don't click here

Nostalgia Critic reviews Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The site is up again.

2. Spindash54

Spindash54

Did you ever wonder how he spins in place? Member
    Blow-up Pumpkin and Woman.

Never once in my childhood did I question such a thing.

What.

The Fuck?

3. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    Classic

4. That was awesome how mad he got at the 1st and how pleasantly surprised with the 2nd.

5. Funny review. I never saw Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog on TV, but I used to always rent the videos. The randomness and stupidity of the humor was half the fun.

6. CheeseBacon

CheeseBacon

I am the greatest character ever. Member
    Flash
    I really can't see how having footage of your effort shown to tens of thousands of people is a bad thing. The only people who are going to notice the fact that it was a hack are people who know that they exist and probably know about places like this. I don't see any undeserved credit going NC's way. I find it hard to consider it anything but more exposure for you.

If nothing else, it got me to come back here to see who's hack was in his video. And now I know. I didn't expect that person to be upset by it though.

7. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    Haha, brilliant comparison :)

8. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I was thinking the exact same thing...

...What is the problem with that?

9. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.

The fact that even if Doug takes no credit, no one knows who the hell's effort it is. Well, except those of us who go here. So to a lot of people, it's just a quick clip of a game that most people will pass right over.

10. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    I can't believe I didn't notice that on my first viewing, nice eyes.

I thought the review was really neat (and funny to watch as his review mostly uses examples from the SSSSS Squad episode, which I was in the process of transcripting for the wiki) and full of laugh-out-loud moments. Plus, he brought back the classic 'OF COURSE!' comment, which hasn't been on a NG video for quite some time.

Seeing SatAM on the video was a real treat, and his reaction to SatAM Robotnik was hilarious. Overall, it was a great video. :)

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    Truth be told, I hate the nostalgia critic, and pretty much every "character" in that mold (avgn, etc). Getting angry about "how much something sucks" isn't funny. That is, bar none, the LAZIEST form of comedy. There's a reason you don't see that type of humor on TV - it's too juvenile even for television. Call me crotchety, but if someone had to add their "funny" commentary about a medium, I'd rather turn to the masters of commentary.

12. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    On top of this, I'm having a hard time grasping exactly why anyone should feel compelled to ask for permission to use footage of someone's Sonic hack in a video when the creators of said hack almost certainly didn't ask the original developers for permission before tweaking/desecrating their hard work. If you're looking for entitlement, you're in the wrong game.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Two names: Statler. Waldorf.
    Hells yes.

"Wow, a segment on this show that's actually enjoyable!"
    "I dunno, these ending credits have such stupid animation in the background"
    "I know, but it means the pain is about to end!"
    DO HO HO HO HO HO HO

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    I wish I could highfive over the internet. Statler and Waldorf is what everyone of these two-bit hacks wishes they were. But all the f-bombs and screaming in the world can't hold a candle to the calm wit of those two.

But I still have to profess my eternal love for Joel, Mike, and the bots. They best even the muppets.

EDIT: Also, another thing Joel, Mike, and the bots, along with Statler and Waldorf had that every internet personality lacks? CHARM. Those are endearing characters. Dude in a baseball cap screaming "fuck" into the camera? Not so much.

15. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Many of Doug's jokes are actually well-written and don't always have a connection with the suckyness of the movie. Sure, he yells once in a while, but that's not forbidden. If it's in combination with good jokes, it definitly works.

Of course, I respect it if you dislike the humor, but I know I'll be watching his next video laughing my fucking arse off.

16. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    I will admit that I had been looking forward to this particular review for several weeks, and it was a bit of a let-down in the end. I was kind of hoping that his review would be a little more... I don't know, 'fair'. Like, throw in the rare compliment while tearing the series a new one.

It seems Mr. Walker's not a real fan of Sonic, as he doesn't even mention how, despite the fact that AoStH was of inferior production quality, that it actually respected the original material a lot more (Sonic always travelling instead of being settled in one village, badniks from Sonic 2, and the presence of Chaos Emeralds).

But it's not just that. He hardly covers any of the material beyond the first 3 episodes, and there are plenty worse examples of suckiness in future episodes. One example I can think of in particular is in the episode "Grounder the Genius" where Robotnik tries to shut off Grounder by pressing his ON button. :P

Also, he left out the most annoying character of all, Professor von Schlemmer. There was an abortion of the character. I would have enjoyed seeing NC react to him.

17. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    Link Here.

I love the Nostalgia Critic and for those who've never watched his videos or reviews, I highly recommend them. For me, he's easier to swallow than the Video Game Nerd simply because he doesn't have a thick Northern accent and his temperament and reactions are about 98% the same as mine when confronted with the same films and other such entertainment he reviews. (Edit: He reviews SatAM too, forgot about that...)

My thoughts on his review are that I feel he might have been a little harsh given that the show pretty much didn't have much to go on considering America's standpoint on the Sonic mythos, and I believe that real cartoons are what you see in AoStH: slapstick and inane animation styles ala Tom and Jerry, the Looney Toons and so on. But, still, it was entertaining to see someone (who I assume is not so much a fan of the Sonic series nor very involved with it) else's take on something I pretty much grew up on without my personal bias.

So, what did you think?

18. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I like the NC's reviews of movies, but I've found that when he reviews entire cartoons or TV shows he winds up only going through 1-3 episodes tops.

19. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    well, it takes time to review a series, so he probably sees the first three episodes or so, also if by three episodes a series sucks, then it will suck indeed.

20. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    That's true I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.