don't click here

How would you redesign Sonic the Hedgehog?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Pulse, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    AWESOME. I think you could well be my favourite artist at this forum. :ssh: Your sunflower is simple, but it pwn's Sega's to hell and back.

I agree. The spine shape is what makes Sonic Sonic. The new ones make him look less like a hedgehog and more like some sort of octopus creature.

2. [​IMG]

Sega will do this in a sonic game eventually, meanwhile I'll wait.

3. Classik

Classik

SEGATA SANSHIRO Member
    Kentucky, USA
    ACT SIXTEEN STUDIOS
    Me thinks you just wrecked my Childhood. :ohdear:

4. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    Me thinks you just vindicated mine. :v:

5. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Can you draw some references so people can 3D model this fantastic stuff?

Sonic from the front standing with arms straight out at the sides.
    Sonic from the right side standing with arms down.
    Sonic from the back standing with arms straight out at the sides.

6. Sancho

Sancho

@ Juve, the whimsy is exactly what I was trying to bring back. I have a couple more Robotnik sketches I'll probably get around to posting soon.

@ OSM+Mercury, you guys are just too damn kind. I've been out of the art game for awhile, at least insofar as sharing any of it online. These kinds of comments are just the ego boost I need to keep my head in the game. Thanks much.

@RedStripedShoes, dynamic poses seem to flow a hell of a lot easier for me. Also, with something as be-all end-all as modeling references I can already tell it's going to take quite a while before I'm happy with what I'm working on, but know that as of today I AM working on it.

7. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Just to rub in some more. Yes, that art is awesome.

8. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Need someone to polish your shoes and fluff your pillows? Because I totally fucking will.

Someone needs to make a model of your Sonic ASAP.

9. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    I actually used Paint Shop Pro 7 for that, although Photoshop probably has a similar filter. It is a very useful effect. If you want, you can send the psd file to me at admin(at)saturdaymorningsonic(dot)com and I'll throw it up on my server like I did with the others. Then you can just link to it from there.

Nah, I understand. I'm just absolutely thrilled with the model that you and the others put together. It's retro, it's cute, it's cool, but it doesn't look the least bit outdated. It's the perfect modern translation of Sonic into 3D—exactly what I've been envisioning in my head for so long but could never get on paper for my lack of drawing skill. And the fact that it was the result of a collaborative effort seems to suggest that there's really something to this. I'm excited to see how it's spreading, as I'm sure you are!

I'd love to see the rest of your portfolio. Let me know when you post it :)

10. Sancho

Sancho

Well it's been a long week at work, I finally got some time to myself to sit down and draw. The more I think about it, the more I realize that classic Sonic is dead. He never really translated all that well into 3d, anyway. That being said, I think it's time for modern Sonic to die as well. An amalgam hedgehog must be created. A Neo Sonic, if you will.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I dunno, I'm really not happy with him at all, but I'm too close to see what's wrong. Granted, symmetry and inactive poses were never my strong suit. I feel like I'm moving in the right direction, but I'd really appreciate some C&C from you guys before I spend any more time.

11. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Am I the only one that finds this to be sexy? :v:

12. Sancho

Sancho

I'm not sure what's more repulsive: chicksonic's fashion sense or your perversion.

Really though, do you regularly raid preschooler's book bags for meat-flogging fodder? I've seen sexier doodles magnetized to fridge doors.

13. I should have gave him tits.

14. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Just because this seems to be the topic to say this in:

I wouldn't redesign Sonic because Sonic is fucking fine the way he is. That green eyed demon everyone bitches about came to be during the original Sonic Team's reign and is thus a natural evolution of the black eyed cash cow those people fondle themselves to.

Get over it.

There, feel better now.

15. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Green's a pretty bitchin' color. I mean, the Green Ranger's green (why wouldn't you put him in your sig? I'm almost jealous), and he's pretty badass. Even when he was having issues losing his powers, his courage and determination helped him come out on top. And his dagger was a goddamn flute.

A GOD. DAMNED. FLUTE-DAGGER.

*ahem* Hew, your Sonic is fantastic. I can actually see that as being a legit 'alternate evolution' of classic Sonic's design.

16. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

*Shoes should be a bit bigger.
    *The face looks a bit weird.
    *Why did you give him shoulders?

The quills from behind look beautiful though.

17. Sancho

Sancho

I don't really dislike modern Sonic. Green eyes are A-OK with me, and making Sonic leaner with longer quills really could have bolstered his sense of speed, were it not done so poorly. I truly feel that the edgy, dramatic, graffiti-esque depiction of Sonic in the early Dreamcast days was extremely refreshing…. at first. However, classic Sonic left us with only 7 years of action under his belt, whereas your green-eyed demon has been lingering for a healthy 11. I don't think all that much needs to change, but we're not the same audience that SEGA was pandering to in 1998. Popular music has shifted from gangster rap towards more dancy electro stuff, and with all of this hullabaloo about greenhouse gasses and renewable resources, be it an overblown fad or not, it's a perfect time for Sonic to stand for environmental activism instead of the gooey power of friendship garbage he's been gagging us with for a decade now. Sonic deserves a fresh coat of paint, and SEGA stands to profit greatly from it, so I really don't see the fucking problem with the fanbase requesting it.

That being said, I really can't stand to look at this any more today:
    [​IMG]
    The more I diddle with it the more I feel like this:
    [​IMG]

Personally, I think SEGA should stop making Sonic games entirely, and repurpose him as a figurehead for the legalization of medical marijuana.
    [​IMG]
    Good Night.

18. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    You just became my favorite person ever.

19. I always side with good ol' Hew James (though back in my day we called 'im Sancho).

[​IMG]
    Hard not to agree, right?

20. Sancho

Sancho

AHA! Sancho it is, then. Thank you, Trunks. Hew Jaymes was something I needed to feel out for a major character I've been working on, and it didn't take long to realize that it sucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.