don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That new smile made him look dumb instead of cute. =(
    Original for comparison:
    [​IMG]

But anyway, let's wait for the stuff Vincent was talking about...

2. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I think in the new Ricky the eyes are too shaded and the cheeks look too fat. Otherwise, good.

3. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Okay, I feel like I'm finally on the home stretch for the chicken, but I don't really know. Anyway, I made some small-tweaks to the last 2 frames, then placeed them next to the front view frames (My, my, MY FRONT VIEW!!! Not Vincent's!) for a comparison to see if they are all consistent with each other.

[​IMG]

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Regarding the side frames:

The eyes shouldn't be connected to the beak, I think.

He has a too big forehead.

His body doesn't seem to have any defined shapes, and the wings look like crab claws...

5. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Well, it's about time! I just wish I was told all this before I got started on the shading. Oh well. I'll have it all done by the end of the day, hopefully.

EDIT: I hate it when I over-exaggerate...

[​IMG]

6. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Here's what stands out to me:

-The eyes go too far back and need to be made more narrow.
    -The wings need serious revision. The first curve in the wing on the second side frame of the chicken has to be moved up. Looks bizarre in its current state.
    -The head area immediately in front of the eye sticks out far too much. Pull it back.
    -Adjust the curve of the red area on top where it meets the head to be more aligned with the head's curvature.

7. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Alright, how's this then?

[​IMG]

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Better, but his body still has no defined shapes, with no discernable body and tail.

I was also going to post some suggestions about the feet, but I've just noticed that the second one of these official drawings is precisely an "HD" version of one of the walking frames:

[​IMG]
    You can also try shaping the wings more like in these drawings.

9. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Done. Hopefully I did what you were meaning with the body.

[​IMG]

10. Here's a concept image. Sorry about the background, but I didn't know where to get it from. I couldn't find it in the database.

[​IMG]

11. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    on the subject of... wait, no, check the WIP General Art :3
    On subject of the chicken: I especially got a problem with it's non-existing cheeks in the profile view.

12. zemulii

zemulii

Just made a quick (ish) mock up.

[​IMG]

(Hope my first APNG worked!)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I think some things work and some I kind of messed up... but I was just experimenting :).

I thought the comb seemed too heavy. The wing and feet didn't seem to match up to the front on frame. They are quite slim and defined in that one. Maybe that has something to do with perespective. Not sure... but they just seemed a bit off. Also the cheeks needed to come out a bit more. So these are just some ideas that may or may not help :).

My main problem is that the head and body were clearly separate in the front on frame, but in the side on frame you can't see any clear separation. I can see how it would be difficult (that's why I didn't bother trying to fix it!) what with the pose (ducked down, sort of hunched up). Maybe the head needs to be angled slightly differently? Or something :S. Or maybe it's the front on frames that need to be altered to match - make them a bit more chubby perhaps :D.

Oh, just noticed it also looks like his head gets smaller side on. Anyway, hope you can make something of all this.

Edit: I think maybe in the front on frame, his neck should be a bit wider, and his body a bit closer to his head. Which would also give space for slightly longer, slimmer legs. For the sake of consistency between both angles, and the official art. The split between the two parts of his wings seems a bit long as well, and they could also be fattened up just a bit a bit.

13. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    I've been wanting to be a part of this for a while, but I'm not quite as good at HD-ifying sprites as you guys. Oh well, here's a quick mockup of the eagle flicky.

[​IMG]

14. test-object

test-object

[​IMG]

Head is too small or the eyes are too big. You should also clean up the edges. Good work so far though.

[​IMG]

15. zemulii

zemulii

I'm just wondering about the chicken shading... is there any chance it could be a little less grey (just a tad)? I kind of like the slight purple/bluey grey in the official art (not to that extent though), and it looks just a bit dull to me. I don't know if that goes against the art style for the game or not. Just curious...

16. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Sorry, been out of it these past 6 days. Schoolwork's been piling up on me and such. In me free-time though, I have been trying out different things for the wings and feet and such, doing some referencing, and practicing the proper proportions. I want to be able to show that I actually put some time into Cucky and not half-assing it.

About the shading: I'll see what I can do regarding the color tomorrow after I try to put what I practiced into the current Cucky. I can't make any promises though.

17. zemulii

zemulii

Yeah that's just a thought, it might not work very well at all! Proportions are probably first priority. If anything maybe just lightening up some of the darker areas of grey could help.

Edit:

[​IMG]

I apologize for this... quite a radical change from before. I was just trying to match the official art a little more. Actually... I just thought I'd see what it looked like with a change of colour in the shading. But then I got a bit carried away and had a look at the image you posted and decided to have a bit of fun. What do you think? Better? Worse? Personally I think the colours do help a bit. I'm not totally sure what to do with the cheek. It's like if I move it too far back it will be hidden behind the wing and then he loses a bit of his character :(. He still looks a bit hunched up don't you think?

Oh and sorry Sonuw, I hope you don't mind my mock ups! I'm not trying to take over or anything. I'm kind of glad not to though, as I tried matching the front and side frames and it's much harder than I thought! My front on frame turned out horrible, so it's never going to be posted here :P.

Edit2: Oh I think maybe his body isn't circular enough side on? The tail may be too long...

Edit3 (I'm on an edit roll here):

[​IMG]

Is it ok to stretch it out vertically like this? I kind of feel like it needs it... The problems came when I tried to mock up the other frame in this style. The head looked totally fat and out of place and it was difficult to make a clear distinction between the head and the body. Does the HD version have to match the proportions of the sprite exactly?

18. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Nice!

Given your edit on the left has nice proportions, remember to add volume to the forehead bump, just as in the official artworks.
    Yes, you can overcome the original sprites boundaries for the size.

Keep it up! ;)

19. test-object

test-object

You know, the chicken head I posted is the exact shape it's supposed to be. I altered the official art a slight bit so it would turn out into profile. Just trace over the head and it's perfect.

20. zemulii

zemulii

Yeah I was trying to bring it closer to that. I didn't want to quite trace over it, I thought the forehead was maybe a little too pronounced there and it might look funny. I wanted to him to look a little "aerodynamic" :P. But I guess if you both think it needs it then maybe it does need a little more forehead! Good to hear that the size is open to interpretation.