don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Well yes I do know quite a bit about game design, and I know it would take forever, and not even for the content changes. Having to go through all the channels to get shit done can take forever. And besides, half the shit I said there wouldn't effect gameplay at all.

Jump on an badnik? -> Fixed bounce height
    Jump from a higher platform not holding jump? -> Fixed bounce height
    Jump on a badnik from fixed bounce height or lower while holding jump? -> Fixed bounce height
    Jump from a higher platform while holding jump? -> Bounce back to same height

That would not change shit all except to the expert players. You'd still be able to access all the same routes, since from the looks you are usually jumping from below anyway. And if there is an area you don't want Sonic to access, player clip or logical obstacle.

The rolling is something that would not effect gameplay much either. How fast you travel usually does not equate to problems unless you break the game. You can travel through Chemical Plant Zone both at a general run pace, and running so fast Sonic is no longer on screen.

Spindash speed is another thing that would not change much. Sonic seems to go un-godly fast thanks to it, and I can't think of an area that would require such a drastic boost. Having the insta button nurfed would be like the C-Stick in Smash Bros. You can preform those moves quickly and easily, but actually timing and charging the move would result in more power. So inversely, having the player charge their spindash classic style would result in a faster launch speed if used right, or a pathetic one if only reved once.

The only thing that would require testing would be the jump height, but even still I can't think of anything that would harm gameplay except reaching areas that Sonic would have to use skill for; like bouncing off a badnik to reach a higher level.

Now obviously with all of these proposed changes, they would have to be beta tested like fuck to remove any errors, since they likely tried to work on the physics first before putting any real level design on the table.

Lastly, why does Modern Sonic keep skipping at the shallow water/puddle section before the giant loop? Seems like bad design to me. And they really need to fix Sonic's eyes. Its only a small detail, but it keeps bugging me every time I see HD footage.

2. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I hope that Cash Cash remix of city escape is NOT what classic sonic uses in generations. It's fucking awful. My ears bleed.

Seriously sega, autotune for classic sonic?! Where are my kick ass chiptunes? or some sweet rock? or even house music for pete's sake, but NOT AUTOTUNES!!

3. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Er, that's all well and good, but you do know I was being sarcastic right? What I said was more or less Sonic Team's copout excuse for not fixing the physics in Sonic 4, you know. Just so we're on the same page here, bro.

Also watching that Gamespot E3 Demo footage again and Classic Sonic's S Rank dance is the cutest fucking thing ever.

4. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    No, that's it. You can hear it in the Gamespot video.

5. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

Currently uploading a video that matches the gameplay footage of City Escape with the awesome chiptune-techno remix from Sonic Boom on Youtube.

Hang tight.

There isn't any autotune in that. What are you talking about?

6. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Great impressions guys, hopefully SEGA takes all of this to heart and fixes these issues.

I'm happy a demo was announced, hopefully we'll get it eventually this Summer.

7. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Hater's gonna hate, I guess. I thought it was a neat little tune. v :v: v

8. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    I can't hear it in the gamespot video, the music is too low and the voices too high. I hope they change it, like they changed the modern green hill music.

9. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Nova Scotia, Canada
    I figured, but I still felt the need to explain it. I just think that if Sega does actually check here like they REALLY SHOULD, they have a map already routed for them on what to fix.

It would be interesting if we could send a letter on behalf of Sonic Retro (or maybe include other Sonic Communities as well to show a consensus) containing a list of things that should be changed or looked at again. Use the public as free beta testers with a demo to analyze over. If they played their cards right they could spit shine this game to a general perfection.

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Hey, wait a minute.
    [​IMG]
    I see what they did there.

Over a year ago.

11. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

My mind has been blown to bits.

YouTube video is halfway done processing. About 20 minutes now.

12. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain

Yes, there is autotune/electornic voices/ vocoder/ as you call it. Jut hear, 5:17 in this video:

http://youtu.be/V23J6ju2YuA

Seriously guys, the remix was pretty good until THAT started. And you can hear an autotune/electronic voices/vocoder /as you call it as a background chorus all the song. it's horrible. The remix would be orgasmic without that.

13. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

Vocoding and Autotuning are not one in the same. and even so, it's hardly overpowering or the main feature of the song.

Ted Poleys original vocals are still in there. I think you're overreacting.

EDIT: So, it's just the "Oh yeah" that's autotuned, and a little bit of the Endless Mine bit, the best feature of the remix. Ok, dude...

... :/ Sorry that you don't like it.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    More like they'd see a topic with almost 3000 posts.

Something like this?

Things to fix in Classic Sonic's gameplay:

-Jump feels heavy. Changing a single constant might fix this.
    -Rolling doesn't build up speed. Sonic should keep rolling down on his own while building speed once he's curled up, with no player input needed. See: U-shaped terrains in Spring Yard Zone.
    -Bounce height from enemies is fixed. It should depend on the height and falling speed Sonic's coming from.
    -Spindash is way too overpowered.

15. dsrb

dsrb

If the jump button is depressed at the moment of impact, that is! :)

16. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

17. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Nova Scotia, Canada
    Something like that. Reporting stuff that way is alright, but suggesting a solution to the problem would help. They could go off and make another change not to our liking, and then it might be too late to fix. With a detailed explanation, they would know exactly the fan would want.

18. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

I like the idea. I think we should be sure to thank them for all they've done too, though. I mean, yeah, the physics aren't right, but you can't deny they're trying this time.

Also, give it time to process, but here it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xgF51zERGo

19. Digiku

Digiku

Oldbie
    It might also be worth describing the essence of how a good majority of the Retro community felt the most ecstatic about a Sonic game in years. It's been said overwhelmingly -- moreso than Sonic Colors -- that they hit all the right chords with expansive level design, fanservice, etc., prior to hearing about the crappy rolling. Most of the rest of the game yells a 10/10, and to fix the rolling would make that positivity complete and uneqivocal with reviewers (hopefully). Though this stuff is debatable with anyone, this should oil up the reader before he has to read the critique.

Also, who could receive this letter for the maximum effect? Aaron is a great guy and very receptive to the community, whereas Patrick Riley is the so-called "Development Director" and he might know who to forward this to. I wonder if it could be effective?

20. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Nova Scotia, Canada
    Yes. Start the letter with something formal, thanking them for the last 20 years of service. Then after laying on a few compliments, ease into that the community as a whole want to raise some points of concern, but also provide suggestions or solutions to said concerns, resulting in a better game in the end for the fans.

-Edit-
    It would be likely best to send the email to several key members at Sega. It would suck to put effort into something like this just to get passed up or slip under the radar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.