don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    A few more changes to the chicken, with some more blood poured in.

[​IMG]

2. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    SWEET! Now just for the other two frames...

3. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Yes, the other 2 frames. I'm going to be working on the proportions for it while I try to finish up the shading on the front view. Here's what I have so far:

[​IMG]

Same as the first one: the current colors are only there for visual purposes. I will change them to the colors they need to be when I begin shading.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Feel free to improve it!

5. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    "Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." However, in the distance, I hear fan boy pitchforks getting readied.

[​IMG]

6. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

The shading in the squirrel's (I forget the name) eyes makes me think it's stoned or something, it just looks weird in unexplainable ways. Though the chicken's (that name too) eyes look perfect.

7. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Maybe you could just copy the shading effect of the chicken's eyes to the other animals? I assume they're basically using the same framework, and I think Sonuw's got the eyes' shading just right.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey, nice improvements.

But yes, there's something about the shading in his eyes. Perhaps making it more subtle?

9. test-object

test-object

10. Sorry for being a pest, but would it be possible for you to paste both old and new squirrels into a caption of EHZ? The difference between the two is great, it looks as though you took a burn brush to him, or used a contrast clarify effect. Both look good, but I can't decide which is better without seeing how well it jives in the game.

11. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Except that's not even my chicken if you're referring to what test-object put up. That's Vincent's 5-minute edit to basically show me how volume is supposed to be done. If you ARE referring to my chicken, then sorry I misread your post.

Anyway, made some edits to the next 2 frames of the chicken, and started on the shading. I'll show you guys what I got when I finish it.

12. test-object

test-object

You're not a pest, but TECHNICALLY I should post this in Concept :ssh:
    Anyway, round of applause to Sonic and the Chipmunks.

[​IMG]

13. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I think I might be the only one here. But I'm not keen on this new shading on the squirrel and the new shading on the chicken. They look plastic looking now. I didn't say anything straight away as they are still concepts. But to me they are starting to look like they are not going to fit the Sonic environments.

14. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Great job test-object! You have given that little thing that I don't know the name of (and never will) a nice tan!

I am not as strict as the other on the eyes shading subject. It should go too far from Sonic's sprite though.

Those animals are going to die so hard in Sonic 2 HD. I just can't keep quiet about it anymore :ohdear:
    And we are not just talking the turtles falling to certain death in Sky Chase. Sonic 2 was designed that way. Even CPU Tails die all the time.
    I am not going to be like the Dragonball Z English dub, lying about people's death, when you can clearly see them die in the photage.

15. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    The smile is so near invisible (and that is in a static none moving frame) that it I get the impression that the squirrel looks like it is about to throw up.
    If they were both in motion it might be a different story because its probably something that is only present in a static screen.

16. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Besides conceptual purposes, no need to update squirrel frames (name's Ricky), guys.

There is a reason He got removed from the Target art! ;)

17. [​IMG]

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the new Ricky... I think he does look better, but perhaps there is a tad too much contrast, in that the darkest shades of him are much darker than, say Sonic's darkest shades. The old Ricky looks too dull by contrast however. Is it possible to find a happy medium? Did Vincent mean that there will be no changes accepted for Ricky, meaning the "dull" version is the official version? Maybe the new guy is a bit plastic... :psyduck:

18. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    This page needs more chicken.

[​IMG]

19. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I'm not sure I'm happy about the shadow under the eyes, but it certainly looks good.

20. test-object

test-object

Eh, Vincent's idea and Iceknight's chipmunk. I just did the messaging.

The sake of consistency? You started it! :0
    Fine, this'll be the last >_>

[​IMG]