don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Oh gawd, dat Nike smile.

IT'S BACK.

the coloring of Sonic himself is also kinda weird

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    God, I love the cover of SU #42. The variant and #239 are just fucking lazy though.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    VEDJ-F tipped me off to this, subscribers are reciving their SSSM#3 today. For those that are unaware, this issue of SuperSonic Special Magazine is the issue with the Sonic 4: Episode 2 tie-in. As such, people with subscriptions may have access to new info on the game (or maybe not, I dunno how SEGA/Archie have gone about this).

If anyone spots any scans of these, let us know.

4. Tylinos: Well, okay, the original character came from Penders, even if he was just a no-name scientist back then. You're right though, it was Bollers. :P

5. Tylinos

Tylinos

Alright, fair enough.

Anyway, some stuff people are saying is in SSM#3 that I'm seeing around:

The issue confirms that the Metal Sonic from the SU#41 cover is indeed Metal Sonic 2.5 (The one that died in the volcano in Issue #88)

And remember the many, many moons sometimes seen in the sky above Mobius in earlier issues, including "Muckury" from all the way back in Issue #13? The timeline update for this issue says that [inlinespoiler]they're space stations like the Ark[/inlinespoiler].

The timeline also says the Rabbots allied with the Overlanders in the Great War. How that makes sense considering the Overlander racism in that war, I have no idea.

EDIT: The guys from Segabits' Sonic Talk podcast have announced Ian's going to be their guest on this week's show. They've started a thread on Bumbleking for questions to ask him. If anyone has something they want to know, post it in the thread by Thursday morning:

http://bumbleking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5690

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    For those interested, Herms85 on DevART did a cover art dump of the Megaman and Sonic comics. If you wanted a certain cover in HQ without any watermarks, it may be there!

7. Tylinos

Tylinos

Matt Herms is a pretty awesome colorist, though he does have a habit of having his covers be mostly dominated by one color.

Oh, also, the version of the SU#37 cover he put up still has Akhlut on it, who was removed from the final cover:
    http://herms85.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-Universe-37-Cover-297624564

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Just read the Sonic 4: Episode II adaption.

[​IMG]

Badass.

9. Tylinos

Tylinos

That reminds me. Preview pages went up for SSSM #3, including of the adaption. This set of previews below the spoiler courtesy of IGN:

http://comics.ign.com/articles/122/1223744p1.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up, from the same source, Sonic Select #5 previews:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As someone pointed out elsewhere from those previews:
    [​IMG]

Now for some Sonic #236 previews from Destructioid:

http://www.destructoid.com/elephant/photo-m.phtml?post_key=226374&photo_key=221636

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Larger versions of the covers for Sonic #239, SU #42, SSSM #4, and SUGN #3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, Segabits' interview with Ian went up on their site. It's 3 hours long, but they do have an alternate Youtube version for those who don't want to download a relatively large audio file, or simply can't:
    http://segabits.com/blog/2012/04/23/sonic-talk-episode-6-ask-ian/

I've listed some of the info from the interview, but I highly recommend you guys listen to it yourselves first. It's a really fun listen, and you'll miss out on Ian as Big the Cat. But if you really don't have the time to listen, or already have and need a re-summary of points, here you go:

There's a planned Lien-Da reveal about her body post-rebuilding. It needs story approval, but Ian said it should be coming soon.

Ian clarifies that the Iron Queen really does love Snively, but at the same time is very much using him.

It's strongly implied that Ian was originally set to write a Sonic '06 tie-in shortly before the game came out.

He notes that in #175 he intended the readers to be worried for the SatAM cast's lives potentially being in danger, since only the Sega cast escaped Eggman's attack, but no one worried. And yet now people have been incredibly worried of that.

When one of the hosts notes that he dislikes MxYL, Ian responds that "You're not going to have to worry about it for a LOOONG while."

Ian says he WANTS to do some Moebius soon, but that it depends on the schedule.

