don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I'm being realistic :colbert:

2. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Yeah...blue hedgehogs huh...

3. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Just for the sake of context, here's where the object can be seen (with light / without light)
    View attachment 2432

There's two versions of the emerald light, but both have a round glow to it. I'm guessing some poke out of the wall, and some are placed in the wall.

4. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    You couldn't have said that better! =P

Hands of Robotic monkeys...

5. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

It's just the checkerboard pattern that's different, nothing else.

6. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Sure. But why a different checkboard pattern instead of keeping one type? Variety?

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Yep, but the visual effect (even if it was not intended to be like this) is one is out of the wall and the other is in it. (IMO!)

8. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

I always thought that was tile limitations or something?

Edit: Damnit

9. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Yeah... just don't caps lock, all right? It's still considered yelling in my book.

Thanks a lot for that screenshot. It'll help me :)
    I'll see what I can do with the second glow. I'm still working on it, but I'm taking a break for a day or two.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    This is exactly what I was thinking. I think we should go this way (but with the emerald, perhaps).

Any chances of giving those frames a try, ME?

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    In fact, I need to finish the rings (yep I'm redoing them), and I think we will achieve better results if we use a 3D there.

12. Elratauru

Elratauru

[​IMG]

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    BlueStreak used 3D in his spikes and people loved them :colbert:

14. Elratauru

Elratauru

[​IMG]

damn, I can even talk without writing xD

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    If you are the one that will make the squares distort in a 3D way manually, go ahead. :colbert:

16. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Maybe I should just mess with my rings some more. :P

17. So hopefully I won't offend anyone, but I feel the need to reiterate that these really shouldn't be too distracting/noticeable. In fact, until the screenshot T.Q. posted, I had no idea what was going on here. :psyduck:

I like the idea of bringing a bit more charm to the zones by placing little background touches in some of the tiles that, when looked for, stand out for their level of detail. That being said, too much detail (or glow) in places that were never intended to be focal points will probably just cause a sensory overload. It could be very easy for S2HD to lose the big overall picture (with all tiles together) if tiles are individually remastered to all look stand alone beautiful.

Moreover, be sure to think about how it will look when all of these emeralds are flashing in sync. If they're not flashing in sync, it will almost certainly be distracting to the player. If they are flashing in sync (and look too bright, shiny, and glowy) then it will look pretty canned and dumb. If someone would like to try a new direction, perhaps flashing these guys as sonic runs by them (as if a light in the foreground is changing the parts of emerald it lights as the camera moves and perspective "changes") might be cool.

Anyway, just some thoughts - in general I think the style minus the glow looks spot on!

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That might be even more distracting, and would clash with the original designers' intentions.

Seriously, as long as the glow matches the original's size, color and tempo, it shouldn't be more distracting than it was originally. It's quite simple.

19. Flare

Flare

ME is this what your thinking of? Not sure and certainly not accurate but I wasn't sure of what you really meaning and just so I am on the same line...

[​IMG]

20. I think that is a turn in the correct direction...