don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Agreed, but only in respect to the glow. The distortion of the wall itself is a huge distraction. There needs to be a solid checkerboard in the background I think. Or at the very least a better visual solution in regards to the wall.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Looks like the texture got stretched in the process, and now it looks like some kind of flower... But it's an improvement.

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Flare, nice work! The texture got a bit strange but that is the shape =P

4. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    This piece is entirely devoted to Michael Jackson and the inhabitants of Luxembourg.

[​IMG]

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Why are you still using the faded colors? Also if flare concept gets some tweaks it'll be perfect IMO.

6. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    It also doesn't look like the original design. :3

7. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    I think it was is similar to Gambit's 3D mock-up except with beveled corners instead of a flat square. And from what I see, distinct circles on the checkerboard design just don't mix. You can try a circle glow that gradually fades toward the edges to not give the impression of a circle. Just seeing a circle imposed on a very sharp 90 degree square design is kind of ruining the pattern. Or at least for me.

8. test-object

test-object

3 reasons actually.

1. It's inside of the gap, so it's darker
    2. It will be distracting if a bright emerald becomes even brighter
    3. The original sprites looks faded itself.

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    No. I'm not talking about brightness, but hue and saturation. Your looks too blueish and desaturated so the colors don't match the tropical color scheme we already have.

10. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, I think you're either working with a document that's set to CMYK or just mixing your own colors with the CMYK sliders. We want RGB. CMYK is if you plan on printing something, and even then there are some printers that use RGB to print. Now, please note that there are three different ways to select colors in Illustrator. I don't know if you know how to change it, but there's a little drop down arrow on the top right of the color window that lets you change to RGB, CMYK, or HSB. I personally use HSB a lot, but they each have their uses. As for changing the color mode in the document itself, yes it does make a difference, go to File>Document Color Mode>CMYK/RGB.

If just changing these things doesn't make the color match the original exactly, just alter the colors until they do match.

EDIT: Here's the exact same original tile in RGB and CMYK.

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. test-object

test-object

I'm sick of seeing Gambit as latest reply (no offence). If any of you people wish to work on the emerald a bit more, here's the Illustrator file.

12. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    So is this about what you wanted to do with it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. test-object

test-object

Kinda. A bit less glow and more animation, such as the white stripes moving across the emerald.
    Anyway, yours is better than I could do :3

14. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Feel free to mess with it more, then. This is kinda your thing right now, so I'll see what else you come up with. I just wanted to lay down some more foundation for you to go off.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nnwz3j30wyn

15. As well as changing the size of the glow, you should also change its opacity.

16. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Well, I noticed that the little emblem on the title screen has been seriously neglected, so I gave the little guy some love.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    I think there needs to be a thick black outline around the yellow circle.

18. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Are ya sure it really needs a black outline?

Got a couple variants here, a clean one and a textured one. I think the clean one would fit better since it's so small and you can't really see it anyways, but at a higher res I like the textured version more.

original
    [​IMG]

4x size (old version)
    [​IMG]

4x size
    [​IMG][​IMG]

300 dpi
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    The sprite isn't a circle though, looked to me on first impression to be a gold chaos emerald.

20. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    It is supposed to be a circle, it's just impossible to draw a circle that small.