troubles, but I've got fucking Vista and IE, so who knows.

Those enemies do look rather nice. I think the Lava ones, however, shouldn't really be facing the screen, and they could probably be livened up with a small bit of animation, but they look good, too.

The Ice ones are fine facing the screen, since all they do is fall from the celling.

As for the Bee Edit, it looks better, but it still needs some more work. I might give it a shoot later.
    The most work is needed in the back. Altough it looks like the right shading style now, it still needs some smoothing out. The Tube could also use some touch ups. They're getting there though.

By the by, ignoring the comment from Ploygon about the links, what of 'Butnik?
    I think I'll get to work on Amy, but I'll only give her enough poses for a cameo/capture role, since it seems that if she IS included, that she'll either be a cameo role or that she'll be kidnapped by Robotnik and Metal Sonic.

12. Eddo

Eddo

Good job, RetroGamer! I've always had ideas for a Sonic game, but never the hacking talent. At that note, one of my bosses would be a big Motobug/Motora. I am slightly experienced with spriting (but not too muvh, as you can see by my avatar). So at that, I am making a big Motobug now. Hope you aren't mad I sort of took your idea.

13. Retrogamer

Retrogamer

Thanks! I would agree that it doesn't look "retro sonic" enough. The stinger portion was the most difficult to sprite, because I was making it the same height as the rest of the machine.

I do think that the edit looks better, and to the staff, feel free to tweak it anyway you like. Having my idea considered to be in the finished product is good enough. :thumbsup:

14. Eddo

Eddo

I think there should be a Fantasy-Zone esque boss rush with giant badniks, which would be a great place for your idea! :argh:

15. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

[​IMG]

I don't know, how it can harm sonic, yet.
    Any ideas?

16. Retrogamer

Retrogamer

17. Eddo

Eddo

Finished with the general shape, but I could shade it better. No idea where to put Eggman, though. =/
    Maybe the face could break off after 6 hits?

[​IMG]

18. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
  20. Eddo

Eddo

Any ways I could improve it? Is the pallette all right?