don't click here

Amy In Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Chao Fan

Chao Fan

With serene grace, bitch!
    desert
    Sonic Retraux (french words = pretty :3)
    Her running animation doesn't look too bad. At least it isn't choppy or worse... o_o;

However, I found two more irks that make the gameplay seem odd. One is in Marble zone, whene her Down+B move doesn't destroy the blocks and two in Star Light zone, where she gets hurt when attacking the ball-thingy, even if it looks like she shouldn't.

[/complaining]

2. Felik

Felik

Just played this hack and must say that it's VERY entertaining. Amy's sprites are really well made and the hack is overall very polished and neat.
    It just made Sonic 1 two times more fun than it was.

My only meaningful suggestion is to make special sensor for Amy's hammer that would kill enemies instead of just enlarging main collision sensor. That's really needed because she should be able to kill Orbinauts and Star pointers without getting hit.

And there are also a few minor glitches but I'm pretty sure that you are aware of them.

Great job at making Sonic 1 UN-boring!

3. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    You think Sonic 1 is boring? o_O

4. Felik

Felik

After playing it so many times this hack was like a breath of fresh air for me.
    However yeah Sonic 1 is not boring but I kinda got used to it.

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx. I admit playing so many versions of the game has made Sonic 1 a bit dull, I should really try hacking another game.

About her hammer attack, well making said sensor would be rather difficult to make, the best I could think of is placing it as a separate object like the rings in Chaotix, which would be rather complex. I'm not sure really making her invulnerable to some badniks like that is quite fair anyway, I don't think it happened in Advance anyway.

Yes I am aware of some of the glitches, I should make a final polished revision but I keep switching between this and my Sally project.

6. Blue Warrior

Blue Warrior

USA
    Sonic 1 soundtrack
    You know, I've always thought Sonic 1 was a boring and overrated game in comparison to its successors. Then I played this hack. Holy shit, suddenly Marble Zone is fun.

Do you think you could do this for Sonic 2 as well?

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    The hack page got a database error:
    Can you provide an alt. link the last ones?

8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    The entire wiki gives this error btw, not just his hack's page. Also awesome hack! ^^

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx everyone. I guess the wiki is just having down time (until then there's a link to Rev 1.5 on the first page of this topic which is mostly the same outside a couple odd glitch fixes).

I'll probably try a Sonic 2 project in due time, I'll need to complete Amy's sheet for the respective game to fully implement her however.

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

New revision that fixes most of the problems beforehand, glitches are mostly fixed, pallettes are redone and demos are remade with my slightly more competant gameplay:

http://info.sonicretro.org/images/b/bc/S1AmyRev1.7.zip

Special thanks to a good few other Retro members especially MarkeyJester and Fragag for helping with bugfixes and Mercury for helping reprogram the demos with his converter.

Any other problems with the game please tell me.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Awesome as always. Have you thought of applying similar pallete tricks as "Sonic 1 and 2"?

"B" works better as the attack button. =(

12. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I just tried this out for the first time and I'm very pleased with what I've played! The animations are buttery smooth and everything works just as it should. Kudos!

13. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    What! That's my primary jump button. I would find that awkward having an attack in between two jump buttons. I'm intrigued why you would think it would be better though.

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx. :D

I'm not nearly on the same league as the likes of Colin and Markey so I haven't figured out how to program such pallette tricks, it took me long enough to figure out to switch pallette lines for an object alone.

*sigh* I'll make a button switch version later on. It'll f*** up the new demos and debug mode though.

Thanx.

Well it's convinient to try it when the project is pretty much fully refined really. :D

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Because 90% of the Mega Drive games work like that. Perhaps.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    He has a point - C is usually the primary jump and A and B are attacks/skills.

17. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Think about it practically; what controllers are you more likely to play this with? Keyboard? PS3 pad? PSP? Granted, on a keyboard, you're likely to use 'D' or an arrow key, but on pads nowadays you don't have the Mega Drive's unique layout.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That misses the point. Whatever control pad you're using for Mega Drive games already has its buttons configured for using the C button to jump and the B button to attack, in whatever position feels better for you.

So you'll have to change the emulator's button configuration for this game only, and then change it back when you're finished.

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    True. The thing is that games that have that tend to have different actions for each button. The way I'm seeing the layout of the buttons is that it could be either....

Attack, Attack, Jump

or

Jump, Attack, Jump

It just seems weird to have layouts like these two. And a bit overzealous to have two attacks. I suppose if your use B for attack and C for jumps with other games I can see where you all come from. I'm just one of those people that doesn't have a problem switching button patterns between each game. As long as the layouts fit perfectly for the game, that's all that matters.

20. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Strange - the games I've played on my PSP have been using the default configuration for its emulator (Square - A, Cross - B, Circle - C) and most of my games involve my Cross button without configuration. That said, I don't really care about what button it's on. I was filling in for an arguement - however it is more logical for games now to use the main button. Despite that, the Japanese main button on the PSP is Circle, so eh.