don't click here

Who here started with Sonic 1, honestly.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Diablohead, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nensondubois

nensondubois

I was given Sonic 3 for one Christmas morning in the late 1990's (and also got Frogger as well, but I never liked Frogger :rolleyes: ). I spent days playing Sonic 3 and after a month or so, I finally beat it with everything. I was later exposed to Sonic 1 with mixed reviews, and soon beat Sonic 2 after buying it from a thrift store boxed 2 months following. Those were the best days of Sonic gaming.

2. Purge

Purge

Purge TV Show
    I'm working on conept art for a fan comic.
    Won't lie, my first Sonic game was Sonic 3 and Knuckles when I was two.

I played as Tails.

3. Skaarg

Skaarg

I actually got both Sonic 1 and 2 on the same day. I think I played Sonic 1 first, but I gave up because I couldn't get past LZ Act 3. Sonic 2 was a much easier game and not to mention it had 2 player mode for when playing with my friends or sister.

4. I unforunately didn't get the chance to play Sonic 1 first. I was about 3 1/2 when the first Sonic game came out. But I did play Sonic 2 first at my (much older) cousins house that Christmas after it was released. They lived in Philadelphia so I was only able to play it a few times when I went to visit my dad (as I lived with my mom in Virginia). But I remember McDonalds having the Sonic toys around the time Sonic 3 came out. And I filled out the contest paper on the side of the kid's meal bag and begged my mom to help me send it in. And about a month later, Sonic 3 came in the mail! It was so exciting. But I didn't have a MegaDrive at the time so I couldn't do much with it except for drool over the packaging and the manual. haha So I only had the chance to play it when I went to visit my dad during later that summer. Soon after, my grandmother bought me Sonic 2 (as she thought it would work with my Nintendo), and when I finally got my MegaDrive the Christmas Sonic and Knuckles came out, I went back and got Sonic 1. It was hard for me at first because there was no spin dash! But I kept at it and before long, I didn't even notice.

5. I started with Sonic 1, however I much preferred Sonic 2 to it. It did seem a lot easier to me, but I think overall it grabbed me more than the first game did.

6. Jetstreamx

Jetstreamx

Mississippi
    Linework for Knux Redux (fancomic)
    the first Sonic game I played was Sonic 2, and it was at a friends house. After that I constantly begged my parents for a Genesis and a Sonic game. The best I got was a Game Gear with Sonic 2. I wasn't able to get one of the Genesis titles until I got SEGA Smash Pack 2 on my Dreamcast. At first I felt like I got the inferior version if only because it didn't have spin dash. Years later after I bought Sonic Mega Collection and have had the chance to play more of them, I now hold Sonic 1 in regards as my favorite of the other classics. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the spin dash still, and I love the homing attack, but Sonic 1 gave me a true appreciation for playing Sonic without the added moves.

7. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

I started off with Sonic 1 as a friend of mine had bought a brand new megadrive and I played it at his house first. I then proceeded to beg my mum until she bought me one of my own, which I played every single day afterwards. I also remember the first time I played Sonic 2 which was on the Sega Bus in my local park, which they held a competition to get the highest score in 5 minutes and I won a Sonic T-Shirt and some other goodies.

The classics not only hold my favourite Sonic memories, but they literally give birth to my addiction to videogames.

8. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Played Sonic 1 pretty much on the release day. Played Sonic 2 pretty much on the release day. That's why I need original Sonic to live.

9. DrunkDoomguy

DrunkDoomguy

UK
    Sonic +
    Glad to say I also started with sonic 1
    I think I got it one christmas when I was very young, I believe it came with the megadrive console and I was hooked on sonic ever since. I remember being so happy when I finally collected all the chaos emeralds for the first time.

10. Amethyst

Amethyst

I did, along with 2.

I still have the ones I grew up with as well! They shall never leave me.

11. Vangar

Vangar

Started with Sonic 1, my Grandfather originally owned the Megadrive 1 with it. Then, I got one!

12. Nik Jam

Nik Jam

The Man Oldbie
    East Bay, California
    Sonic Mode: Sounds of the Universe (But not really)
    Yep, got a Genesis with Sonic 1 in late 91/early 92. I liked what I played of Sonic 1 at a store. I got Sonic 2, 3, Spinball and S&K shortly after they came out.

13. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    Started with Sonic 1- when, specifically, Im not sure, but it was definitely before Sonic 2. Born in 84, I remembered playing NES with a friend at the time, and his dad bought a Genesis (for himself, actually), so we got to use that too. Sonic launched, and the rest was history. Don't get me wrong, my friend and I were chomping at the bit for "Super Mario Brothers 4" when we saw pictures of this crazy shit:
    [​IMG]
    in some magazine, but Sonic was still fucking awesome. God damn, I love Sonic 1, it was so fucking good... here's a random video of how to play Marble Zone properly:

lol

14. Foxsnipe

Foxsnipe

Properly compared to what, out of curiosity?

I got Sonic 2 with my Genesis 2, so that was my first Sonic game. Picked up the first shortly afterwards though. Still have my Genesis and NES hooked up to my CRT TV.

15. Gobius

Gobius

Not only was Sonic 1 my first Sonic game, it was my first video game. Before we even owned a Genesis, we would rent one (back when Blockbuster would rent systems) and Sonic. We soon bought a Genesis/Sonic 1 bundle package and haven't looked back since.

Also, I still own that Genesis and that Sonic 1, though I'm not sure how functional they still are.

16. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    In West Michigan, I never saw hide nor hair of Sonic 2 or 3, and neither did any of my friends. However, I did end up with a SEGA Genesis and Sonic 1 very early on in life, and a trip to some place in Traverse City netted us a SEGA Game Gear and Sonic Chaos. Outside of that, I once played Sonic Pocket Adventure on a 'strange device'(I hadn't a clue what the system actually was at the time) I found in my cousin's closet.

I grew up with Sonic 1, never getting past Labyrinth until after Mega Collection came out.

I literally didn't know where Sonic went until Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on the Gamecube had a couple commercials out here. I literally dropped my jaw. Good times.

17. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Haha, that reminds me of an old set of memories.

As a kid, my brother got a Sega Genesis for his birthday, 1998. I was 5 at the time. It came with Vectorman and Sonic and Knuckles. I mostly played Sonic and Knuckles, always, ALWAYS getting stuck on Sandopolis Zone.

We met a guy a year later who lived down the street who had nearly every game system to date. His 16 Bit systems got the most neglect, so when I asked to borrow his Sonic games, he obliged. The first one I borrowed was Sonic 1, because even then as a young gamer I liked playing games in order.

I was really bad at Sonic 1. Really, really bad. I died usually in Marble Zone Act 2, or Marble Zone's boss. The one time I actually managed to get to Spring Yard Zone, I was so filled with joy that I ran around the house, bouncing off the walls in sheer joy over my meager accomplishment. I never did make it past Sping Yard Zone act 1, and had to return the game.

I asked for Sonic Adventure for my birthday, but instead got Sonic 3D Blast. I was disappointed but grew to like it and 100%'d it by the next month.

I also borrowed Sonic 3 from him, but was totally unaware of the Lock-On capability until after I returned the cart, so I didn't discover Sonic 3&K until I found a rom for it online several years later, 2003.

I also borrowed Spinball from him but I only managed to beat the first table.

I ended up buying Sonic 2 with my allowance, playing that one over and over, dying always at Chemical Plant Act 2. By the time it was 2001 I had actually managed to get to Mystic Cave.

I hadn't managed to actually beat a Sonic game until I moved again and met another family with a neglected Genesis. They gave me all of their Sonic games. That year, I beat Sonic 1 and 2 with all the emeralds. I hadn't managed to beat Sonic 3 with all emeralds until 2005, Sonic only.

And then, very recently, I managed to beat Sonic 3&K with all emeralds, Sonic only.

That's all my experiences with Classic Sonic.

18. mrhatboxghost

mrhatboxghost

Although I was born in 1995 I started with Sonic 1. I clearly remember playing Green Hill Zone and getting to Spring Yard Zone before running out of all my lives.

19. Nova

Nova

Oh, I'm in this camp. I started out with Sonic 1 before Sonic 2 was even out, so yeah.

The advantages to having a dad who thought "Two years old is old enough for a Sega".

20. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Of course I did. Did you think I was some sort of poser?

Started with the Master System and eventually beat both Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 8-bit with all emeralds.

Next experience was to hire an MDI with Sonic 2, and I flogged it's arse in my first play through. The 8-bit games made me tough and well 'ard.

I then sold my Master System to buy a MDII bundle with Sonic 1 and 2, and soon after clocked them both.

I then bought a Powerbase converter and recollected the 8-bit games, since I loved them so much, and my mad skills required a decent challenge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.