Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Naoto Ohshima@SAGE. Interview tonight at 8:45PMEST - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Naoto Ohshima@SAGE. Interview tonight at 8:45PMEST Get involved

#31 User is offline Sik 

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:27 PM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11
Um, didn't the interview end already?

#32 User is offline OKei 

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

• OKeijiDragon
  • Project:My MOTHER-fucking-3 Documentary
^The interview ended kinda prematurely, so we were asked to make sorta follow up questions for Ohshima to answer via text later on.

#33 User is offline JigenD 

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

PLEASE, if you can, please ask him about what he thinks of both the art direction and gameplay of current sonic games !

#34 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
I made history.

#35 User is offline Mad Echidna 

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

• Gone
  • Wiki edits:4
This is what happens when interviews are handed by amateurs. It's really a shame you guys didn't have the retro staff handle this.

#36 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:41 PM

View PostMad Echidna, on 24 September 2011 - 10:35 PM, said:

This is what happens when interviews are handed by amateurs. It's really a shame you guys didn't have the retro staff handle this.

We did, sort of; the problem was more related to the translators being put on the spot and the complexity of the questions that were asked. We ended up going for simpler, more straightforward questions for the voice interview and that ended up working out better on the whole.

We've been given express permission to continue asking questions via text. This will be advantageous since the translators will have more time to word things out and Ohshima will have more time to think about and answer these questions. The interview process is not over, so continue to ask questions in this topic and we will sort through them appropriately.

#37 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:54 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
Between scrapped SCD levels and what sort of ideas were going on behind that really early concept art, there's not a lot that I'm that dying to know.

But I do want to see the answers to both of those sorts of questions.

#38 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:05 PM

• Subhedgehog
Can we get a transcript of the questions asked so far, if not the actual responses just yet? The audio clip in the OP isn't working for me.

EDIT: I'll drop some questions right now because I'm just going to miss the deadline with my luck: "To what extent were you involved with Chaotix? It was a radical departure from the established series- how do you imagine the franchise would've turned out had the game been a commercial success? Any interesting anecdotes? Anything you were particularly proud of, anything you regret?"

"You seem to be a pretty active artist, do you work on any personal projects in your spare time? Anything you could share?"

"Tell us everything you can about your experience with Blinx: The Time Sweeper."

"What would you consider to be Artoon's crowning achievement?"

"Why an entirely separate soundtrack for SCD US when the original was inspired by American music to begin with?"
This post has been edited by Ritz: 24 September 2011 - 11:33 PM

#39 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:31 PM

• Classier than you'll ever be.
  • Project:オノマトペ大臣
  • Wiki edits:381
I'm coming in here from work blind to anything that happened on #sagexpo so if this has been asked, feel free to answer early or just ignore it.

There exists an image of Sonic performing in a band with other characters, one of which later became Vector the Crocodile. Can you tell us some more about those other characters, or were they just extras designed at the time>

(Include picture for best effect.)

I imagine R2 questions were asked out the ass, so I'll skip that one.

Talk about the decisions behind Sonic CD's gameplay. Its levels and bosses are a flavor of their own compared to the Sega Mega Drive titles. A graphical effect found in Sonic 1 hinted at Sonic breaking the time barrier, sparking speculation of time traveling, an idea that was later also planned for Sonic 2. How did this shape Sonic CD?

Clean that one up or separate it if you wish.

Would it be all right to chuck in some NiGHTS, early Phantasy Star, and Burning Rangers questions? Maybe Blinx?

#40 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:42 PM

• Subhedgehog
Blinx was the final hurrah for the whole mascot platformer craze from the man who started it all, it's the first thing he came up with the moment he was given complete creative control. It deserves an interview all to itself, but there sure as hell isn't going to be a BAGE anytime soon. I don't even know where to start there, but ask him something and make it juicy.

EDIT: Fuck, this one's adorable: "Any tips for an aspiring character designer like meeeee?!"
This post has been edited by Ritz: 24 September 2011 - 11:47 PM

#41 User is offline SteelBrush 

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:52 PM

• 603e
  • Project:Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
Everything I would ask will probably covered in depth, however there is one obscure detail in SCD that I would like to know about.

Question.
Does the Angel in the past of Wacky Workbench Zone Act 2 have any hidden meaning?

#42 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:06 AM

• Subhedgehog
Good one! Oh, and everyone just fuck off already, this entire interview is mine. "What was the most pivotal moment of your entire life? Your most rapturous delight, your nadir? What were your childhood aspirations, what inspired you? Who is your hero? What are your hobbies? How luxurious is your house? Are you really just a has-been, or is your magnum opus still ahead of you?"

Fuck, fuck. I needed a whole week to prepare for this. When are the questions being sent in? The GHZ really needs to get in on this.

#43 User is offline evilhamwizard 

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:08 AM

• Wiki edits:109
My questions:

1.) Do you remember any concepts that Sonic Team worked on during the time you were there that never got off the ground?

2.) Was a Sonic 4 ever considered after Sonic 3 was released?

3.) Is it true that Sonic Adventure actually started off on the Sega Saturn? If it is, how far would you say in development was the game before the switch was made?

4.) Did you do any design work for Ristar/Feel?

5.) When you were asked to make changes to Sonic's design during production on Sonic 1, were there some things you wished were kept (like Sonic having fangs, etc)?

It's difficult to think up any questions that haven't been asked already. But since he worked very closely with the original Sonic Team, I figured that it just takes asking the right questions to get the responses you want. I'll probably be able to think up a few more later.

#44 User is offline OKei 

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:22 AM

• OKeijiDragon
  • Project:My MOTHER-fucking-3 Documentary
I have another one.

Why did you decide to stay in Japan to work on Sonic CD, while the other Sonic Team members traveled to the United States to work on Sonic 2 & Sonic 3? What influenced your decision?
This post has been edited by OKei: 25 September 2011 - 01:26 AM

#45 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:40 AM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51
Here's a question:

"A lot of Sonic games seem to involve visiting ancient ruins at some point. Was there any consideration to make Sonic in to sort of a treasure hunter, or do you know of any other reason for the fixation on this environment type?"

• 8 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users