don't click here

Project Needlemouse: old threads

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Now it's my time to go picky.

Yeah, but doesn't this cause...

?

IMO, "lag" isn't specific to online traffic at all. According to dictionary.com, "to lag" is "to fail to maintain a desired pace or to keep up". Latency during transmission/receiving of online packets is just one of the many reasons that can cause a game to not maintain a steady pace, as is the lack of CPU horsepower to handle complex game logic (that might even have been poorly coded). The final outcome is the same: the game lags.

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    yes, framerate drops are a type of lag, and yes it's technically correct, but it's not the best term available. Again, when speaking in the world of video games, lag refers to latency online.

It'd be like referring to a palette as a bunch of lights instead of colors. I mean, yes, technically they are lights, but the common, accepted term, in the world of gaming, is color.

3. TheGreen1

TheGreen1

Are we really getting into the technicalities of the definition of the word "Lag"?
    Do we really have to go through that?

Anyways, you can have lag through PC components and through Online use. Lag works both ways CoolJerk.

Anyways, maybe Sonic Team realized that 2D Sonic Games are the best bet, because after Sonic Adventure 2, the 3D Sonic games got boring.
    Either that, or people want the old school Sonic speed runs that they could do in 2D. I know I miss that, and I'd love for Sonic to go 2D again.

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    My problem is that they really think the only way to represent retro-styled Sonic again is to go all-out in 2D and everything on it, which isn't really necessary. I mean really, it shouldn't be that hard for them to make a 3D version of the Genesis games: just make a bugfixed and modified version of SA1's engine and wham, instant classic Sonic in 3D.

In fact, the only reasons SA1's engine wasn't exactly the "perfect" 3D Sonic gameplay was because you could spam the Spin Dash, physics and camera both got wonky at times, and scripted loops. If they could fix those things, I don't see why it couldn't be perfect.

5. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Honestly though, Sega's been out of the classic 2D Sonic game for a while now. If they're ever going to get Classic Sonic going in 3D they'll need to make sure they can still get the original formula right, and 2D is the only place we'll really be able to see.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Jungle Joyride Day, having replayed it again a couple times over the past couple of days, I maintain has absolutely no good qualities.

7. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    It's December tomorrow, and still no word on anything about this game. My prediction about getting info around E3 is probably true.

8. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

I think we'll learn something by the end of the year. Hopefully.

And when we do finally see this game... if this topic can have over 100 pages in 2 months over a simple, gameplay-less teaser trailer, the thread for the actual game should have over 100 pages in less than 2 weeks.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

There's the Spike VGAs on December 12th. I'm not holding out for it, but it could be something to look out for.

10. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

I never thought about that. It was said that the show had a few surprises, but for all we know it could just be a round-up of some me-too FPS games.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I'm sure the topic will diverge into many others when we get enough info.

12. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

An admin came in and said when the game's finally revealed, a single new thread should be made for it and all new info/discussion. So yeah, I guess that's how it will be handled.

13. Machenstein

Machenstein

The primary difference between classic and modern Sonic is really in the presentation. It's the reason why Sonic Heroes failed to be classic Sonic despite its every attempt to be so. Then there games such as Sonic Rush which, despite being 2D, still manage to be modern Sonic in virtually every way. That is because both Sonic Heroes and Rush use many of the staples that modern Sonic is known for. The Sonic Adventure redesigns, voice acting, the modern Sonic cast (Shadow, Rouge, Blaze, Silver, etc...), grinding, Homing Attack, Light Dash, chao, Egg Pawns, and everything else that makes modern Sonic modern. So you're right, being 2D isn't the only way to represent classic Sonic. The people in charge of the IP can start by sacrificing modern Sonic staples in favor of classic Sonic ones. Badniks instead of Egg Pawns, flickies instead of chao, Spin Dash instead of Sonic Boost, and Ohshima's design instead of Uekawa's. That's the only way they can ever truly get back to classic Sonic.

You could try changing the gameplay, but classic Sonic is ultimately in the presentation.

14. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Scarred Sun did I believe.

15. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    THIS JUST IN!

I currently have the Holiday '09 issue of Official Xbox Magazine in front of me as I'm typing this message. In fine print on page 39, below the article about Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, I found this short entry:

"The Rightful King Shall Return?: Sega has been teasing a game codenamed Project Needlemouse, which may or may not be a new 2D Sonic. Tune in next issue."

You all know what this means, right?? It means that in less than a month, we might finally get some new information on Project Needlemouse!!

Yes! Halle-freakin'-lujah! I finally have a reason to be extremely stoked about this game all over again. :D

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    bout fucking time. I was just thinking the other day that it's been 3 months since the announcement. Stop teasing us D:

17. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Wasn't the video technically a teaser? =P

Can't wait to hear more, though. Still gotta wait a month, but at least I know when something's coming.

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Fucking finally, can't wait for next month to hear some info besides that it's in HD and 2D and built from the ground up!

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually I just thought of something. If they have information, they might have screenshots.

If they have screenshots that means they're probably on Sega's FTP

Someone get into that FTP and find out information. Sega's pretty stupid with concealing this type of stuff, doing some snooping may prove profitable to our cause.

20. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Argh I can't wait a month D:

Seriously, Sega, making us wait until after Christmas is a jerk move. Still, this gets me uberpumped for more information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.