don't click here

A campaign to release Sonic Unleashed on PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by tuanpingas, Mar 14, 2016.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It kinda isn't that different from what racing games do. Those have been doing the "looking pretty with low detail" thing for years. If you'd look up close to the details of the environments in games like Forza, Gran Turismo, Driveclub etc. you'd find similar lower detailed environments. It's just that you go so fast through those environments that you don't have time to notice it.

That and it's the difference between a game that's just graphically impressive and a game with good art. The former will look like shit five years after release, the latter will continue to look nice forever. Except for most 3D PS1/N64 games, those are always going to look dated.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Agreed but I also thought Crash 2 and 3 held up beautifully for some reason.

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I did say most, there are exceptions. :v:

4. Blugenesi(Jarty)

Blugenesi(Jarty)

Wannabe Youtuber Member
    Man, this would be awesome, since I only played the Wii version. Only thing is I do not see how this kinda petition would help. Last Petition I was a part of was SegaSonic for 3ds, but I guess this is more realistic.
    The major reason I would want to see this is for the modding community. This plus '06 could be VERY awesome...

Sonic The Hedgehog 2006: The Fixed version anyone?

5. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    An 06 port would be really stupid, and a waste of money. Why would they port one of most incomplete and unpolished AAA games ever made?

And people would stop taking Sonic seriously.

6. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    When the official social media is primarily jokes about continuity and plots of past Sonic games, we are a good long while before the series is taken seriously by anyone outside the fanbase.

7. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Release the source code à la Doom. People can make source ports that fix the issues, but that still require the base game files.

8. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    Eh, I knda agree. Sonic is not taken that seriously nowadays, especially after the release of Sanic Bum. But a PC port of 06 would turn Sega into a big joke in whole gaming industry (like Bubsy) , even if they fix the bugs.
    That would be great, but I doubt Sega would do that. :/

9. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    It honestly boggles my mind. It's basically free cash and amazing PR.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Generations, especially in the Classic acts but every so often in the Modern acts too, looks "bad" at times (not bad at all but you know, it's noticeable). By this I mean that you don't even have to look closely or stop and slow down or do anything slightly unexpected. Generations is worse than Unleashed in this regard but even Unleashed manages to slip up in a few places.

11. Sothen

Sothen

USA
    Unleashed is pretty old at this point and got decidedly middling reception, I don't know if it's worth it financially for Sega to port it. If there ever was some kind of HD/Enhanced collection of 3D console titles maybe but Unleashed is in an awkward place where it's new enough to not really need enhancing but not old enough to be nostalgic.

12. tuanpingas

tuanpingas

Hanoi, Vietnam
    some small Sonic Generations mods
    Eh, Gistix is remaking the whole game in Unity, including physics fix of course. though I'm afraid it might be canceled since there haven't any new progresses for months.

13. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Pretty sure it's already been said in the relevant topic that the developer of that is the "only shows up on the odd occasion to show a thing" kind of person.

14. MartiusR

MartiusR

Well, I don't want to repeat what other already mentioned a couple of times (yes, that part about preferring Sonic Colors first :P), but generally, I like the idea of releasing Sonic Unleashed on PC. I've got the feeling that I'm missing a big chunk of Sonic games (approximately between 2005 and 2011 - don't have any console of "this generation" - PS3/XBox360/Wii), and having one of these games which are not considered as failure and have some positive opinions - why not? And even if I would agree with opinions that probably Sega is probably considering that step ("if" and "when"), Aaand I'm generally far from negate such initiatives as this one, even if it doesn't have too big chances to be some major, or even minor,"decision factor".

15. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Socially maladjusted Member
    Sydney, Australia
    My game with an extremely long name!
    I don't know what you guys are talking about, Unleashed has to be one of my absolute favourite games! If they ported the Generations drifting physics and the ring energy gain from that, I'd pour so much money into it. Now here's my obligatory rant against Colours. Sonic's written as a massive douche. The air physics are off, you moved too far in midair. The controls are all delayed, making the Nega-Wisp Armour fight especially hard where Quickstep timing is of the essence. The game's got too much 2D compared to the 3D.

Although I do agree that modifying the ratio of Werehog to Hedgehog levels would be a great idea. I remember young me getting so angry with going slowly. Then I found the run button. Also, how is it repetitive? The skill system really spices the combat up. I'd pour even more money into it if they nerf the goddamn Fire Wizards. Ugh, bad memories of those.

Sorry about the long rant, I wasn't targeting anyone in particular, just how everyone jumps on the bandwagon of hating Unleashed. For the record I love 06 too. 06 with Unleashed's lighting... Now that I want to see.

16. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I agree with all of this, though I'd rather they didn't make any changes. Leave the game as it was originally created, and the fans can mod it if they want to.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Personally I like sonic being written as kind of a douche. He was too infallible before, always perfect, loved by all, "REAL SUPER POWER OF TEAMWORK." Colors and Lost World, despite some plot flaws (mostly the latter) gave sonic a character closer to what I think was envisioned. He's impatient, rushes to action, and that finally came back to bite him in the ass sometimes. He also makes corny jokes that he finds funny but no one else does because he thinks he's top shit.

So he's not perfect but that's what makes him better IMO. Otherwise you just have Mario with cheery one liners

18. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    While I agree on the principle, there's a difference between a being douche and being a dick. The former inherently has an aspect of being a poser about them, and I usually equate it to the kind of stuff you see in traditional high school jock. That's opposed to the latter is just a part of their personality, more associated with being blunt and not caring about other people's opinions that don't line up with his own. He doesn't deal with the politics of the situation, he acts on it. More aloof than intentionally antagonistic towards people.

I think THAT was more of the depiction of Sonic in the early days. I doubt Tails would decide to hang around and look up to a bully.

19. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I think Sonic's best portrayal was in SatBK, tbh. Just the opening cinematic itself oozes character.

20. tuanpingas

tuanpingas

Hanoi, Vietnam
    some small Sonic Generations mods
    true