don't click here

Amy In Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I wouldn't be like, y'know, a rolling attack or anything, more like a dodge-roll. (In fact, if said dodge-roll came with some brief invincibility frames or something of that nature, that could be a unique little evasive ability.)

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah... It looks really awesome, but awkwardly offcentered. =\

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I get what you mean, a different ability, buts that's exactly why I say I don't want it to look like a Sonic spin, so as people don't send Sally head first into an enemy and then find it doesn't work the same way.

I always get stuck on really dumb things, don't I? :v:

As for the emblem I'll take a look at the properties later on and see if I can do anything with it.

The subtitle is off center, but is level with the emblem which is equally offcenter for some reason. If you mean the emblem being too far up, as said I'll try fixing it later on.

By the way am I allowed to wiki my Amy hack? Since it's almost complete outside a few glitches I thought it might be safe to put on.

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    It does need to be clearly distinguishable from a Sonic roll...

Hm...

Well, how about a single sort of tumble-roll move that lasts exactly one roll, which looks something like what Solid Snake does—kind of a forward diving stealth roll. While the roll animation is in effect, Sally is invulnerable. The roll can be used while moving (which doesn't alter momentum) or while standing (which acts as a medium-speed momentum boost). Perhaps in order to avoid confusing it with a Sonic roll, it could be assigned its own button, so that Sally has a jump button, an attack button, and a dodge-roll button? I think simply placing it on its own button would be enough to stop anyone from instinctively using it as a roll move.

EDIT: As an added idea, why not allow the roll button to be used for an air-dodge mechanic while airborne, too? I think it's worth considering...

EDIT 2: Hm. I thought on it some more, and it might be more complicated than invincibility frames if you want it to work in a functional and balanced way. Like, the evasion moves would have to be able to tell the difference between enemies/projectiles and environmental hazards, lest hazards in the levels be too easy to avoid...

5. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Not for some reason. The emblem is ALWAYS an entire tile to the left (look at other hacks and maybe even a clean Sonic 1 ROM).

6. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Go right on ahead. :)

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Yay, thanx. :)

http://info.sonicretro.org/Amy_Rose_In_Sonic_1

In addition added a newer revision with a few minor bug fixes.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Might I suggest you find a way to move the whole screen down a bit? I can't describe what I mean well in words so I'll show you in picture form:

[​IMG][​IMG]

To accomadate for the extra emblem that said Knuckles on it, they moved the title screen down a bit. I think you should try to do the same for this, because the current form seems really cramped at the top and a lot of empty space at the bottom

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Great, but... Attack on the B button, pleeease. =(

10. Of course it'll be missing the awesome fact Knuckles is powerful enough to shake his fist and the whole emblem just topples to the bottom of the screen like that.

11. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

...or that the Emblem was actually centered in Sonic 2. =3

But yeah, it'd be cool, but I never really noticed it until someone pointed it out and the restoration of the "Press Start Button" graphic to the bottom of the screen makes it look a bit more evened-out regardless, I think.

12. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I always wanted to play as classic amy in a 2D game.

One thing kinda bugs me, though. Her full-speed running animation doesn't have many frames, and it looks so weird. She looks like a fast, floating amputee. If it would make a difference, is it possible to add a few frames to it?

13. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    FWIW, every character in the classics had a 4 frame running animation.

14. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    knuckles always looked ackward to me in Sonic 2. They should have redrawn him to match the art. They redrew the sign post...

15. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

As mentioned, every character, even later on uses a four frame animation in the Genesis/Megadrive titles, I admit the animation is a little off in places (possibly because it is based off her Advance dash, which DOES use more frames).

16. Chao Fan

Chao Fan

With serene grace, bitch!
    desert
    Sonic Retraux (french words = pretty :3)
    I like this hack. It's very polished (sans the objects that share Amy's pallete. A green spring?) and well thought out. Although it wasn't really a big deal, I noticed how Amy could do damage when forced into a ball, something she couldn't do in Advance 1. Since you said you'd be trying to emulate the Advance 1 physics, I thought I'd point it out. Of course, this is just a suggestion, not a complaint.

17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx. :)

Yeah, I couldn't get around the springs due to the mirror palettes used for the yellow ones, if I change the green ones back to red the yellow ones are miscolored instead.

I wasn't sure whether to make her ball form harmless since it comes into play a lot more than in Advance 1, where it's so rare and small in distance you have to try hard to hit an enemy to get hurt. In Sonic 1 the roll is actually programmed to be vital in a good few places (Star Light Zone boss for example). It can work without it, but it seemed a bit of misleading to have a spin form that doesn't hit.

18. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Well the only times it actually comes into play is after coming out of S-tubes in GHZ and coming off the SLZ boss seesaws. I think anyone who has played the game up to SLZ3, having seen Amy not curl into a ball every time she jumps, and having destroyed enemies solely by using the hammer, deserves to get hurt by Robotnik for not realising that she doesn't attack in ball form.

19. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member

Is there any way to limit how fast the frames go? Or would having that blur effect used on her shoes like Sonic do better?

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I wouldn't change Amy's running animation at all.

It doesn't look worse than Yoshi's in Yoshi's Island, and that was a masterpiece of a game. =P