don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

Just beat Lava Mountain 4. I had a pretty silly moment in Lava Mountain 3 where I beat bowZer, but I forgot to move over to solid ground on my last life. :specialed:

I think my biggest problem with Lost World is that there are just several little things that are inconsistent (Kick/HA shenanigans) or don't make a lot of sense (like...ice blocks being enemies apparently?). Even still though, in my main playthrough, I didn't run into anything incredibly frustrating - it was just like "oh, that's a thing" for me. I think it helps that in Lost World, losing a life doesn't feel like such a setback because there is no score-based ranking in this game. So once I experienced something for the first time, it stuck with me to do (or not do) a thing. Still, I wish there were better tells for when the typical rules of the game changed. Also, for parkour to have been a factor of the game they hyped up so much, it doesn't come into play a whole lot. For some of the Red Star Rings, yeah, but I generally don't think the cylindrical levels were the best place to make use of it. Overall though, I enjoyed the game. Don't know quite where I would place it as far as Sonic games that I like, but I think it's good at the very least. I have all of the Red Star Rings in Sky Road 2-4 and Lava Mountain Zone - will probably go back for the rest, achievements, and S-Ranks when I get a more suitable PC.

By the way, I was toying around with the framerate options, and while I'm not sure about some other objects that I had trouble with like that Sky Road 1 miniboss, it seems that the lowest framerate you can go to without the TC1/TC4/SF1 butterflies fading into oblivion is 40 FPS (was testing in increments of 5).

2. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Really? I think dying, or even failure in general, is a lot more frustrating here than in Sonic's better outings. Failure in Lost World generally means death, or something that forces you to die intentionally to make another attempt, like quite a few of the game's red rings, and because of the way the game is designed, I find retreating even a relatively small amount of the level rather tedious. Meanwhile, in something like Generations, failure is a minor inconvenience at worst. Usually instead of dying, you just lose a few seconds off of your time, or end up on the longer (but usually just as if not more interesting) path instead of the speediest route. And since the gameplay is so satisfying, even dying and being sent back to the checkpoint isn't as frustrating because making it back to where you were can be even more fun than it was the first time now that you know what's up ahead and how to plow through it.

Plus, the absolute dumbest shit will hurt you in Lost World. It's bad enough not knowing which enemies to kick instead of homing attack, but when they HURT YOU for picking the wrong one, that's incredibly obnoxious. Enemies and obstacles that don't have visually obvious deterrents (like spikes or being electrified) should NEVER hurt Sonic while he's in some kind of attack state. At worst, he should be bouncing off of them. You guys want a fun fact? Spin-dashing into Egg Pawns DAMAGES SONIC. That's the kind of bullshit this game will pull on you for not already knowing its arbitrary and unexplained rules.

3. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Technically a Mario-series game did them 7 years prior to that, albeit only as the setting for a single boss fight. = P

4. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I see your Raven, and raise you a Scrap Brain Zone.

I guess that's a bit straw-graspy, but still a similar concept.

5. I didn't really even make those screenshots for Retro in the first place, but since you asked for higher quality shots, here they are:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for a video, I can't really do it at the moment as my upload speeds aren't good at all. Also, it's tough to play with broken graphics, there's invisible stuff all over the place. :v:

6. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

I dunno, my note about dying was just how I felt about it personally. The only times in the game I ran into instant death stuff that didn't make a lot of sense were Silent Forest 2, Lava Mountain 2 and to an extent Sky Road 4. Otherwise, if I failed in the game, it was usually to some sort of minor obstacle, which I had rings for, so I didn't run into the issue of dying super frequently. It was just hard to keep my life count up because I kept getting hit by things (hence my silly Game Over in Lava Mountain 3). I also didn't encounter the Egg Pawn issue you mentioned there simply because I never tried that. But of course, that absolutely should not be a thing, especially considering how Boost-like the Spin Dash is in this game.

I can't defend that or Sonic deciding to suddenly turn into a snowball or Sky Road 4's rising death plane or Lava Mountain 2; I guess these things just didn't bother me as much as others. My issue with the game isn't so much that the different types of levels were incredibly frustrating; it's moreso that, again, the rules in these stages (and for the game in general sometimes) are not exactly clearly explained, and I know that alone would end up being incredibly frustrating to some players. For example, I'm not sure many people know that holding down the Dash button applies to Snowball!Sonic in Frozen Factory 2 too, which makes that level a breeze. In hindsight, they could've gotten around a lot of the backlash by making more "normal" levels.

Also wow in retrospect, (epiphany I had while typing this that I'm sure others have had) 3D-2D transitions are pretty bad, haha

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Its funny because nothing else looks bad just Ron Lim Sonic there. thanks for the pics though!

8. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    I dunno, the fact that bushes from the bottom of the level are rendering above everything else in that second screenshot is pretty damn bad :v:

9. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

If you look carefully, pretty much everything is rendering in front of stuff it isn't supposed to. I imagine that's why Sonic's entire eye panel is visible instead of being behind his eyebrows where it belongs.

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Before Ron Lim Lost World goes by the wayside...
    [​IMG]

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Alright, can we quit clogging up the thread with meme images now, please? =P

12. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    Huh, I thought flying stages were terrible. Actually they are not too bad, I enjoyed them. And I didn't know there were 2 of them.

13. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I thought they were awful. The controls were awkward, f you go too low it treats it as a bottomless pit death, missing red rings is a pain in the ass, and (as I've said before) you can get hurt trying to attack the big robots that don't look any more hazardous to touch than the robots you've already been smashing.

14. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I think the first levels from each world were the best stages in Lost World, with varying degrees of success of course :v:

The 'gimmick' stages really didn't do anything for me.

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.

Did you make that TJ? god damn thats funny. we really need a Ron Lim Sonic mod now!!

Hey Xaniver how does sonic look in cutscenes?

16. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    I may be wrong, but I think the "cutscenes" are just videos since they seem to be at a lower resolution and framerate compared to the game.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yup they're poorly recorded videos.

Which kinda works in the favor of modding. Unlike Generations people don't have to worry about model compatibility in cutscenes.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Aww what? really so cutscenes are not in real time but just FMVs? lame I guess, was the Wii-U version the same way?

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    If it weren't, then they probably wouldn't be pre-rendered on PC either.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Not necessarily. In Unleashed PS360 those cutscenes were on the engine, but in the WiiS2 version they were pre-rendered. Plus they look a little more ass in this game than they did in the Wii U version.