don't click here

A campaign to release Sonic Unleashed on PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by tuanpingas, Mar 14, 2016.

1. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Why? I'm a fan of racing games, but that doesn't mean I like Big Rigs.

Let me get this out of the way: I love Sonic Unleashed. I think the day stages are the best Sonic's ever been in 3D, and find the night stages tolerable (and once beaten, there's no need to play them again so the game stays good thereafter).

There are lots of reasons to dislike the Werehog, and it's not just "BAAAAW FIGHTER". The endless repetition of beating respawning enemies in a tiny area, along with the dodgy camera during balancing sections, interspliced with checkpoints sparsely placed stopped it from being a fun experience for me.

There's another complaint I have, but it's eluding me for now.

On top of that, Generations mods pretty much cover all the good parts of Unleashed on PC such that I'd rather have Sonic Colours instead (especially as that's my favourite Sonic game bar S3K overall anyway), and there are games I'd prioritise even more, such as the aforementioned Jet Set Radio Future.

2. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I find Unleashed to be one of the overrated Sonic titles, along with Sonic 2 (16-bit) and Sonic Adventure 2. They're all three not bad games, but there are way better games than these. I like but dislike Unleashed at the same time because, there isn't a perfect balance of gameplay IMO. Sonic himself can be too uncontrollable at times, and the Werehog levels are long and tedious after a while. I actually enjoyed Sonic Colors more than unleashed, at least on the DS I haven't played the Wii version so I can't judge that.

3. Felik

Felik

You haven't played Colors Wii? I'm not gonna say that you're wrong but you're really missing out not even giving it a try for whatever reason.
    And that comes from a person who's favorite Sonic game is Sonic 3&K.

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I don't see how Unleashed can be overrated when it's frequently lambasted by publications like Retro Gamer as the worst Sonic game in existence.

5. Can we all just agree that Unleashed had stellar music? //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/v.png

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yes absolutely. Fantastic music.

I wouldn't mind seeing an Unleashed port, as long as we can turn that Werehog battle theme the fuck off I'll be happy.

7. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I don't own a Wii, but now that I have a Wii U I plan on going back and getting all the Sonic games that were released for the Wii that I missed out on. :P (S3K is my favorite Sonic game as well.) But yes we can at least agree that the music in Unleashed is epic!

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I know that there's a significant number of people interested in an Unleashed port. I'm just here to remind people that most of the Unleashed levels have been ported fantastically to the superior Generations by the Unleashed Project ;)

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea, but it'd be nice to play as Knuckles in place of the Werehog :specialed: Then Unleashed could be Sonic & Knuckles 2

10. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    I've never played Sonic Unleashed, because the only console I have is a PS2. But I would fucking love an Unleashed port. While I can play Unleashed's daytime stages with Unleashed Project and Adventure Pack mods, it's just not the same thing. They just feel like level packs, not actual games. And that doesn't give you the same experience.
    And I know, Unleashed is also for PS2, but that version is not good at all. It's daytime stages are pretty mediocre, and night stages are boring as fuck. I just can't enjoy it that much.
    For Sonic Colors, I can live with Dolphin, so no thanks.
    Mario as werehog would be my favorite mod ever :v:

11. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I'm gonna be the minority here and say that I did enjoy the Werehog sections from time to time. It has its flaws, no doubt, but I can't say I hate it or anything. Plus I kind of liked the Werehog's design.

A PC Port would be nice, especially to see people muck around with it like how Dark Sonic mentioned the idea of swapping the Werehog with Knuckles (and alterting parts of the levels to help). While I sort of don't see this happening, it would be interesting if there was a way to give each night time stage its own battle music like how Kingdom Hearts does it.

12. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    To be perfectly honest, my main issue with the Werehog wasn't so much its presence or the gameplay, it was with the ratio of Day:Night stages. Other than that my main issue with Unleashed was the odd decision of putting homing attack on the same button as boost, rather than the jump button like in every other game including the Wii/PS2 version of the game.

13. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUGBSqufPc
    I'm pretty sure it would be possible to change the homing attack button on the PC port if we can already do that on Xbox 360.I

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    And then we can all have fun speedrunning Bobsleigh Hellride.

More on-topic: I'm #AnythingSega4PC really. I think Sega would find it better financially to look into more well-received games first though. Lost World's terrible sales are surely related to the overall reception, and Unleashed isn't way better in that regard IMO.

Even the ridiculously short game that Generations is has about 18.8% clear rate according to Steam's achievements, and that takes like 5-6 hours at most. Unleashed is way tougher to swallow than that to be done with the werehog.

15. tuanpingas

tuanpingas

Hanoi, Vietnam
    some small Sonic Generations mods
    Well future is full of unexpected events. I'm a bit certain that Sonic Unleashed PC sales will at least more than Lost Mind, even though it might be in a small number again

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I would like Unleashed on the PC mainly because it's such a beautiful looking game, I want to see it at it's full potential. Even with it being almost 8 years old it still looks incredible.

Unleashed is definitely the most cinematic Sonic game.

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    This is very true. Hedgehog Engine is capable of drop-dead gorgeous lighting. There's definitely a reason it was still being used as late as 2013 (though heavily neutered in Lost World).

It's still shocking how much of Unleashed's visuals rely on that lighting. I remember years ago Polygon Jim put up side by side comparisons of textures and I think level models between Sonic '06 and Unleashed, and '06 had the higher-res textures AND models. Unleashed's advantage was lighting and particles.

Just goes to show how important presentation is.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Given how much bigger Unleashed is than 06 I can let the textures slide, particularly because you're going so fast anyway you don't really notice

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Some parts of Unleashed (and Generations) have painfully bad texturing, and it's not even difficult to notice. And I think the AA is pretty duff too. So the fact that Unleashed manages to look so good so many years on is a real testament. I hope we can get another Sonic game that's that pretty.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I see what you did there, and you get a round of applause from me for it. =P

The Werehog sections ruined Unleashed for me, which is part of why I find the Unleashed Project and the like so appealing. If Sega was going to port either Unleashed or Colours to PC, I'd go with Colours every time (though I wouldn't say no to both).