"Al and Cal are Muppets with laser guns."

Ian's original plan for Universe was to have a Knuckles arc per year. The Knuckles story he had planned for the early 20s in Universe is being retooled and he's re-pitching it now for the main Sonic book rather than Universe.

The Merlin Prower arc was also planned for Universe, but Sega prevented it for the time being.

Mighty and Ray's arc taking a while to happen is actually Ian's doing, not Sega's. He wanted their leaving to actually have impact. He says it should be coming "soon".

Ian noted that they will clarify how Metal Sonic 2.5 survived the volcano, and pointed out that in Knuckles Chaotix, Knuckles absolutely SHATTERED him and he STILL fixed himself.

Ian does the best Gutsman and Big the Cat voices, bar none.

When he did Darkest Storm (#162 to #164), his standing orders for the story were "resolve all the outstanding [as in leftover] plot points left by Mr. Penders and Mr. Bollers, and do it in this one storyline." It was originally supposed to be six issues long.

We won't be learning about Hershey's fate anytime soon. He strongly implies it's due to the Penders stuff. (As people have noted before, Hershey is the one character Penders actually has a pretty strong claim to, as she was based on his own cat.)

Silver wasn't originally planned as one of the members of the Secret Freedom Fighters, but was added because no one on the team was known to non-comic readers. Sales and whatnot.

Ian still has no immediate plans for Arlo the Armadillo.

The Sonic 4: Episode II story was almost a backup story in Sonic Universe rather than the Super Special Magazine.

There is "something major" planned for the short time of year around the releases of SU #50 and Sonic #250, and that the stories will be tied together in some way. It's "something so huge that [he's] not even going to tease any of it. It's gonna happen, and you're not gonna believe it, and it's gonna be great." He does, however, strongly imply SU #50 will not merely be in the middle of a four-issue arc.

The conclusion of the King Naugus arc will be a "MAJOR conclusion to the arc" have a signifigant and life-changing event for at least one character.

Tracy Yardley! is working on potentially writing another story arc.

The original plan for the Iron Dominion arc was COMPLETELY different from the final product, and the original plans are still viable as seperate stories.

10. Do you know about what time Ian does his Big the Cat?

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    [​IMG]
    Sonic's speech bubble in that first panel. I see what they did there. =P

12. Tylinos

Tylinos

It happens a few times during the interview, but the first time was about an hour and ten minutes in. (Gutsman is just before that, so check that out too) [strike]If you just want that one, use my notes as a kind of guide for finding it ; I have them in the order they happen in the interview.[/strike] Yeah, it's about there. For Gutsman and Big, start around 1:09:30.

If you can, though, try to find some talk about shipping a bit after that as well. "Big" talks about his love interests.
    EDIT: It's at about 1 hour 47 minutes.

13. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    "Whoops! looks like that was another one of those Load Bearing Bosses"

14. dsrb

dsrb

>E.G.G. Station
    >Little Planet is about to reappear

Little Planet confirmed for unwitting kernel of Death Egg?

15. Muahahahah, his Big the Cat is brilliant. I like how he didn't have to make him sound extra dopey for the impersonation to work. Just dopey enough.

16. Tylinos

Tylinos

[​IMG]
    http://www.randomhouse.com/book/220008/the-complete-sonic-the-hedgehog-comic-encyclopedia-by-ian-flynn

Looks like it really is coming.

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Well yeah, Ian said it was coming in October like...last year I believe. :v:

18. Impish

Impish

'Twas announced In 2010 I think. Bloody hell Archie, I would've written it off by now.

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Yeah, it was. But then SEGA got involved for reasons unknown. But at least now it's coming.

20. Picked up my copy of Sonic for Free Comic Book Day.
    The Genesis: Awakenings stories for each character were really neat. Almost to the point where I pondered how cool it would be if they wrote a small series of books taking place in the Comic universe.