don't click here

"Dust Hill" meaning researched

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Sonic Hachelle-Bee, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    If Saxman is right with the SCD theory, then R2 could be Neo Green Hill Zone.

2. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Wetflame

Wetflame

You sort of ignored my 2 big points of proof, Quick Man =P Even if it's only to make it possible.

Also, I find this rather insulting to Brenda. Just because she slipped once doesn't mean she's entirely open to suggestion. Also, she said Dust Hill without being immediately cued(EDIT - I think I remember something. Dammit, Iceknighh, did you have to edit the logs just to prove your damn point!? That only confuses everyone further), so it was probably just a slip. Talk to Dust Hill Guy sometime, and use an emoticon; hje'l sue the same one back without thinking in his next sentence.

Also, she calls the Wood zone pic that was sent to her "Wood2.jpg" on her site, so she knew it was Wood Zone.

Also, Brenda appears to have designed the "Postcard" with Sonic and Santa playing Sonic 2 Beta?

EDIT - http://members.tripod.com/edge_x2/ - even Pach didn't go as far as to say Dust Hill Zone was never in the game =P There are one or two interesting things there, but still a bit nyeh.

4. Wetflame

Wetflame

Okay, actually dissecting the interview -

This is interesting, but I don't know what she means for certain. It's quite possible Dust Hill didn't actually have a level.

However, what I gather from this is the the levels are created Externally; and added later.
    So there IS a Dust Hill Zone, or whatver you want to call it; actual level layout that was finished; but not actually added to a rom that was released to the public.

So it existed, but it's unlikely we'll ever see it.

Also -
    Just as many people would have mentioned Wood Zone as Dust Hill, quite possible. Yet she only remembers Dust hill. And you don't get that assertive about something some Sonic fanboy kiddies tell you.

5. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Okay, now I get it. Weflame is here. Why arguing with him? It's pointless

6. Wetflame

Wetflame

What the fuck is that meant to mean?

7. Frigidare

Frigidare

Above picture copyright of IFG Publications Member
    Dust Hill could have been a completely different level. Neither desert or cave. Quickman's magazine extracts prove nothing more than what Zone the level select pointer named "Dust Hill Zone" pointed to.

8. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    I agree. The magazine that Quick Man scanned (or obtained the scans of) could just prove that we have an earlier if not the same beta that they have.

9. Wetflame

Wetflame

That's a very good point, Quick Man. What fucing difference does that shot make? It seems that the beta we have is the one that most magazines got, so of course you'd only see Dust Hill attatched to Mystic Caves.

10. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    You are using the scan that you yourself somewhat think is a mock up. I agree with the quoted arguments against the scan, though.

11. Wetflame

Wetflame

Okay, I asked Brenda and she said she used the working name "Desert Level" but as far as she remembers the name was indeed intended to be Dust Hill when it was put in the game.

If she remembers that she gave it her own working name, no matter how simple, chances are her memory is right on this one.

Sorry, IceKnight =/ It miht have bene almost another 3 years, but you remember some things with time too, especially if you're reminded.

None of the art ever made it into the game.

I'm editting the log and I'll post it soon.

Also, has anyone talked to the art director?

EDIT: Actually, I've anticipated the reaction, and I'm pretty annoyed. You don't truth the person who drew the art, you don't trust common sense, you don't trust decent theory, all you trust is something that was almost defintiely a pointer mix up due to rushed time. Because it's TECHNICAL.

PLAUSIBLE SCENARIO:

The level select name for Dust Hill was made; but it enver made it in. Instead they dumped in Mystic Caves, an unnamed level, and didn't bother changing the name, since it's only a beta. It remained that way until the final, since there was no point changing it, since they already had a name, even if it was only a mix-up. Like Monkey Kong and Donkey Kong (Note: I'm not sure if it's true, but the fact that people believed it so much shows it's possible =P)

12. THANK YOU! :P

13. Wetflame

Wetflame

Brenda got me in contact with the Art Director, anyone any questions for him?

14. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Nice one wetflame for geting more evidence :D[​IMG]
    I look forward to reading the chat log (and with your permission I would really like to add it to my interview archive).

EDIT:
    He might know something about the time travel concept if there was one. Hell if he organized the art he'd know a ton of stuff, hmm, boiling it down to questions is not something I'm great at.

15. Frigidare

Frigidare

I'll be the first one to say it.

"What was the planned name for the desert level in Sonic 2?"

Best if it was worded like that, to stop him using our ideas for names. Ask that question only. If he queries, show him the mock-up.

16. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Hmm might be a waste of an oppotunity just to ask him one question, then again too many would scare him off. Also I suggest you discuss it with ICEKnight before making contact, I emailed ICEKnight once before contacting Mark Cerny, and he told be that he had already tried contacting him. I naturally emailed M.C. reminding him about IceKnights email but neither him nor I got any responce :(

17. Wetflame

Wetflame

IceKnight doesn't like me unfortunately. A while a go I PMed him on Area51 about something and he told me to fuck off and not to contact him again and generally treated me like a big creep and inhuman scum.

So, no.

Actually, that's what all this is about isn't it? All the cool people like Sax and Iceknight aren't as cool anymore =( People just fight and stuff over stuff that doesn't matter.

18. Frigidare

Frigidare

Well, I meant as opposed to divulging about our argument over the whole matter. By all means ask other unrelated questions, but we could probably only ask about art, seeing as he was the art director. Ask about any other level designs he looked at or worked on.

19. Is there any pre-betas for Sonic 2? If so, can he get the rom dumped for us?

20. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    I wouldn't go with just that question. We have a selection of Mock-Ups, why not ask some more?

EDIT: Oh, didn't see this page.